New Mac Pro Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AppStoreGamer, Nov 8, 2008.

1. AppStoreGamer macrumors newbie

Hello. I currently own a 2.4 Ghz MacBook Pro, 4 GB of ram, 256 of V-ram. I have made the decision to upgrade to a mac pro tower for expandability reasons. I do A LOT of work with 3D models in Motion, Maya, Shake, and Cinema 4D. I do a little gaming through Boot Camp and I also use Final Cut Pro most of the time. I was looking for a little faster render times and encoding times. I do realize that this relies heavily on the processor but I noticed that rendering relied heavily on the RAM and Vcard.

I was wondering about the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 (512Mb) because I don't think that the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT (256Mb) is going to cut it. On the Apple website, there is an option to select one, two, three, or four HD 2600's. Would this essentially equal 1GB or Vram (256 x 4)? If so, could I do this with the 8800? (512x4=2GB)

Is this possible to "add" the processing power together (much like SLI) or is adding another graphics card just for adding monitors?

Answers would be much appreciated!

2. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

As far as I'm aware the cards can in no way joined. More cards just gives the ability to drive more screens.

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Currently adding another graphics card just for adding monitors. But will 10.6 change this?

Barefeats:
    "As a 3D accelerated GPU, the GeForce 8800 GT looks like a great addition to the "early 2008" Mac Pro. It's significantly faster than the two Radeon options and at $200 CTO, it's a no-brainer. The advantage should also apply to pro 3D apps that use 3D OpenGL code for animation."

The ATI 2600 is faster for 2D. Also might want to check out the ATI HD 3870.

4. AppStoreGamer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks a lot you guys. And from what I've read, it does seem like 10.6 will change this, based off the fact that Apple is trying to take a lot of the strain off of the CPU and put it on the GPU....its only time before they do this....but do you think that they'll have to incorporate a newer motherboard to achieve this "adding of V-ram" effect or will it simply be a software update that is needed (10.6)?

Also, does boot camp support this "adding of V-ram"? Someone said that this may be supported but only under Vista. Can anyone confirm?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes. Grand Central is poised to take advantage of latent GPU power and utilize it as addition CPU muscle.

6. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Also consider the power supply's maximum power constraint.