Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Just found out my new Mac Pro is arriving two weeks early. Yay. Of course it's coming right when I can't afford to take the time to migrate or mess around too much, but after two months…

I haven't decided on a monitor yet. Currently have a 30" HP LP3065 and tempted to stick with it a little bit until things settle down a bit - either Apple gets off their butts and gets a new Cinema Display out, the LG Ultrawide gets released…or I have more time.

The specs on the monitor are found: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176071

and I'm guessing I need the dual link DVI adaptor:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter?fnode=51

I pre-purchased an empty Pegasus2 so I can access the drives that are currently in my 2008 MacPro, but in reading the instructions I'm a little concerned. I thought one simply put the drives into the Pegasus and then one could access them individually on the new computer. But the instructions that come with the Pegasus all talk about formatting the drives, which would mean erasing them, no?

Is there some setting I need to do first in order to have them behave the way I hope?

Mr. O

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2014
Jbod

If you want to have simply independent drives in the Pegasus 2 enclosure, you can't have RAID settings. I believe the Pegasus 2 has an option for JBOD (Just a Bunch of Drives) or independent drives. I went with the Other World Computing Mercury Elite Pro Dual Thunderbolt as an enclosure (has RAID and JBOD) simply because (among other good features) one is able to easily switch between how one wishes to set up the drives (switch is on the back of the enclosure). ;)

matoch

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2006
Just found out my new Mac Pro is arriving two weeks early. Yay. Of course it's coming right when I can't afford to take the time to migrate or mess around too much, but after two months…

I haven't decided on a monitor yet. Currently have a 30" HP LP3065 and tempted to stick with it a little bit until things settle down a bit - either Apple gets off their butts and gets a new Cinema Display out, the LG Ultrawide gets released…or I have more time.

The specs on the monitor are found: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176071

and I'm guessing I need the dual link DVI adaptor:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter?fnode=51

I pre-purchased an empty Pegasus2 so I can access the drives that are currently in my 2008 MacPro, but in reading the instructions I'm a little concerned. I thought one simply put the drives into the Pegasus and then one could access them individually on the new computer. But the instructions that come with the Pegasus all talk about formatting the drives, which would mean erasing them, no?

Is there some setting I need to do first in order to have them behave the way I hope?

By default when you load the drives it's going to display them individually. I had to go through a number of steps before I could wipe mine to create a raid 5.

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
By default when you load the drives it's going to display them individually. I had to go through a number of steps before I could wipe mine to create a raid 5.

That is so good to know. The instructions that came with it (and what I could find online) were all over the place and contradictory in places. Given that the Apple Store claimed it was 'put them in and access them on your new Mac Pro' it seemed that would be the case…but when the manufacturer throws "Initialize" and "Format" into every set up instruction…with the word "automatic' thrown in for more fear and concern…

Just want them to be accessible until I get things transferred and set up…then the fun can begin with setting it up as RAID

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.