New Mac Pro for video

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BPiaB, May 20, 2011.

  1. BPiaB macrumors newbie

    May 20, 2011

    I've been reading this forum for a while in hopes that someday my IT department would realize that I actually need a Mac Pro. Well, surprise, surprise, they're now ready to pull the trigger. Like really soon.

    So, I'm stuck with picking from what's available now vs. waiting for Sandy Bridge/Thunderbolt potential goodness down the road.

    We'll be getting RAM and HDs from other sources so I'm not worried about that (as many Gb's as I can convince them to buy). What I do want to know from the smart people here is which processor I should lobby for.

    I edit HD video (P2 and 5DMKII footage) in CS5 (soon to be 5.5) and do a bunch of still photography as well (Lightroom/Photoshop). That's going to be the main use for this machine.

    So, should I go for the 12-core? Or will the 8-core hold up for me over the next couple of years?

    They want my spec sheet by the end of the day.

    Thanks in advance.
  2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020


    Jul 21, 2004
    Current systems are a beast. Any current MacPro will rip through HD video. Heck I'm still rockin my 2006 MP 1.1 with ease. Personally though, I'd go for a dual processor system over a single one. Then get either 12 or 24 gigs of RAM in tri-channel mode. Throw in an SSD for boot, maybe one for photoshop scratch, and a couple systems drives and you're good. I use 2 disks in RAID1 Mirror for my files and data. I have external G-Raids for video content and another array for online backup. I archive everything in multiple redundant bare drives.
  3. BPiaB thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 20, 2011
    Thanks for that. Two processors, right. Any feelings about the number of cores?
  4. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020


    Jul 21, 2004
    Hey, my feelings about a machine for editing video, get the biggest baddest thing you can given your budget and availability. That said an 8 or 12 core would be ideal.
  5. BPiaB thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 20, 2011
    Heh. Me too. :)

    Just trying to get an idea of what to push for based on decent anecdotal advice.

    Thanks again!
  6. ndraves macrumors member

    Jan 19, 2011
    Firstly if they have the money to spend now get the Mac Pro now. Don't bother waiting for an update. For the SB you are looking maybe at another 9-12 months. And then there'll be another update around the corner. The current models have a hell of a lot of grunt to last quite a few years.

    If you can persuade your bean counters that the 12 core price is good to pay then push them for every cent they will give you.

    The 12 core will just make your life quicker and more hassle free. A more enjoyable experience.

    If they wont give you the money then I'd go for the 2 processors (8 core) and see if in a bit they'd give you a little more cash to get 2 new hex processors, (tell them its a new computer experience at a fraction of the cost).

    Finally, definitely get at least 1 SSD for OS and apps. I have just put one in my MP and it's a new beast. Would never go back.
  7. BPiaB thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 20, 2011

    Thanks for the advice. Now to make a spec sheet.

Share This Page