New Mac pro as web server or go with a PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by twoodcc, Nov 5, 2011.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

I have a 2006 first gen Mac pro, and it has been great. Its starting to show its age, and I'm thinking of getting a new Mac pro. The primary use would be a web server and web development for my personal use (but still priceless information), and I would probably use it for normal activity also.

Now I have an i7 pc running Ubuntu right now as my server. I switched from my Mac pro bc I thought it would be faster - but I'm now finding out that it isn't working so well. I'm just using it on my home network, and it's constantly saying that the server stopped responding or it's not there, and then in spurts it will work very fast.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

How would the 2.4 ghz 8-core Mac pro stack up against my old Mac pro and my i7 920 4-core pc?

Thanks in advance

2. RedReplicant, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Why do you need i7 power for a webserver that is just on your LAN? I have a box with a Pentium 4 2.8C and 2GB of ram running Archlinux w/ sabnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato, irssi in screen connected to 6 servers, apache w/ mysql/php, proftpd, and serves 8TB of tv shows/movies/etc to my jailbroken AppleTV over Samba. Never skips a beat or lags.

Are you wired or wireless? What webserver? Anything in the system logs? Does the whole connection drop for the webserver when it times out? How is the SMART status on the hard drives in the server?

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

I have a wireless network with 3 airport extremes throughout the house.

I stream lots of video, and I run scripts on some sites for testing. I go through terabytes of data per month.

I use apache and php/MySQL.

4. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you're having wireless connection issues with the server, have you tried connecting it to one of the Airports via wire?

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

the server is connected to one of the airports via an ethernet cable.

it's crazy really. i have no idea what the problem is, but i'm running ubuntu 11.04, and i'm using dhcp with manual ip address. i don't know if it's some setting in there or what. but i'm already in the process of transferring everything back to my mac pro for now. (of course that will take over 16 hours to do)

6. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

This definitely sounds like bandwidth is the bottleneck rather than the CPU. A wired network, preferably with gigabit, should fix the issues. Even if you can't do that permanently, at least you can then investigate wireless issues such as channels, antenna placement, etc.

7. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well that could be it. i have moved stuff around while i was going from the mac to the pc. and now i've moved stuff back to the mac pro. so now i'll see how everything works for me.

i'm running lion server now on the mac pro. we'll see how it does

8. papoopeepoo, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

papoopeepoo macrumors member

I agree the problem may be with a possible networking bottleneck in your wireless setup. Gigabit ethernet is still way above and beyond 802.11n speeds.

'n' should be fast enough to stream even HD video, however, so definitely check the antennae placement.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

In theory, yes. But back in the real world it's usually not.

10. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

You know, I thought about it and I had a really similar issue with my fileserver. It would cause the ATV2 to buffer, not serve sites from Apache, and not allow me to SSH in to the box while it either par2 checks usenet downloads or unrars a usenet download.

I racked my brain and couldn't figure it out but after taking a look with `iostat` it turns out I was maxing out the root hard drive and causing the process wait time to shoot through the ***** roof. Worth looking into if you've got anything hard drive intensive going.

11. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

Exactly. Walls, large metallic items like major appliances, interference from other wireless devices - these all affect network performance. Wireless is great, but for best speed and reliability, wired is the best choice.

----------

Good points. Test by shutting down all other processes, and disable Time Machine as well.

12. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I just use an Ubuntu VM on my Mac Pro for a webserver... doubt you'd need a whole Mac Pro just for the webserver, unless its running huge databases and performing massive server side tasks.

13. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

Correct. A Mac Mini - even a model from the last few years - is sufficiently powerful for most websites. Proof: http://macminicolo.net