New Mac Pro Has Such a Small Footprint! (humor)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by slughead, Jun 15, 2013.

1. slughead, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013

slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

[​IMG]

I love that smaller footprint! Saves a lot of space, don't you think?

*source (nsfw)

edit: Someone pointed out that this situation reminds them of the old Apple ad
    [​IMG]

2. Prince134 macrumors 6502

I know you try to point out how ironic it is.

3. scottsjack macrumors 68000

I knew it. If I sold my MP 5,1 and invested 15 grand I could fill my desk with wires and boxes and power supplies and stuff!

A really great OS X system would be a maxed out iMac 27in sitting on one or two Mercury Rack Pros full of 4TB hard drives. That would take up way less space than the new Mac Pro + all the additional necessary stuff and would be a lot more usable for many people.

4. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

This isn't to bad it will fit into a rack @3U
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpressiii.html

The cylinder thing is a bit of a headache for putting in a rack

----------

Its like the new design was created around thermal efficiency for the computer alone and never mind any other needs. "Place it on your desk so it looks pretty" Baah!

5. Omnius macrumors 6502a

quit joking, people don't use optical drives outside of the legal profession anymore.

6. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

I watched a BluRay the other day with my 5.1 surround sound, then I loaned the movie to a friend.

Years from now we'll have to teach mac/itunes users what these words mean.

7. Omnius macrumors 6502a

I'm not even sure where you would get a bluray.

8. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

It's this tangible media platform with better video quality and sound than the iTunes "HD" movies you download. They're available at these archaic monolithic structures called "retail stores" where there are cashiers manually examining your items and tabulating their costs on receipts which you pay the balance of before you leave with them.

Though slightly less convenient than media stored on a hard drive, this has the advantage of being transferable from person to person and Apple doesn't have the ability to, for no reason or through error, disable the media you paid for. You can also bring your Blu-Ray over to a friend's house and play it on their player or Xbox or Playstation, even if they don't have any Apple devices in their whole house. Pretty fancy, right?

The only thing that doesn't play Blu-Rays these days are Macs :)

----------

I wonder how long it will be until someone installs a USB / FW sound card, USB optical drive, some hard drives, and maybe a TB2 GPU in an "old" mac pro chassis to store their "new" mac pro's peripherals in. I think that'd be hilarious.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

That image is comparing an AiO iMac to a mini-tower PC desktop. The Mac Pro is a workstation class computer and not an AiO iMac or mini-tower PC desktop. Workstation computers ofter use external devices for audio/video and often have some sort of DAS. Given the usage of a workstation computer is different than an AiO iMac or a mini-tower PC desktop trying to compare the new Mac Pro to them does not work.

10. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

11. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

12. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

And you can rent them from the corner store, gas station, supermarket or Walmart for $1.00 - Red Box or Block Buster vending machines.

http://www.redbox.com/

13. Omnius macrumors 6502a

I cant say I know anyone that uses a blu-ray player. Granted, I don't use the itunes store either. I haven't ever owned an xbox or playstation because I'm an adult and don't play console games, with the exception of maybe a casual social event game like wii tennis.

----------

Using old macs as enclosures for new mac stuff isn't so much hilarious as it is tradition. Check out case modders. They've been using old macs for that very purpose for a longgg time.

14. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

... The comparison is that it's annoying to have a lot of cables, and you compare any computer to any other computer, regardless of what the computer is used for (it's a free country--or at least insofar as I'm able to complain about computers). While cabling is to some extent unavoidable, Apple could've reduced a lot of cables by having a form-factor that allowed for a bunch of internal Hard drives, an optical drive, a decent sound card, and of course PCIe. Many would've chosen to add additional external devices, but the fact remains that there are more cables (possibly a LOT more) as a result of Apple's choice to have very little inside the case.

----------

I see, well let's just adjust all products in the world so that they don't provide a feature you won't use.

It would be hilarious in that it would point out the punchline of this thread: That the new Mac Pro doesn't include enough stuff inside the case, and saves absolutely no space on the desk due to the fact you have to have all your accessories on the outside of the case--each with individual cases and power supplies.

15. OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

OS6-OSX

It's probably just as well that the MP 6.1 has a small foot print. If they don't/can't get these things to sell, Apple won't have such a large one to pull out of their mouths!:p

16. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Until Bluray dies and the worlds internet connections can stream full 1080p (and frankly 4K by the time anything like that happens) physical media will still be about for quite some time.

Annoyingly, I have to find myself a 5.25" USB 3 enclosure for my blu-ray drive :rolleyes: