New Mac Pro not wanting to boot from Optical Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JGruber, Jul 27, 2009.

1. JGruber macrumors 6502

Ok, so I unboxed our new Mac Pro today, begin to set it up with 10.5 Server. I popped the DVD in, restarted and held down the "C" key upon rebooting. I can hear the Optical Drive spin up, and it sounded like it was going to boot to the DVD. However after about 1-2 minutes, it would spin the DVD down. It will also seem like it 'Froze' the Mac Pro. By that I mean it turned the Mighty Mouse off, wouldnt respond to any keyboard commands.

I also tried booting to the DVD by holding down the "Option" key. It did show the Main HDD and the DVD. I click on the DVD drive, and it would seem like it started to boot, but then 'Froze' again.

I've tried 2 different Server Media's, all the same results.

I haven't called up Apple Care yet, I do plan to do it tomorrow when I get back to the office

2. hehejames macrumors member

What 2 different server media are you talking about? Your MP will boot fine if you are loading the OSX DVD that came with the machine.

If you are loading another media belonging to an Xserve or something (you said 10.5 Server)... It will not boot/freeze. You'll need the retail DVD.

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Kinda sounds like a bad optical drive. Odd thing to have DOA but I suppose it is possible.

When you boot into OS X does the DVD show up in Finder? You could try ripping a CD or some such thing just to see if the optical bay is working properly.

It will boot from a retail disk. You just have to format the HDD before you can install OS X 10.5 Server.

4. hehejames macrumors member

His drives are most likely working fine.

The retail disk will definitely boot, but JGruber is most likely popping in (10.5 Server) that came with an Xserve and it will not boot.

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I agree it seemed an odd thing to have fail.

Good point.

6. JGruber thread starter macrumors 6502

I can put the DVD in just fine, and it show up in Finder. I even did a 'upgrade to 10.5 server' within Leopard, but I want to do a fresh clean install, and not a 'Upgrade'

The DVD is a retail 10.5.4 Box Set. Bought for the purpose of installing it on the Mac Pro. It's not a Xserve media set.

The DVD drive shows up in System Profiler as well.

7. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Mine oddly enough is doing the same thing. But its a kernel panic. I have installed an aftermarket superdrive and it does it with that also.

8. JGruber thread starter macrumors 6502

That sucks.

Luckily I have another NIB Mac Pro waiting to be put into the workforce, so I'll have to fire that one up tomorrow and see if I get the same problems.

Kinda disappointing that my $5K+ machine is acting this way.

9. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

you have Xserve 10.5.4

you have 09 mac

so the graphic card drivers does not exist on your Xserve dvd ( I am assuming 10.5.4 is old version for xserve)

I had same problem when trying to boot from my retail Leopard dvd. My leopard dvd was bought 2007 and my 8800GT was bought 2008.

10. JGruber thread starter macrumors 6502

10.5.4 is the absoulte latest and greatest Mac OS X Server you can buy from Apple. It's not a Xserve version at all. It's a retail box.

11. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

You have a retail OS X Server 10.5.4 disk, this does not contain the graphics drivers required for the 09 Mac to work. :(

12. JGruber thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that seems to be the case. Sucks though! I had to do install Server over the top of Leopard, which doesn't bother me, but I would have preferred a clean install.