New Mac Pro Harpertown User Upgradeable?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by emunity, Mar 4, 2008.

1. emunity macrumors newbie

Is it possible that a user can upgrade the processor himself down the road? I read somewhere that you might have to run a firmware update before you upgrade? I am also unsure if the processor can be removed easily as you can on a PC? Also I read that the processors cannot be identical and must be slightly different to offset themselves? Thats the part that confuses me. Maybe I read that wrong?

Anyhow I am getting the 2.8 GHZ processor but you know Intel will be releasing most like up to 4 or more GHZ this year under the Harpertown class of model processors. I know 3.2 GHZ is available but thats a HOG 150 watts!!!

Does anyone have a link to a service manual for the new mac pro? All I was able to find here on the forum was for a MacBook Pro.

Thanks

2. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Short answer to your question, yes you can upgrade.
    Do a search for all your answers beyond macrumors, try google.

There are several tutorials on the web for dropping in a MP processor.
    As for the service manual, I have one I bought from bn.com (I like hard-copies!) but I bet you can find one on the web, again search beyond macrumors.

3. 330toSRT8 macrumors member

I asked that exact question to an Apple Engineer at my work today and he said no. But maybe that's because they don't officially support it. Where would you get the proper heatsink?

4. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

The tutorial I read (I'm not on the computer that has the link to it or I'd post it) used the original heat sink. Not sure if that would always be feasible though.