Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
And it looks like a winner.

Many here will wish they had waited and not gone with the 2019 iMac. I waited, but 6k entry, (the price of a good used car), may be more than I want to spend on a non business computer.

However, value wise this could be the way to go. New cards will be forthcoming, and this machine can grow to fit many uses. It should have a high resale price in the 3-4 years I plan to use it ,and it would be a blast to play with. LOL

What do you guy's think ?

Reactions: rxs0

mcpix

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2005
I don't think most iMac buyers will feel any remorse. I was wondering how they could come out with a new Mac Pro and not kill off some of their iMac and iMac Pro sales. Silly me, I never thought of pricing it over $5k! I get it. It's a powerful computer and those that absolutely need it will be able to justify the price. For the rest of us Pros and Prosumers, I think the iMac is still the answer.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I don't think most iMac buyers will feel any remorse. I was wondering how they could come out with a new Mac Pro and not kill off some of their iMac and iMac Pro sales. Silly me, I never thought of pricing it over $5k! I get it. It's a powerful computer and those that absolutely need it will be able to justify the price. For the rest of us Pros and Prosumers, I think the iMac is still the answer.
Yep, I was waiting until today to place my 2019 iMac order just in case a Mac Pro was announced. Now is the time to order.

Reactions: a2jack

phoenix-mac-user

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
I have to use a KVM with dual monitors for work, so for some of us, the iMac won't work. I guess I could maybe have it hidden behind my 2 27" monitors out of the way....

I recently upgraded my Cheese Grater to a Mac Mini because I just don't edit as much as I once did and can add external Tb3 video cards if I ever decide I need some power again.

But I really like the new Pro. I used to do a lot of editing and I wouldn't even think twice about the price. I dropped 3K on my 8 core 2009 and it ran great for a decade. It still runs great but I decided that I would rather have features like handoff. 10 years later to get the new Pro for double that doesn't seem that bad.

That monitor is ridiculous though. Anyone who spends 6000 for a 32" 6k monitor is nuts. 1000 for the stand! LOL.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Anyone who spends 6000 for a 32" 6k monitor is nuts. 1000 for the stand! LOL.

You'll need a stand. If you have a VESA compatible stand, you can use that, but the required adapter isn't included.

If you buy the monitor, be prepared to spend extra to mount it. The stand will go for $999 and, if you have your own third-party stand, you'll still need to plunk down $199 for the VESA adapter.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/mac-pro-wwdc-specs,39568.html

Looking forward to seeing all those youtubers demonstrating their new $10,000 mac pros!

codernova

macrumors member
May 13, 2019
I absolutely love the new Mac Pro. I'd get that and the 6k display if I could. But it is so far out of my price range (even for the base model+monitor) that it is impossible for me to have even a shred of remorse in my recent 2019 5k iMac purchase. (plus this new iMac is tearing up all the work I'm throwing at it with ease)

Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

kylepro88

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
Nashville
I absolutely love the new Mac Pro. I'd get that and the 6k display if I could. But it is so far out of my price range (even for the base model+monitor) that it is impossible for me to have even a shred of remorse in my recent 2019 5k iMac purchase. (plus this new iMac is tearing up all the work I'm throwing at it with ease)

This is exactly what I said all day today. The space the Mac Pro occupied 10 years ago isn't the space it does now. The iMac and iMac Pro came along and took up that mantle in terms of the sort of work being done on them regularly without substantial issue. It wasn't necessarily because someone decided they should, it's because hardware and software improved, not just CPU/GPU but also HD speeds. What you can do on a "normal" iMac today, a 2017 or 2019 model... is exactly the sort of work I used to do on my 2006 Mac Pro, my 2009 Mac Pro, etc. External HDs, TB3, eGPUs, the market swung towards externalizing and improving more and more the things we used to want the tower config for. Not that internal isn't important anymore, it definitely is, I'm simply saying that for a ton of people who bought and needed a Mac Pro 10+ years ago, they can likely grab a new iMac and be realllllllllly happy. The i7 or i9 performs beautifully, and the extra funds that you'd put into a Mac Pro with tons of overhead you don't need, can go into RAM or more internal SSD storage (or a nice external TB3 solution).

That's not to say the new Mac Pro doesn't have it's place... it does... but people expecting for it to fill the same price/performance gap of years past were kidding themselves.

mikey8811

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2019
Yep, I was waiting until today to place my 2019 iMac order just in case a Mac Pro was announced. Now is the time to order.

They'll probably do an iMac redesign with a similar screen with thinner bezels than the current iMac one, in 27 in, 5k in a couple of months

mikey8811

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2019
I'd imagine that nothing like this will be happening until next year at the earliest, though I'd be very happy to be wrong about that.

Oh no, I didn't mean immediately. Early 2020 at the earliest provided they aren't stuck with inventory of the old screens.

I can't remember how frequently they did refreshes of the iMac's before. Yearly or not.

Reactions: Whackintosh

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...

The iMac has never been the answer... I need two screens on my computer and I need some power and expandability. Once more Apple didn't deliver. This machine is an over designed joke. Yet, I am still not laughing. I was always sticking with the Mac platform, even though they didn't have the right machine for me for years. I wanted to wait for the new Mac Pro though. I did... and got disappointed once again. Hackintosh? Never sounded sexier before...

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
And it looks like a winner.

Many here will wish they had waited and not gone with the 2019 iMac. I waited, but 6k entry, (the price of a good used car), may be more than I want to spend on a non business computer.

