New Mac Pro in 5...4...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bhodgson0739, Jan 10, 2008.

1. bhodgson0739 macrumors member

Hey all!

Like many others here, I'm really excited about the new mac pro. I've been waiting for this upgrade, and now I'm going to use my extra financial aid to replace my old G4 imac. I am a film student as well as photography and design, etc. I play only an occasional game.

I'm not completely sure if I could really utilize the nvidia card at this point... for my needs, will the ATI card do fine? I'd love to just get the 512mb to have the better card, but being a student, I can always use any extra money towards something else I need.

So, for video editing, After Effects work, compositing in Photoshop, photography... will the 256mb be ok for now until I decide to upgrade? If the Nvidia will serve me better for the work I will be doing, I don't mind spending the money on it and waiting the 3-5 weeks. If I would be fine with the ATI, I'd obviously rather get the machine and get it in a few days.

Any thoughts?

2. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

If you don't plan on gaming, then pull the trigger. Don't be a fool and configure it with more memory and / or hard drives than the stock configuration, as many on here have already done. BTO options are a rip-off, the equivalent of putting your money in a shredder.

With that said, if you're not planning on gaming (whether in OSX or dual-booting to Windows), then go for it. Later on if you decide you want to game you can always buy the upgrade card and sell the 2600xt on Ebay or something.

Use the extra $200 to buy yourself a pair of 500 gig drives from Newegg or something.

3. qzak macrumors 6502

i'm pretty much in the same situation as the OP. i will be using it for 3d Modeling & animation, video editing, lots of After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, photography work, etc.

i would definitely love to get it asap, but will the 2600xt be sufficient ?

4. timestamp macrumors 6502

For 3D modeling and animation I would go for the 8800GT. It will perform much better in those apps.

5. zdobson macrumors 6502

Look into your heart. The answer is already there.