new mac pro costs?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wesk702, Jul 1, 2010.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

You think it will be even more expensive?

wish there was even a tiny price drop. Seems like the pros get more expensive every year.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

A price drop is highly doubtful, IMHO. Gulftown chips aren't cheap. I think we'd be doing good if the prices stayed around the same as what they are now.

3. strausd macrumors 68030

It's hard to tell. There is a possibility of a redesign of the case, which could cause the price to go up a little but probably won't unless it's something crazy.

If they change the base model to have more RAM than it does now, like they did when they updated to the 2009 model, that could cause the price to go up as well. The 2008 8-core model started with 2GB RAM and the 2009 8-core models starts with 6. When they updated, there was a $500 increase. And if you go buy RAM from Apple, which you should never do, they charge $500 for 4GB of RAM. So in that case, the price increase was caused by the RAM.

Many people want the base HDD to be 1TB instead of 640GB. This is a good possibility. However, this could cause the price to go up a little. If you were to build a custom MP, they would charge $100 extra for bumping up the HDD to 1TB.

Many people expect the GPU to change as well. The base being something like an NVIDIA 270, I'm not really sure about NVIDIA so correct me if that's wrong. As for the high end GPU, it is widely expected to be the ATI 5870. Now, with the change of GPUs, this could also change the price of the MP, however I personally do not expect it to.

Now there are a lot of people who think that if there will be a price increase, it will be because of the new CPUs. However, if you look here, you will notice that the estimated price for the CPUs that are currently in the MPs are extremely close to that of the CPUs that will be in the new MP. The price difference between the 5550 and 5650 is only like $38, that's not a big deal at all. And the difference between the 5570 and the 5670 is only $54. Sure, the price of the old CPUs in the MP have gone down, but has the price of the MP gone down? Of course not. Apple is still selling the MP as if the xeon 5570 is still priced at $1386. So Apple could just put in a 5670 for each 5570, a 5650 for each 5550, and so on. If they did this, the price could easily stay the same. If they did go up because of the new CPUs, it would only be like $100.

So the price of the new MP has many variables and many unknowns. However, we do know that the new CPUs shouldn't cause a huge price increase, if any price increase at all. We will just have to wait and see.

4. Cavepainter macrumors regular

Yes.

The Mini is the price-sensitive, entry-level Mac model, and it jumped up a hundred bucks for the new model. Plus, old Mac Pros haven't dropped in price by even a dime, is all we need to know to see where this is all going. Apple seems to believes most Pro users are literally made out of money. How else could they justify the massive price increases on the chip and memory upgrades? Of all the items they sell, I'd venture a guess that this is the last category that Apple probably thinks needs to be more affordable. So, why would they drop the price on a new model?

Having said all that, I certainly wish it would be a bit cheaper.

5. Ravich macrumors 6502a

When has Apple ever dropped prices on an existing model?

6. strausd macrumors 68030

There are many reasons why they could have changed the price.

1. New case design
    2. Faster CPU
    3. Bigger HDD
    4. HDMI support
    5. New GPU

So giving this as a reason for saying the new MP will have a higher price is irrelevant.

+1

7. Cavepainter macrumors regular

Not sure I understand the argument- Changing an item doesn't automatically mean a company HAS to increase the price. Especially if the previous item had a high profit margin.

With that argument, every tech item, whether its computers, TVs, digital cameras, DVD players or anything else that ever gets improved or even changed should always go up in price. No? Other companies manage to improve their specs on products year in and year out, and somehow they still manage to drop prices once in a while. The price of a 1TB hard drive today is actually less than a 500 gig drive was a couple years ago.

8. strausd macrumors 68030

It was only $100. With 5 factors, $100 is not a big deal at all. And did I say that all new technology should go up in price? No. Maybe after Apple put all the new stuff in, they wanted to keep the same profit margin they had with the old mini, and that probably wasn't possible if they were to keep the price at $599. Are you unaware of how greedy Apple is?

9. Cavepainter macrumors regular

I think everyone on this site is painfully aware of Apple's greed- thats why I can't imagine their prices coming down on any new product.

10. Ravich macrumors 6502a

Fact: all of the profit that Apple makes sits in a vault accomplishing nothing.

11. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

At this stage I've used my head more to renovate my house by bashing it against the wall that is no longer there, than the hammer I'd bought to do the job in the first place.

Price wise I'd reckon it will go up but that's assuming there is a significant upgrade in spec. Although after reading the comment given about Steve Jobs on the divice website (I think the link is below)

http://dvice.com/archives/2010/07/first-flash-now.php

Then we could be screwed for anything happening anytime soon. In short Job's states no BluRay anytime soon. I'd have thought Blu-Ray would have had to have been an option for the Mac Pro and this comment has me thinking that there may not be a New Mac Pro any time soon. even if it was only for large file backup you'd think it would have be included. Although and I don't know the exact expression and maybe someone on here will remind me but is it time to simply look into the night sky and say F**k Knows with regard to anything about the New Mac Pro.

Speaking to a couple of film editors they'd be expecting the next generation Mac Pro to to include as standard 7.1 Dolby TrueHD surround sound, 2KHD capability and even 3D screen support. If not then why bother.

At this stage I'd rather put the money into a discounted uber spec current model Octocore and add a couple of swanky screens.

Maybe it's time to put up a thread. "Discounted Octo or New Hexacore"

12. strausd macrumors 68030

Too bad nobody will know til the day of, and who knows when that will happen. Honestly, I just want them to update it, but that is starting to seem like too much to ask for.