New Mac Pro External SSD problem (won't boot Mavericks)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sand84, Jan 9, 2014.

1. sand84 macrumors newbie

We recently upgraded to the new Mac Pro (late 2013) workstation.
    I have a 480GB SSD preloaded with all of my 3D/design software.
    I want to use this as an external OSX boot drive, not the internal.
    So, I plugged it into my older 2008 Mac Pro (at this point the SSD ran Snow Leopard) and booted with it. I then go to apple.com and get the free update to Mavericks 10.9.1
    I wait... it says success.. I boot the external SSD on the old Mac Pro... Mavericks is working fine on this machine. All good up until now.

I then connect the (supposedly Mavericks ready) SSD to the new Mac Pro via thunderbolt. The Mac boots from the internal and I tell it to restart with the 480 SSD I just updated on the old tower. It restarts and I get the "no symbol/circle dash" at startup. I don't get it. Basically I need to boot from the drive with all my acquired software (the 480GB SSD). I understand if I partition it and install Mavericks on the new machine it will erase everything. Not sure if it's just me or the free install of Mavericks, or a combination of installing on a Snow Leopard machine and transferring it over as an external bootable drive on the new machine, but I'm stumped.
    I may be overlooking an easy fix here, any advice or ideas are appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. msevild macrumors regular

The new Mac Pro probably has a later build of OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 which includes the correct kernel extensions to successfully boot the machine. My only recommendation, if possible would be to clone your current drive to another external source, install the SSD into the new Mac Pro, boot it up to its network recovery partition, and reinstall Mavericks from there so you get the correct build, and then use migration assistant to pull all your data from the external source. Or you will need to wait until 10.9.2 comes out, update to 10.9.2 using one of your two working machines with the SSD drive and then install it in the new Mac Pro.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well Do you have them load in OS X on that external? As in a clone or loaded with 10.9.x?

4. sand84 thread starter macrumors newbie

RESOLVED:

Hold alt on startup --> select Recovery Mode with external plugged in.

Reinstall OSX on the external drive. Works.

(I guess nMP didn't like the 10.9.1 download from the old MP.)