New Mac Pro Mini Version 2

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 4dtough, Jul 11, 2014.

  1. 4dtough macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    #1
    Just a question do we know when the new Mac Pro Version 2 may be out.
    I decided to wait till second revision of it and just wondering when that may happen.
    Hoping for two solid state slots and cheaper price :) that usually happens with revision.
    THX
     
  2. EvilMonk macrumors regular

    EvilMonk

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2006
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #2
    You might wait for long... You never know with Apple and nobody here will know before it is announced to the public...
     
  3. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #3
    It won't happen until Yosemite is out. I think a new Mac Pro around the time of Yosemite's release is about a 50/50 chance.
     
  4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #4
    What would the point be? No new processors until at late 2014. Well after the octobetish release of Yosemite.
     
  5. AidenShaw macrumors P6

    AidenShaw

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2003
    Location:
    The Peninsula
    #5
    Actually, my account managers at Dell and HP are still saying "octobetish" for the E5-x6xx v3 systems....
     
  6. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #6
    Yep. Late 2014 actually lines up perfectly with the Yosemite release. With Broadwell delayed Apple may not have much to ship around Yosemite as they always do with new OS releases. As the saying goes, where there is smoke...
     
  7. AidenShaw macrumors P6

    AidenShaw

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2003
    Location:
    The Peninsula
    #7
    v3 v4 confusion

    Broadwell-EP is E5-x6xx v4. Haswell-EP is E5-x6xx v3.

    The current MP6,1 systems use Ivy Bridge-EP E5-x6xx v2.

    Any Broadwell delays have nothing to do with what I'm hearing is an early CYQ4 release of Haswell-EP E5-x6xx v3 systems. In CYQ3 I'm mostly buying storage and networking gear - and only the servers and workstations that are urgent. In CYQ4 I'll have the storage and networking gear, and I'll be ordering Haswell-EP servers and workstations.

    By the holiday season E5-v3 systems will be out from most of the vendors. No one can predict if Apple will be one of those vendors with an update to the MP6,1.

    But if Apple doesn't update....
     
  8. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #8
    I know, that's my point.

    Normally Apple rolls a hardware update with an OS update. But they won't have Broadwell ready for a new Macbook Pro or iMac, which narrows the options of the hardware they could possibly rev to the Mac Pro for publicity.

    They could do another Haswell rev of the Macbook Pro, that is certainly an option as well. But by taking other high profile revisions they could possibly do out of the running, it could possibly add pressure to do a Mac Pro rev around the time of Yosemite's release so they have a significant hardware rev to show.
     
  9. MMcCraryNJ macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2012
    #9
    I was thinking the same. Due to Broadwell being pushed further back, Apple might take the position of pushing an update to the nMP instead when Yosemite ships.
     
  10. SuperMatt macrumors 6502

    SuperMatt

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2002
    #10
    The nMP isn't even a year old yet. Don't bank on an update for a while, IMHO.
     
  11. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #11
    Ehhh. Technically it has now been over a year since it was announced.

    Time flies!
     
  12. pprior macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2007
    #12
    I would be shocked at a major change like another slot within a year of release.
     
  13. AidenShaw macrumors P6

    AidenShaw

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2003
    Location:
    The Peninsula
    #13
    Why even mention Broadwell?

    Check the forum title - Mac Pro. Why talk about Imac and MBP updates?

    Broadwell-EP has never been on track for the MP6,1 in the near term, but Haswell-EP is just weeks away.


    see above - Haswell-EP is the next processor for the MP6,1.


    Others might be shocked if Apple failed to update the flagship system with newly released compatible parts.
     
  14. MMcCraryNJ macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2012
    #14
    I understand that very well. My apologies if I wasn't all that clear. Since Broadwell for the consumer Mac line is delayed, that leaves a gap in what particular machines Apple could refresh and re-market alongside the Yosemite release in the Fall. Since the nMP would be the only one able to receive a substantial refresh with new CPU architecture, perhaps Apple will decide to announce and release Haswell-EP in an updated nMP around that time. Make a bigger deal out of it since the other machines won't.
     
  15. pprior macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2007
    #15

    LOL, you must be new to the mac pro.... :rolleyes:
     
  16. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    #16
    Far more so, a year since the announcement that the old Mac Pro form factor was cancelled than a real announcement of the new Mac Pro. The "Sneak Peak" was woefully incomplete on details (only mac configuration) or even a date when they would announce (i.e., stop selling old version).

    When Apple is still selling the old version, the new one hasn't been technically announced yet.

    I going to tap dance about Apple discussing that they were going to do something in 2013 then it has been two years (with the commentary about doing something in the 2013 time frame).

    ----------

    Mac Pro isn't the flagship product for Apple. Shocked isn't so much of a problem as being disconnected from reality.
     
  17. AidenShaw macrumors P6

    AidenShaw

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2003
    Location:
    The Peninsula
    #17
    "Announced" and "released" are different things, and in the case of the MP6,1 about six months apart.


    It is the flagship system, however.

    If Apple wants to signal to the MP6,1's target market that Apple is serious about high end video systems, they should upgrade as soon as possible. If Apple wants to worry the market, they'll do nothing while Dell and HP are shipping 36-core workstations.
     
  18. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    #18
    Highly doubtful this reworded seed to this notion posted about a month ago:


    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1742828


    is going to reveal anything remotely new.


