new Mac Pro - Mavericks as a VM in Parallels?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by michael_aos, Jan 15, 2014.

1. michael_aos macrumors 6502

Has anyone been able to run Mavericks in a VM via Parallels Desktop on the new Mac Pro?

My Mavericks VM created on the Mini won't boot in Parallels on the new Mac Pro.

I've tried a few methods to boot / install Mavericks in a VM in Parallels on the new Mac Pro but haven't had any luck at all.

I've tried the "new VM from Recovery partition" -- this never worked on the Mini, and continues to not work on the new Mac Pro.

Created bootable USB, bootable disk images, bootable Recovery CD, (all with a version of Mavericks that IS bootable on the new Mac Pro, and bootable on the Mini) -- Parallels just won't boot them.
    --

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Just a thought but make sure you're using the most current version of Parallels. There were updates required for Mavericks.

3. GoEagles997 macrumors newbie

You need Parallels 9 to run Maverick in a VM, but you can Parallels 8 as host OS.

4. michael_aos thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, running latest update of Parallels 9 from day-1.

My impression is that running Mavericks in a VM isn't compatible with the new Mac PRo.
    --

5. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Just for kicks, how about trying to import or install into a VMFusion Ware VM. I like Parallells but always end up back on Fusion. It's just less quirky for me. Fusion has it's little nigglets too, but generally I can always work around them.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Most likely you'd need to use the build of Mavericks that comes with the Mac Pro, or wait until 10.9.2 ships.

7. michael_aos thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, as I stated in my post - tried that.

----------

I'd be willing to jump ship and abandon Parallels if someone can confirm that VMWare works in this case.

8. analog guy macrumors 6502

you can run fusion for 30 days for free as a trial.

9. Flint2525 macrumors newbie

10.9 on VM

@michael_aos

Im using Professional Version 6.0.3 (1747349) VMware Fusion