Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Perhaps you are hoping for something that might not happen - a wide spread adoption of an overpriced proprietary PC.

No. Far more driven by the expectation that Apple is using a factory that probably has a cap of 5-7K units per month. There is about zero rational reason to engage a factory that has demand that designed around the initial demand bubble when a new product starts up. The other 11 months of the year are going to dedicate how well overall the product does.

Apple has engaged the Osborne effect for well over a year ( in June '12 pragmatically announce new Mac Pro for 2013). So there is going to be sizable number of folks who defer buying. Apple withdrew the Mac Pro from the EU markets back in mid Feburary - early March. Again creates a demand bubble. Finally stops selling the 2012 models in October but don't launch till mid-late December. Another source of a demand bubble of deferred purchases.

So while yes some subset of folks who want "box with slots" will have gone elsewhere there is still a high likelihood that there is a substantial number of folks waiting to "pull the trigger". It may take 2-6 weeks for Apple to 'catch up' .

The "shocked" and "blah, blah, blah" are far more directed at this product versus demand bubble mismatch should in no way be a surprise to Apple or tacitly accepted by the folks who report such 'spin' unquestionably.

Granted those who want the latest and the greatest status symbol will immediately buy it, but those who actually want to do things with it might consider other options like iMac, MBP or even a PC.

The new form factor fits a sizable number of people who want to get work done. The notion that primarily just a "status symbol" box is myopic . Not everyone wants to keep all their data stuff into a single box. There are multiple billion $ per year storage companies that plainly illustrate otherwise. There are also a fairly broad variety of tasks that the computational horsepower inside the box can very effectively do.

Apple doesn't have to target the exact same set of folks the older Mac Pro targets. For one, some of them aren't there anymore (workloads plateaued and they have moved 'down' in the Mac line up). Second, catering to that group wasn't leading to insprising sales ( no way Apple would have let Mac Pro go stale if this was a 'hot' , or even midly hot, market. )

The price is a bit high, but whether value proposition works is far more critically balanced on whether the software shows in next year to unlock more of the potential. It isn't that the hardware is lacking in potential.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Perfect example of not knowing if the product will be popular to see if they will need to include some kind of upgrade features.
We are already looking at versions of MPmini.
This will also change as they will see a very low sales of it.
I would estimate a max of 5 to 10k unit sales in the first year, and about 20% returns. This will allow apple to build a much better and easier upgradible true mac pro and not a Mini MacPro or scrap the line completely.
I'm just hoping they will realize they made a mistake.
I do not know if you all remember the cube and the first macbook the aluminium version that change into macbook pro, they had it for about a year and the sales of MacBooks pro went down so they decided to come out with macbook air instead.
just my $0.02.
But everybody has an opinion.
Still waiting on true bench reports and test compering.
Write speeds to DVD and BR as well working with external drives 5.1 (4, 6, 8 and 12 core) VS 6.1 or 1.1 (4,6,8 and 12core) or whatever they will call it as well seeing performance in Photoshop.
Copying speeds from drive A to Drive B.
I will be watching development of this nMP especially as soon as it will hit the shelves,
Shoot if it looks cool I may buy one for my HT :).

A little off topic here, but we've got time to digress a bit it seems.

You've been very consistent in the last couple of weeks voicing your displeasure with the nMPmini (as you call it). And I'm assuming from that monicker, that what bothers you the most, is the lack of upgradability. But then today, I noticed the list of stuff in your sig, and I'm now wondering how that could be. :confused:

Based on your sig, it would seem like money is no object for you... (And your statement that you might buy one for a HTPC only reinforces this). You seem like the kind of guy that would buy a top-end nMP at every refresh and not think twice... And therefore never need to worry about upgrades since you always have the latest and greatest. What am I missing?

----------

No. Far more driven by the expectation that Apple is using a factory that probably has a cap of 5-7K units per month. There is about zero rational reason to engage a factory that has demand that designed around the initial demand bubble when a new product starts up. The other 11 months of the year are going to dedicate how well overall the product does.

Apple has engaged the Osborne effect for well over a year ( in June '12 pragmatically announce new Mac Pro for 2013). So there is going to be sizable number of folks who defer buying. Apple withdrew the Mac Pro from the EU markets back in mid Feburary - early March. Again creates a demand bubble. Finally stops selling the 2012 models in October but don't launch till mid-late December. Another source of a demand bubble of deferred purchases.

So while yes some subset of folks who want "box with slots" will have gone elsewhere there is still a high likelihood that there is a substantial number of folks waiting to "pull the trigger". It may take 2-6 weeks for Apple to 'catch up' .

