New Mac Pro firewire chipset?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by myca, Mar 18, 2009.

1. myca macrumors 6502

With the report that the new mac pros don't play nicely with Pro Tools and some unsubstantiated claims on a forum or two that Logic Pro doesn't handle as well with the new mac pros in comparison with the 08 models.

Can anyone with a new model answer if the new models use the TI firewire chipset, or the troublesome Agere chipset.

I'd think that a lot of Audio folk would love to know, especially with the recent macbook unibody no firewire, MBP reverting to the Agere chipset hoopla.

2. grue macrumors 65816

I'll have a look, one sec

3. grue macrumors 65816

4. myca thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers for that, there may be a little light at the end of the tunnel for audio users yet :p

I do remember hearing that the Agere chipset was probably used in the notebooks because it was cheaper and smaller, so I'd hoped that the size of the chipsets wouldn't be an issue in the new Mac Pros.

5. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

How do you find out the manufacture of the fire wire chip.
    I have a 08 mac pro. Every time I look under system profiler. I always get a ''Unknown'' for both Manufacturer and Model? Firewire ports are working. Is this a sign of some trouble?

6. grue macrumors 65816

Boot into single user mode, it gives that sort of info during the startup sequence. Verbose mode would do it too, but SU makes it easier to find and read