New Mac Pro. Memory and External Hard Drive Upgrades

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by parislv, Mar 4, 2008.

1. parislv macrumors newbie

Hi -- first post ever here -- at any rate, Saturday I bought a new Mac Pro (Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 8 core). I basically bought this because my old G4 finally kicked the bucket Friday (and I had been wanting to upgrade for a while too) and I needed to be back up and working in some capacity by Monday and this was what the apple store had in stock.

At any rate... I was looking for suggestions as to what I should upgrade the memory to. I didn't buy any from apple as I know I can get it cheaper elsewhere -- probably will order from OWC - just don't know what I should buy. Right now, I just have what it came with.

I do graphic design (with a little bit of packaging design and a minimal amount of web). The main programs I use are InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Bridge... (I am upgrading to CS3 as I type this -- should be in the mail).

Also, I am starting to run out of space on my old external hard drive. Thinking of buying a Western Digital 750 GB -- does anyone know what the difference between their Home, Premium, and Studio lines are? Can't seem to find anything...

Suggestions for either?

Thanks in advance!

2. emunity macrumors newbie

Stay away from WD go with Seagates. WD is second to Seagate.

Ram there is a Great deal on them here:

http://macramdirect.com/macpro.html

He is also on ebay . 8 gigs for $399 and $499 for original Factory.

I called them and they told me the specs on the $399 one is exaclty spec'd out as there samsung factory spec one?