The "shocked" and "blah, blah, blah" are far more directed at this product versus demand bubble mismatch should in no way be a surprise to Apple or tacitly accepted by the folks who report such 'spin' unquestionably.

The new form factor fits a sizable number of people who want to get work done. The notion that primarily just a "status symbol" box is myopic . Not everyone wants to keep all their data stuff into a single box. There are multiple billion $ per year storage companies that plainly illustrate otherwise. There are also a fairly broad variety of tasks that the computational horsepower inside the box can very effectively do.

Apple doesn't have to target the exact same set of folks the older Mac Pro targets. For one, some of them aren't there anymore (workloads plateaued and they have moved 'down' in the Mac line up). Second, catering to that group wasn't leading to insprising sales ( no way Apple would have let Mac Pro go stale if this was a 'hot' , or even midly hot, market. )

The price is a bit high, but whether value proposition works is far more critically balanced on whether the software shows in next year to unlock more of the potential. It isn't that the hardware is lacking in potential.

We'll put.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
One way to look at any delays beyond next week is that you may have a bit more money saved up to buy some added BTO options. ;)

----------

That still seems a bit low for pricing on the 32GB RAM option, doesn't it? It would make more sense if it was in the $400 range IMHO (although I'd be pleasantly surprised to find out you're right).

I have to agree. The 8 to 16GB upgrade for the MBP is $200, while retail 8GB is about $100. So, 16GB to 32GB at $400 would be consistent. I’d also be curious how the stock 16GB is arranged in the 6-core model. The 2x8 would of course be preferable for upgrades and even BTOs on Apple’s end, but the cost savings for 4x4 might make that configuration worth it. Plus, the 4-core is obviously 3x4, so its just a matter of adding the extra stick for the 6-core. So, if its 4x4GB stock from Apple, I’d bet the higher mark up price for the 4x8GB.

Regardless, its looking like we’ll know for sure by next week . Maybe it will be preorder only, to be delivered by around Jan 1, but we’re definitely getting close. This way Apple sort of hits its Fall target, with pre-orders before the 21st, and gets the first units delivered inside 2013.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I have to agree. The 8 to 16GB upgrade for the MBP is $200, while retail 8GB is about $100. So, 16GB to 32GB at $400 would be consistent. I’d also be curious how the stock 16GB is arranged in the 6-core model. The 2x8 would of course be preferable for upgrades and even BTOs on Apple’s end, but the cost savings for 4x4 might make that configuration worth it. Plus, the 4-core is obviously 3x4, so its just a matter of adding the extra stick for the 6-core. So, if its 4x4GB stock from Apple, I’d bet the higher mark up price for the 4x8GB.

Regardless, its looking like we’ll know for sure by next week . Maybe it will be preorder only, to be delivered by around Jan 1, but we’re definitely getting close. This way Apple sort of hits its Fall target, with pre-orders before the 21st, and gets the first units delivered inside 2013.

According to the Apple specs page, it will be 4x4GB and 4x8GB, not 2x8GB and 2x16GB. Which isn't a terrible thing, since you'll get better performance with fully populated slots (and the smaller DIMMs should be cheaper per GB).

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003

Thoughts on what upgrading from 12GB to 32GB from Apple will cost? $500?

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
I'm curious how much the d500 upgrade is, since the bump to 6 core, double size ssd, d500 and an extra stick of ram is 1000$. It should be less than half that. The 3999$ model might be a better value for money than just upgrading the gpu. Well, time will tell! :)

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I'm curious how much the d500 upgrade is, since the bump to 6 core, double size ssd, d500 and an extra stick of ram is 1000$. It should be less than half that. The 3999$ model might be a better value for money than just upgrading the gpu. Well, time will tell! :)

The jump from 4 core to 6 core with the d500 does not include a larger ssd. It is still the 256 GB.

eladnova

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2012
Call from old mac reseller

I had a missed call on Wed least week from a number I didn't recognise. Looked it up and it was from the Mac reseller that sold me my first G4 power mac around 1999.
I was wondering if it was a sales call about the new MBP but they're no longer a reseller, right? Still, a co incidence.

Last edited:

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
According to the Apple specs page, it will be 4x4GB and 4x8GB, not 2x8GB and 2x16GB. Which isn't a terrible thing, since you'll get better performance with fully populated slots (and the smaller DIMMs should be cheaper per GB).

You wouldn't notice any performance difference between 4x4GB and 2x8GB. What you will notice is the cost of 4x8GB compared to 2x8GB DIMMs if you want to upgrade to 32GB.

omnious

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2013
Oh, please don't give us that whiney tired trollish "overpriced" BS again. A base nMP is only $300 more than a loaded iMac or MBP, and you arguably get a lot more, and a similar PC is at LEAST $$2500, likely edging towards $2800. You are gonna going to save a lot if you build your own.

