New Mac Pro-HDD snap crackle pop

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scorpio333, Jul 2, 2008.

1. scorpio333 macrumors member

Just out of the box last night. Starts up and the hard drive 500GB is making tons of noise. Sounds like the arm is smacking back and forth, grinding sounds, and electronic like sounds. After twenty minutes or so it died down. I rebooted. The entire time Spotlight was indexing it was loud and noisy. Once completed it was nice and quiet again. I moved some things around and it got noisy, at that point I just went to bed. This afternoon I ran all the updates, it went back to noisy all over again.

In my opinion the HDD is most likely no good, or will be no good sometime soon. I've got an Apple Store about 10 minutes away, is this worth making an appointment or will they just give me 'it boots and runs, what can we do until it dies'?

2. Alican macrumors regular

What make? The Samsung Spinpoints are very quiet

3. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I have an older drive in my G5 (the 160 it came with). Its a cheap loud maxtor. Because of the case design, it doesn't really mute the drive at all. It doesn't mean the drive is bad though. The only way to tell is with TechTool or something of that nature.

4. scorpio333 thread starter macrumors member

It's a Seagate st3500630as p, basically the only upgrade I choose.

I've also got an older Dual 1.25 MDD. A lightning strike wiped out the ethernet port on it about 5 yrs ago. The Seagate drive from that machine is still working even with horrendous noise when it powers off. So they can still go awhile with noise, but when you pay nearly $3000 it's not very pleasant. Off to the store to see what the Genius has to say.