New Mac Pro for Macbook Pro trade in?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BigTomsBeepers, Feb 15, 2009.

1. BigTomsBeepers macrumors newbie

Will Apple let me trade in a brand new Mac Pro for a Macbook Pro? I won a Mac Pro in a contest, but I already have a Mac Pro. I would rather just trade it in for a Macbook Pro then go through the process of selling it.

Any ideas if Apple will let me do this?

2. yoppie macrumors 6502a

3. BigTomsBeepers thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, all right. I was hoping that since it was unopened and the newer model, they would give me store credit or something. I guess i'll just have to try and see

4. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

For starters , your out of you mind by taking what anyone here says as the final answer.

To answer your question, if the computer is sealed "Factory Sealed" than most Apple stores will take it in. This is a fact in Albany NY at the Crossgates store. I took a MacBook I got in a trade for other stuff, and went down and traded it in for a MBP and paid the difference.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You could try, but unfortunately a few thousand dollars is a very big risk for a retail, so I don't think you could do it—they may think you stole the computer or something unless you can provide a proof of purchase (of course then you definitely couldn't return it). Your best bet is to sell it.

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Your best bet is to try the store first, if it is sealed and go from there. than if you get shot down there, try selling locally on Craigslist or here on the market place, or eBay.

You do NOT know whether the store will take it or NOT until you have tried. It does not hurt to go in and talk to a manager and see what he or she say, if the distance is too long try calling, personally face to face communication is much better, and if you have the item with you and can show them first hand would be better too.

As far as the stolen part, Apple does not track there computers serial number's nor do they on the iPod as far as I know.

With the internet you can find a program to change any internal serial number, just like they do with the refurbished systems.

BOL to you and remember take what you read with a grain of salt, and try what has been suggested, but do NOT base your final decision on what you read and give up.

Later

7. b3owolf macrumors newbie

I would be willing to trade you my MBP for the Mac Pro.