However, value wise this could be the way to go. New cards will be forthcoming, and this machine can grow to fit many uses. It should have a high resale price in the 3-4 years I plan to use it ,and it would be a blast to play with. LOL

What do you guy's think ?

It sounds like it would be a financial struggle for you and it's clearly something you don't need. That's what I think.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
A high end 2019 iMac will run with the base 2019 mac pro and probably beat it in a lot of situations... for most casual users, in a similar way that it does for the iMac pro.

580X... vs vega 48 no contest. 8 Core xeon vs i9 will again be similar 256gb vs anything of the far cheaper solution in the iMac. The Mac pro has it but add a 12 core one of the vega II cards and mid tier ram and SSD and you will easily be into it for over 10k... with no display. Vs 3.5k for the iMac so tbh the 2019 is as it has been for a while a bargain for the £ per performance.

This is a new category of mac pro is really pro. Think about the ram options the iMac pro for 256gb is £5000 this can have 1.5TB. That one option could easily be £30,000... on its own.

How much do you think the twin graphics will be per module £3500? two of those could be £7000... How much do you think the accelerator card will be? £4000? Obviously guessing here but it aint for pro-sumers or even your run of the mill pros this is a super niche machine and not the stand alone add your own display machine that replaces the 5,1.

This machine will probably hit 50K and your still not maxing it out.

The base line I think has been set to ensure the iMac pro is still a compelling option. The iMac pro compared to the base will in all honesty out of the box perform better for £1000 less and with a 5k panel.

The Mac pro has the time advantage but really for a machine that is 2 years newer and your paying £1000 more and getting similar if not worse performance overall. A 580X really? A 2 year old card?

Will apple really keep servicing it too? Regular graphics module updates.

To be seen.

The main thing is This is a beast and its nice to see apple pushing the boundaries and having a top tier machine where hopefully this tech will start to filter down to the hardware we all can afford.

I agree with Kylepro88, I was in the same situation used mac pros all my life and now the iMac does that and more at a more competitive price. Plus lets be honest its been the only option.

The main issue I have with them is all my drives but with TB3 I have an OWC Thunderbay 6 and it works a treat, still spending £600 to move my drives over was a sting but it will outlast even the fastest of current SSDs with up to 1500mb/s reads and an NVMe M2 port.

Last edited:
Reactions: ridgero

spintronics

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2018
They'll probably do an iMac redesign with a similar screen with thinner bezels than the current iMac one, in 27 in, 5k in a couple of months
I’m pretty sure they won’t put a display like that in the iMac. They will upgrade for sure, but they can’t use a display that pricey without making the iMacs much more expensive. But now I reread your post and I’m not sure if you meant the new standalone screens or not.

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
Far beyond my needs or my means. Something like a make mini with options for a solid internal gpu would have made me think.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
yeah, people were wondering where the place for the imac pro was after the mac pro came out. Well wonder no more! It is for us mere mortals, otherwise know as prosumers or enthusiasts. There simply is no complete setup with a price point remotely comparable to an 8 or 10 core imac pro.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
If you go to Boxx.com and configure one of their Workstations with a similar base configuration to the new Mac Pro. the price is $6000 so its competitive with Name brand, High end workstations.

For really high end commercial work. the price is not an issue. its intended for "Real" pros and not just "Home" Pros

Reactions: a2jack

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Far to expensive for home use. 6K basic config with no screen
That be 11k with the new screen
Which is fine because it's clearly not targeting enthusiasts, or even moderate level developers - this is for really heavy lifting; 8K video editing; 3D animation; huge CAD projects - even more than the iMac Pro this is an enterprise machine through and through...

Reactions: xgman

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
It sounds like it would be a financial struggle for you and it's clearly something you don't need. That's what I think.

Nah, funds earmarked long ago.

Being able to utilize this fine machine at my skill level would be like receiving a Spitfire and having to fly it home. LOL a2

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Many here will wish they had waited and not gone with the 2019 iMac
If you think the 2019 iMac is an option, it still is.

Silly me, I never thought of pricing it over $5k!
If you really need the new Mac Pro, then you already know that its competition is a group of Win10 machines used by the film/animation industry that cost between $8k (8 core, 32G, 1TB) to $150k (56 core, 1TB RAM, 8TB SSD Vega I).

The TechCrunch article told us who the customer is. That the base model is priced so low is the only surprise.
1.5 TB of RAM? Is that soldered in, or is it user upgradable?
User replaceable. Watch the Keynote. 8 DIMM slots.
[doublepost=1559677937][/doublepost]
The iMac has never been the answer... I need two screens on my computer and I need some power and expandability.
I don't know about that. I could have added a pair of 5K monitors to my iMac Pro but decided that 4Ks were fine—and $2,000 less expensive. Since I need 3 screens, I'm good.

For what I do and what I expect to need over the next few years, the iMP is going to be fine. Since all of the Mac Pro upgrades that I would need can be priced now—RAM, SSDs are same type as Mini/iMP; the CPUs are on the market from Intel. That leaves some high end graphics engines that I have no need for—and if I do, I expect the project to pay more than enough to pay for a Mac Pro.

Not regretting the decision for a second.
[doublepost=1559678144][/doublepost]BTW, who says you need to have the new monitor if you aren't a working pro in the high end film/graphics industry?

I mean. it will be good for gaming, sure, but do you need one?

Nothing I read says you can't use a lesser monitor with these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.