New Mac Pro Coming need Tips

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Arborist, May 17, 2008.

1. Arborist macrumors newbie

Hi Folks,
    I'll be getting a new Mac Pro in a couple of days. I forgot the set-up routine for a new Mac; here's what I want to do:
    !. Have a password to log on to before Leopard starts.
    (on my MacBook Pro I have a password but it's just used for installing software, ect.)
    2. Hook up router, I talked to my isp and he said no worries.
    (Do you hook up the internet config before starting the computer for the first time?)
    3. I have an external firewire drive in a ntfs format, can I change the drive to Mac format from disk utilities?
    I know these are pretty lame questions but I want to get the machine up and running properly the first time.
    Thanks for any help.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It doesn't matter if you setup internet before or after turning on the computer. If you have it already connected, OS X will do network config for you when you first turn on the computer. You can easily format your external drive through disc utility.

3. wngraham macrumors regular

1. Go into System Preferences, then Security, then check off "Disable Automatic Login".

2. OSX should detect your network config automatically, router or not.

3. After attaching the external HD just open Disk Utility (it's in Applications>Utilities), choose the drive on the left side, and reformat.