new mac pro, nvidia 8800 - 2 displays, problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jelloshotsrule, Apr 16, 2008.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hi all- so i recently got a new mac pro with the upgraded nvidia 8800... i have a new style apple cinema display (with dvi) and an old style apple display with the adc connector... so i bought one of those hefty dvi-adc adapters.... and i go to connect them, and basically, the dvi spots on the graphics card are *too close together* to fit the two dvi connectors in at the same time! wow...

has anyone else encountered this? the only thing i can think of doing is getting a dvi extension cable of some sort in the hopes that the end of the extender is smaller somehow than the one from the dvi-adc converter.

any thoughts?? thanks

2. shokunin macrumors regular

Did you get the Nvidia upgrade kit? I think mine came with 2 4-5" DVI to DVI extension adapters to assist with your situation. Probably one of these would help you out.

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hmm. what all is included in the upgrade kit? i got the upgrade with the CTO machine, so it was already installed... i haven't really looked for any extra cables that came with the comp, but i wouldn't be surprised if i have one in there that i didn't see.... i'll check it out. thanks for the tip

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

A small adapter comes with the Mac Pro to solve just this problem. It is a DVI to DVI cable about 3 inches long. That's why they bundle it, this has been discussed before.

5. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

many apologies for not having seen it, and many thanks for pointing out the solution.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

No problem. I assume it fixed the issue?

7. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

haven't gotten home yet from work, sadly, to try it. will update though!

8. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

sure enough, connected the included dvi-dvi adapter from the mac pro setup and they both fit now! thanks! :)