Yeah, it's a status symbol system.. I wonder why.. perhaps because they are good products?

ROFL, I totally forgot who I'm talking to here. I beg you pardon, kind Sir.

omnious

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2013
--snip---

Everything you said really points to a fact that people's intelligence level has dropped significantly in the last decade or so, and that they are buying something because it's "trendy" and a "life-style" than because it's utilitarian and purposeful.

Apple does not even have to try hard anymore, there are armies of people willing to line up for the latest chic they are being served. Case in point herd's a pretty cool animated video describing exactly what I'm saying: http://vimeo.com/79695097

While on the subject of on-line storage, there's that other aspect of just being plain dumb and letting cloud providers have access to private/personal data which is ripe for harvesting by the corporate world and the governments. I suppose that falls under "We have to give up some of our freedoms to be safe from the _____ (insert the current boogeyman here)"

Please don't get me wrong, people can do whatever they choose to, so to each their own. :)

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

My best guess is that $1000 difference between the base 4-core and the 6-core breaks down as follows... 4GB stick adds $100, 6-Core CPU adds $400, D500s add $500.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Everything you said really points to a fact that people's intelligence level has dropped significantly in the last decade or so, and that they are buying something because it's "trendy" and a "life-style" than because it's utilitarian and purposeful.

It doesn't point to that at all. Workloads plateauing has nothing to do with the user's intelligence. it has to do with tools that are "fast enough". The membership of the targeted markets shifting says diddly squat about user intelligence.

There are no extremely narrow utilitarian aspects to the previous Mac Pro designs. The new one has different utility criteria ( e.g., primarily designed to live on top of a desktop rather than desk-side/under), but that doesn't mean it is lacking in purpose or goals.

Apple does not even have to try hard anymore, there are armies of people willing to line up for the latest chic they are being served.

Armies of folks lining up to by boxes with slots a decade ago didn't make them smarter.

Case in point herd's a pretty cool animated video describing exactly what I'm saying: http://vimeo.com/79695097

About as "long on cute and low on substance" as the iOS devices it is mocking.

While on the subject of on-line storage,

Misdirection . There is nothing in the new Mac Pro design that say anything about WAN based storage. In the case of "on-line" being 'up and available' then perhaps. But the outside of a single box storage business is hardly focused , nor dependedent, on WAN solution connection. The servers they are connect to perhaps but not the raw storage subsystems.

there's that other aspect of just being plain dumb and letting cloud providers have access to private/personal data which is ripe for harvesting by the corporate world and the governments.

Far more evidence that folks are just intelligent now as before. Loop in stuff that has nothing to do with the topic is an old tactic that often does work on those

I suppose that falls under "We have to give up some of our freedoms to be safe from the _____ (insert the current boogeyman here)"

No this falls under the form over function boogeyman argument where somehow folks who have a predisposition to "boxes with slots" are somehow more intelligent than the "function isn't necessarily coupled to a single form factor" folks.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
LOL... yes... "Well put." For some reason, my iPad seems to want to autocorrect Well to We'll. :confused:

same with its/it's and were/we're
a lot of my phone posts show those mistakes.

----------

There are no extremely narrow utilitarian aspects to the previous Mac Pro designs. The new one has different utility criteria ( e.g., primarily designed to live on top of a desktop rather than desk-side/under), but that doesn't mean it is lacking in purpose or goals.

in a somewhat ironic twist of fate, the nmp pro actually allows the desktop computer to be what the original concept/name spawned from.. assuming the first desktops were thought of as 'computers to be placed on desks'- as opposed to mainframe rooms etc. -- to which real life scenarios answered "nah.. they're actually better if placed under the desk"

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Apple does not even have to try hard anymore, there are armies of people willing to line up for the latest chic they are being served. Case in point herd's a pretty cool animated video describing exactly what I'm saying: http://vimeo.com/79695097

if that describes exactly what you're saying then i'm confused on what you're saying.. the video critiques a very real element in modern society and i see the point of it..

but my understanding is that you're using the video as a means to say something about apple specific products and apple specific users..

they could of used androids and myspace instead of iphones and facebook and said the same thing..

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
No this falls under the form over function boogeyman argument where somehow folks who have a predisposition to "boxes with slots" are somehow more intelligent than the "function isn't necessarily coupled to a single form factor" folks.

This does not happen often, but I found myself nodding when I read this bit. Kudos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.