Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tony3d, Jun 7, 2013.
Just wondering what the new Mac Pro clock speeds would be?
You could have been a little more accurate. Jeez.
Lets just get all the way there: C/d
New Mac Pro speeds
I would venture a guess around 3.45848574 to 3.9878767
If they use the upcoming E5 Xeon 1600 and 2600 then the 1600 models will be similar to these.
So something like
E5 1620 v2 3.7 GHz 4 cores ( up 0.1 GHz from v1 )
E5 1650 v2 3.4 GHz 6 cores ( up 0.2 GHz from v1 )
E5 1660 v2 3.6 GHz 6 cores ( up 0.1 GHz from v1 )
Likewise on the 2600 side. Probably see mostly 0.1 bumps and some 0.2 bumps in clock on a few select much higher priced offerings. However, the focus likely to be on across the board jumps in core count. So instead of what would have been with v1
E5 2620 2.0 GHz 6 cores
E5 2640 2.5 GHz 6 cores
E5 2665 2.4 GHz 8 cores
The v2's will likely look like ( just smallest clock bump. Haven't been many leaks so far here. )
E5 2620 v2 2.1 GHz 8 cores
E5 2640 v2 2.6 GHz 8 cores
E5 2665 v2 2.5 GHz 10 cores
Intel might push the 2620 in the same direction where the 1620 went and hold the core count constant juice the clock speed. So perhaps
E5 2620 v2 2.6 GHz 6 cores
However, given the reports of them pushing to add a 12 core to the 2600 line up I suspect they are still going to push/chase "core count war" with the 2600 offerings. ( AMD server offerings have already been on that focus. If Intel can largely match core count with better cores they will continue to dominate AMD. ) For workload consolidation (whether cluster collapse or multiple OS instances ) that makes sense. The 1600's are for the blocked by single threaded apps workload.
Now if Mac Pro goes the Xeon E3 route then it is different. Those are already out
The E3 v3 line up.
Probably xxx5 variants since they have a iGPU and make rolling out Thunderbolt easier.
E3 1245 v3 3.4 GHz 4 cores
E3 1275 v3 3.5 GHz 4 core
E3 1285 v3 3.6 GHz 4 cores
Starts where iMac tops out on BTO and goes up from there a bit.
Any chance that the MP will allow for the version 2 of the E5-2687W? Sorry if, stupid question :3
We'll I could say that it is unlikely Apple would go back to selling dual CPU systems with really high TDP processors as they stopped doing that back with the 09 models. We've really no clue what size, cooling or components they will use though. If they offer a system using dual E5-2600 V2 Xeons then there should be no reason you couldn't upgrade it yourself.
Hi, you wrote:
"If they offer a system using dual E5-2600 V2 Xeons then there should be no reason you couldn't upgrade it yourself."
Thats a BIG IF... considering Apple's direction is making Macs much harder to expand and that Apple does not want anyone to expand or upgrade, this might be the reality we will be faced with once we see what they bring about on Monday.
If it does come true that the new Mac Pro is to be a hybrid of the mac mini or even iMac, I am out and will just keep what i have because i need multiple drive bays as i have lots of videos i do on a constant basis. Plus, i use my Mac Pro to host my files and printer for all my machines. Hard drive space internally with bays is ESSENTIAL for me and i hope the new machine will offer such expandability, but i fear given their direction for building these new machines with limited to no internal expansion, this may be the case.. In that case.. RIP Mac Pro(2006-2012).
I hope to GOD I am wrong.
Well they aren't going to solder two E5-2600V2s to a board, so they have to be serviceable.
Oh, in that case if Apple decides to keep the processors SOLDERED to the board, there is no way to upgrade them which will force us into buying logic boards with faster processors. I can see this is going to be a hassle. At least on my 6-core if I decided to get the w3690 before September, I can just drop that in.. but with the new Mac Pros or whatever machine its to be in order to go from one processor to another will most likely require a whole new logic board, as Apple soldered the processors on the board - ELIMINATING PROCESSOR UPGRADING fully.
Again, I hope I am wrong.
Again, I'm saying there is no way Apple would do that. It makes no sense from a warranty/servicing perspective. They would have to throw away a CPU and logic board if one broke, or two CPUs if the logic board broke.