Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

momille

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
i really wonder, i saw always the mac pro on a metal stand on all apple presentations and nobody asks for it.
it looks much sleeker elegant to my eye.
any idea where to get it?
sg_macpro2013_hands_01-580x332.jpg

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
i really wonder, i saw always the mac pro on a metal stand on all apple presentations and nobody asks for it.

Apple had them made specifically for the event

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Maybe you can look for some similarly designed cake stands. I suggest Sur La Table, Williams-Sonoma or, of course, Amazon.com for starters. Just search for "metal cake stand."

Bon appetit!

:D

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
To each his own, but I think it looks a bit absurd. I certainly wouldn't want that on my desk.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

So where do you put the cables? The stands look sharp but after adding cables it seems it kills the look.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
So where do you put the cables? The stands look sharp but after adding cables it seems it kills the look.

these stands look like there isn't a top platter and that the stem is connected to the thermal core. (as in- i doubt those computers are just sitting/balancing up there)

so you have to imagine if you have one fabricated, there will also be more showing (a top plate).. i assume you'd want that plate to be a bit bigger than the circumference of the mac pro which to me, makes it look even worse.. and would probably require a larger bottom plate for stability in case you don't have the mp dead center up top.. (unless you want to use a noprofile plate which bolts to the base of the computer)

and your (phrehdd) mention of the cables also brings up a good point about aesthetics as they'll be dangling down (gonna look like a long haired mannequin head)..

anyway- if you want to spend money on a custom fab job like this, don't copy this design.. this design is for non-operational models inside a glass case and it serves a purpose (for instance, the 2nd from left version couldn't just sit on the table).. so customize it for the location it will be used in-- a working computer on a desk (or where_ever)

point being- i think you could come up with something a lot better than these if you want a mac pro stand for real world use.

[edit] hmm.. i'm sure a few people shot some photos at the event which inadvertently show the connection point via the reflection in the bottom plate.. i'm not going to start searching for the pic though :)

Last edited:

NeonHeatDisease

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2014
This is such a good thread. Im currently investigating my mac pro stand options in leu of refreshing my order status page for the trillionth time. Surely some companies will make some solutions - maybe that one that does the M-srand. Rain? (Outside of that one company doing the horrible grey egg shaped abomination ive seen linked on here)

Its looking like much to my enjoyment Ill have to fabricate my own solution. Im thinking along the lines of this (with a full grate, not a half as shown) -

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 160

hassiman

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
San Diego
Nu MacPro swivel stand

I too would like a low profile stand that will allow the nMP to be swiveled around to access the ports.:D

I am sure they will appear eventually but on such a low volume item it may be awhile. :mad:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011

Looks like something Apple could knock up in their headquarters lab in an afternoon.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Too risky in my opinion

I fear for that thing with the higher center of gravity. Should you knock it or the desk a little...

The day my nMP will arrive (supposing I live long enough!) I will certainly not put in on top of a thin pole and risk it to fall due to any unwilling movement of myself or someone else...
Life is dangerous enough to add a further danger...
A damaged nMP because knocking it down will certainly not be covered by Apple and repaired free of charge not to speak of the pain of seeing the nice shiny case with dings and scratches...
:mad:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks too top heavy for me. I'd be worried that it get knocked over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.