new Mac Pro kernal panics

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by WSU-Architect, Jul 14, 2008.

1. WSU-Architect macrumors member

I just purchased a new Mac Pro, and for the most part I love it. It came with dual 2.8Ghz Xeon's, 2gigs memory, and the 8800 GT option. I have 8 gigs more memory on order from OWC. I know the 2.8's are the slowest option, but I am a poor architecture student, and the vast majority of programs I use are already optimized for multi-core architecture so the speed was not too much of an issue. I have the newest Leopard and Vista 64-bit set up with boot camp. For the most part, I love it. But unfortunately I have been the victim of near constant kernel panics. Anytime I am using the internet, or using iTunes and it connects to the internet, a kp will usually occur. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes, other times a few hours, but it happens every time. The computer is connected wirelessly through a Hawking USB wireless stick because I am retarded and only realized after I received it that my room did not have an Ethernet plug. The only programs I have installed on the OSX HD are Adobe CS3 Master Collection, Firefox 3.0, and the drivers for the Hawking USB stick. I have called Apple Care and per their advice I completely wiped and re-installed Mac OSX, which fixed the problem for about a week, then the kp's started happening again. I have ran the diagnostic tool thingy you can download from Apple if you purchase Apple Care and everything passes fine. Vista is installed on its own HD so I do not believe it is causing any issues either. After researching the kp (it's the "mbuf free..." one) I believe it may be caused by the Hawking stick, as the only source I could find for it was Apple's own airport drivers, another wireless utility. Does anyone here have any advice on helping me find a solution to this problem. This is my first Mac and honestly it's pretty depressing that after spending 4 grand (had to get a 30" cinema display...it matches:D) I cant trust my Mac to do anything internet related without getting a kp. So far the only thing that's worked flawlessly is Vista...that cant be a good thing. I appreciate anyone's help! Thanks in advance!

2. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

You might want to check your memory, and make sure they're seated correctly in each slot. Hell, even check each stick by just testing each stick separately, so if you have a kernel panic with one of the sticks, then it might be the culprit in your panics.

If there are still kernel panics with each stick, then it might be your wireless card...You might want to go ahead and purchase an actual Airport card for your Mac Pro and see if that helps any.

Good luck!

3. matt321 macrumors member

Well... If you spent 4k on a Mac Pro setup, why not buy an Airport Express card? It does sound like that Hawking Stick is the problem. Or you could RMA the Hawking Stick to see if you just have a bad one...

4. WSU-Architect thread starter macrumors member

Well for one, I'm basically broke now. Two, I would have to go to Apple store, since the Airport Express card they sell online does not fit into Mac Pros according to all the reviews on Apple's site, and there is no Apple Store within 300 miles sadly. And excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by RMA? Thanks!

5. matt321 macrumors member

I understand being broke! These things will do it to you.

RMA is just returning the item to the manufacturer for a replacement (Return Merchandise Authorization) Call them up if it's under warranty or return the item to where you bought it (if you're within the 30 day time period.)

Just for kicks, does it happen with Safari and Firefox? Also, have you gone to Hawkings website to see if there is an updated driver or firmware fix?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

So spend thousands on a Mac Pro, and forget to order the $49 wireless card ...

"Apple Airport Wireless Card For 2008 Mac Pro"

Complain you are broke. Sounds like mail ordering the card will cost the same as a tank of gas anyhow.

Anyhow http://www.hawkingtech.com/newdrivers.php shows leopard links.

7. WSU-Architect thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate your unnecessary attitude towards an honest mistake I admitted I made. Tact is obviously one of your strong points.

to Matt; yes it happens with both Safari and Firefox. And yes I have also upgraded the drivers to the most current per Hawkings website. I wish I could give more specifics about the kp as it says in the error report, but I am at work and on a different computer at the moment. I appreciate yours and everyone else's help!

8. matt321 macrumors member

Definately need to open a ticket with Hawking and see if they can pinpoint the problem. What version of OS X 10.5.x are you using? I know that apple has been attempting to fix airport issues with .4... maybe it caused the hawking to mess up.

Also, what model of Hawking are you using? I see there are a few different versions on their website.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The "Apple Airport Wireless Card For 2008 Mac Pro" which does fit in the 2008 Mac Pro.

And is sold online for $49, mail order the card or spend the same in gas going to the Apple store to get it.

Don't see why you have a problem. You spent thousands already.

---

Could always cut the 8GB memory order to 2GB and add the wireless card.

10. jons macrumors 6502

It is definitely the Hawking USB stick. I had one a while back on my '08 MP and had constant kernal panics. I was unable to make it work, so I returned it.

- Jon

11. WSU-Architect thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I am glad to have my suspicions concerned. I'm kicking myself for being retarded and not getting the airport express card built it. Guess next time I make it Seattle I'll take my computer along and have one installed. I don't want to order it online and do it myself because it is not designed as a user-installable upgrade on the 08 Mac Pro's, and though it's possible, I don't necessarily trust myself to do it.