New Mac Pro----blank after apple logo

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bentov, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Bentov macrumors regular

:eek:

I just received my new mac pro today. Hooked it up, happy as a kid in a candy store..... plugged it in, turned it on. I see the apple logo, then the screen goes "dead" and i hear the computer say english. I have tried both of my monitors and two different cables. Monitors are just some viewsonic 20" models(dvi) is it not compatible with my monitors or is the card dead? I don't understand how it can display the apple logo then loose its signal.

Any and all help is appreciated.

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

DVI *can* carry both analog and digital signals. It is possible your monitors are only DVI analog which will not work IIRC.

Check your viewsonic documentation.

3. Bentov thread starter macrumors regular

But if that was the case, would it actually display anything at all? Why display the apple logo and then go blank.

I did just get off of the phone with apple had me do the option+command+r+p, that didn't work, then put the disk in and hold C. That didn't work either. I'll check the monitor specs.

:(

4. Bentov thread starter macrumors regular

Here are the specs, yes I know it's not the best, but it did work with windows...I guess the important parts are in bold below...

LCD

Type 20.1" Wide Color TFT Active Matrix LCD
    Display Area 17.1" horizontal x 10.7" vertical; 20.1" diagonal
    Optimum Resolution 1680x1050
    Contrast Ratio 800:1 (typ)
    Viewing Angles 160° horizontal, 160° vertical @ contrast ratio > 10:1
    Response Time 5ms white-black-white (typ); 8ms gray-to-gray (avg)
    Light Source Long life, 40,000 hrs. (typ)
    Brightness 300 cd/m2 (typ)
    Panel Surface Anti-glare

VIDEO INPUT

Analog/Digital RGB analog (75 ohms, 0.7 Vp-p); DVI-D
    Frequency Fh: 30~82kHz, Fv: 50~85Hz
    Sync H/V separated (TTL), composite, sync-on-green

COMPATIBILITY

PC VGA up to 1680x1050 non-interlaced
    Mac® Power Mac" G3/G4/G5 up to 1680x1050

So.....I guess this means I have to get some new monitors, which I was planning on doing, just not tonight :mad: ....I would have never though that the monitor would not be compatible..I know that most people who get a mac pro don't have a monitor like this, but damn, at least give me a screen to let me know something. What are the odds this is really a hardware issue, the apple girl seemed to think so.

5. Bentov thread starter macrumors regular

It was the monitor, I just went out and bought a dell, and I'm on it now. I was hoping to be able to research it and just use my old monitors...such as life.... Thanks for the suggestion that is was the monitor, you saved me a lot of time. :eek:

6. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

7. MacVidCards Suspended

Sounds alot like it ws outputing to a res your monitor wouldn't support, or the EDID wasn't working or wasn't one known to Mac.

It may work if you use switchresx to add whatever res those monitors want.

Would be interesting to hook up one of them and "see" what the mac thinks it is seeing on that port.

Guess the MDP gets in the way for this.

8. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Actually the specs seem to suggest it was compatible, based on 'DVI-D'.

Anyway, it was time you upgraded anyway, wasn't it? ;)

9. Bentov thread starter macrumors regular

I guess since it said g3,g4,g5 I just took it as that being the reason, 3rd apple person I talked to seem to agree. I did say to him that I couldn't believe that it couldn't use a 20" monitor at 1680x1050, that is a pretty normal resolution I thought, but it did die right when the install hit the place where the resolution would change. I think I will try hooking it up through the mini port to see what happens. So far I'm loving it, just need to get used to the the keyboard and different keystrokes. :D