    Given the SSD is hooked to the PCH/IOhub chispet and this new 610 chipset on is also limited to x8 PCIe v2 lanes ( http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...icroprocessors_for_Launch_in_2015_Report.html ) that move is not enabled by the new updates to the core infrastructure. Don't hold your breath waiting on that to happen. Until the chipset and SSDs move to PCIe v3 the Mac Pro core infrastructure is oversubscribed for dual SSDs.

    Usually happens with Apple Mac products? Have any quantitative data to back that up? Typically Apple picks a price and they stick to it.

    Apple has moved prices back when demand wasn't as high as they would like but the Mac Pro so far hasn't had that problem in the slightest.

    Typically Apple puts more technology value in to maintain the same price point. So things like transitioning newer GPUs, DDR4 RAM , higher capacity SSDs , etc is typically used to offset any price drop.
     
  19. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    #19
    Broadwell, delayed or not, isn't a major lynchpin to Yosemite release. One of the major features of Yosemite is the handoff features. iOS 8 is most definitely going to ship with new hardware in its space. So Yosemite is going out the door to synch up with that. If Intel has nothing for the Mac line up that is basically a non issue. (they do so it is even less of a non issue.)

    From the Mac Pro perspective it makes little sense to launch with a x.x.0 OS X release. It isn't going to be until at least 10.10.2 and more likely 10.10.3 until the OS is production stable over a very broad base.

    ----------

    It isn't the flagship anything. Tap dance all you want to flagship purely reduced down to a euphemism of "most expensive" is about as silly a use of the term as the use of "enterprise" in the same fashion. Expensive is simply just expensive or high cost.

    As soon as possible doesn't necessary have to be concurrently with everyone else. Apple has different constraints than other folks and frankly different set of problems. What is missing from Apple is regular behavior having gone off into the weeds for a couple of years. More regular roughly 12 month very solid updates is far more what they need than some glitched product that is first to market in some drag race release process.
     
  20. 4dtough thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    #20
    I can see early release of of New MacPro mini would piss off some early adopters of 6.1 pros
    Based on new technology coming out I can see 6.2 to be announced this year and being shipped first quarter of 2015.
    for the price
    5.2 was cheaper than 5.1 so 6.2 may not be that much cheaper as it will have so much newer technology.
    2 drive slots/ports and maybe multiprocessor option to achieve faster processor speed and multicore :)
    Time will tell
    my dream system will be dual 6 core, 8 memory slots and 2 drive slots.
    That will keep me smiling
     
  21. Ph.D. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2014
    #21
    Those of you wishing that the next version may have two SSD slots, please be aware that the current nMP already uses every last PCI lane.

    There's simply no more room for more independent PCI access. Of course, a future CPU architecture may allow for more/faster lanes, or a different allocation of the existing lanes may be made, etc.

    I for one will not be holding my breath for a second SSD slot any time soon. A move towards higher-capacity SSD cards, e.g. via vertical flash memory integration, is much more likely.

    I'm also concerned about the thermal capacity of the design limiting enhancements to the graphics cards. More than marginal improvements at the high-end may be a long time coming. The low-end (e.g., D300) has room to grow, though.
     
  22. Larry-K macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2011
    #22
    Yes, but it was a premature announcement, to say the least.

    ----------

    Well then, What is?
     
  23. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2014
    #23
    Aye, but they've got the design space for it, so if the PCI bandwidth exists in the future it wouldn't require a dramatic reconfiguration of the machine.

    But yeah, there are obviously other reasons why they didn't put one in :p
     
  24. handsome pete macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2008
    #24
    Fixed that for you. :D
     
  25. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #25
    I think there is confusion as to why Broadwell is being talked about in this thread.

    Apple holds new hardware upgrades until their next OS X release is done usually, after announcement. So I wouldn't expect any hardware upgrades until Yosemite ships.

    When a new OS X version launches, frequently Apple does a few high profile hardware launches to draw publicity. Broadwell had meant they would have had a MBP and iMac to launch for Yosemite. The timing lines up well with the new Mac Pro processors, but there could have been an argument that instead of rev'ing the Mac Pro, maybe Apple would use the iMac and Macbook Pro as their launchpads for Yosemite. No Broadwell means they don't have this. If they want a high profile launch, they have to either fallback on warmed up Haswell based hardware, or go with a Haswell-EP Mac Pro.

    The iMac/MBP/Broadwell are related because if Apple wants a high profile launch, the Mac Pro is now all they have left for a refresh of existing hardware around Yosemite's launch.

    This.

    Sure, and there is no reason they couldn't announce in October and ship in November or December. This thread is talking about announcing, not releasing. It's been a year since the Mac Pro was announced. We're due for an announcement of a new one. It may ship in December, a year after the last one shipped. But we're past a year for announcement.

    Personally, I feel like a November ship time would be more accurate, with some ship times into January or February depending on volume, much like the last Mac Pro. But it makes a nice press piece for Apple to return to the Mac Pro when they announce Yosemite (talking about how it's been a success, new amazing design, now new config with Yosemite, blah blah blah.) And all the parts will be ready.

    But that doesn't make October an unreasonable timeframe for the announcement of the next one. IIRC, the actual announcement with configs occurred about that time last year.
     

Share This Page