Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
I have a 8 Core Mac Pro, I got it around Christmas. It's seemed to be running fast. But then about a month ago it wouldn't start up and it would just sit at the apple logo. So I reinstalled lion and ever since then this computer seems to be running slow. My Macbook Air runs faster then this thing and granted it has a SSD but this thing has it beat in everything else. What should I do? I don't think there is a virus. I have VirusBarrier plus do a sweep every week. What do you think is happening?

Nov 28, 2010
located
VirusBarrier is not needed:
Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
But as long as you don't install software from unknown and untrusted sources, you are safe, as malware needs administrative permissions to run successfully, which means, you need to install the malware yourself, it can't install itself (one of the reasons, why a Mac OS X virus hasn't appeared yet).
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:
Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
The above F.A.Q. includes the following topics:
  • Malware terminology - What is the difference between viruses, worms, and Trojans?
  • Antivirus apps
  • What security steps should I take?
  • What about sending files to Windows users?
  • Why am I being redirected to other sites?
  • Recent threats in the news

Have you looked at Activity Monitor or Console to check for hints?

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
Ok, I disabled VirusBarrier Plus. I see how it goes for the rest of the day and I did have Time Capsule on so, I guess it might work.

ExnomenDei

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
One word: SSD. The bottleneck of almost any computer right now is the HDD. On a Mac Pro, doubly so.

Get an SSD and you'll see this thing shine.

Nov 28, 2010
located
One word: SSD. The bottleneck of almost any computer right now is the HDD. On a Mac Pro, doubly so.

Get an SSD and you'll see this thing shine.

Yep, I use an SSD in my 2007 iMac with a 2 GHz C2D CPU, and while renderings or other CPU intensive calculations take a lot of time, the machine is still fast in reacting, unless it totally hangs itself though.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
No SSD will hold you back, but honestly I'd remove VirusBarrier entirely. Virus protection on any machine is going to slow you down, not speed you up. It helps if you catch a virus, but there aren't any virus pandemics on the Mac right now.

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Agree. Do not diable remove in its entirety. Usually comes with an uninstaller. Run that and do not simply drag to Trash. If coming from the Windows world you are paranoid about viruses, download and use ClamXAv which is freeware and not so much of a resources hog.

LysaM

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
I have a 8 Core Mac Pro, I got it around Christmas. It's seemed to be running fast. But then about a month ago it wouldn't start up and it would just sit at the apple logo. So I reinstalled lion and ever since then this computer seems to be running slow. My Macbook Air runs faster then this thing and granted it has a SSD but this thing has it beat in everything else. What should I do? I don't think there is a virus. I have VirusBarrier plus do a sweep every week. What do you think is happening?

VirusBarrier should not significantly slow down your system. Do you have a version of VirusBarrier which has realtime scanning?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
VirusBarrier should not significantly slow down your system. Do you have a version of VirusBarrier which has realtime scanning?
You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall
  2. Uncheck "Enable Java" in Safari > Preferences > Security.
  3. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General
  4. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.
  5. Never let someone else have physical access to install anything on your Mac.
  6. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any virus, trojan, spyware, keylogger, or other malware. You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac secure.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
VirusBarrier is truly terrible. Bad design, bad support, totally unnecessary. Remove and get your money back. I trust zero Intego. When I had it installed it failed eicar test anyway. Double zip and it let's it through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.