New Mac Pro on July 20

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Murray M, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Murray M macrumors regular

Murray M

Here's why:

1) The new chips won't be available in bulk for at least 2 weeks and they need at least a week or two to install em. Or so.

2) All the people they took off the MP project to help launch the iPhone are now back and it's gonna take them a few weeks to get organized. The upshot is the new MP will be much smaller and unibody (think new Mini).

3) And the new case design has this one thingy that is sorta off that they're having to correct because Steve says so. It's not like anybody would notice it, but Steve is the man and it's a bad career move to tell him off. I was like, "Hey Steve man, don't worry about that thingy," and he was like, "I pay you to worry about the thingy. What we do is worry about thingies." I'm paraphrasing.

4) Because we need hope, damn it, and nothing gives hope like putting down a date.

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

Well, there's been a lot of hope put down all over this subforum with lots of people putting down dates.

*turns off his thread-police siren*

3. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I don't see the new Mac pro (if there is one) being any smaller than the existing one.... I, for one, would not be happy at a smaller MP as it would most likely mean less options......!!!!!!!

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Not sure how that is an upshot. It's already limited in space for storage, memory and expansion slots.

5. Vylen macrumors 65816

Exactly.

What conceivable gain is there to make the Mac Pro smaller? Rather counter-intuitive for a professional/prosumer product where the scene doesn't require small-form machines that look "cute" or whatever.

Bigger is better in the Mac Pro world! :p

6. psychometry macrumors regular

7. PaulD-UK macrumors member

Hi
    Guess:
    Put the hard drive bank (except for SSD boot drive(s)) and all PCI-e but one graphics-card slot outboard, with Light Peak connectivity.
    Put the CPUs and the RAM back on a flat mobo with proper triple/quad channel configuration.
    Sorted - in 2011 :)
    ?

8. telequest macrumors regular

:D

Heh. Maybe a tipoff that nothing in this post is intended to be taken seriously?

Just another thread where we can keep gnashing our teeth until another few Tuesdays come and go. And then time for a new one.

But that thing about "thingies" was pretty funny. A few grins while we wait won't hurt.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I won't be on vacation that week, so it won't happen.

D

10. strausd macrumors 68030

People like Apple have contracts with Intel. The whole "new chips are finally available now" is irrelevant. The chips would now be available to distributors without contracts. Apple has a contract with them so they get the chips earlier than those without contracts. Apple has had the CPUs available, thats not why it's taking this long.

As for it coming out on July 20, thats just a blind guess. You don't really have any proof or anything that could really lead anyone to believe that it will come out on July 20. I'm not saying it won't come out then, cause nobody knows. But here are some actual facts:

New MacBook Pro - mid April
    New MacBook - mid May
    New Mac Mini - mid June

Does this mean that their next update will be mid July? Who knows, but it's possible. So if I had to guess, I would guess mid July. I'm leaning more towards the 13th than the 20th, but nobody knows.

11. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I think this is a clear pattern. The only question is whether the July update will be a MacBook Air or a Mac Pro. I hope the latter especially because as the summer progresses the iMac update may take place in one of the upcoming monthly slots. Of course there's no reason Apple can't update two at a time :rolleyes:

12. strausd macrumors 68030

My guess is the MP before the MBA because theres about a 100 day difference between the updates of the MP and the MBA. 483 for MP and 386 for MBA.

13. gatti macrumors newbie

This sounds pretty realistic, especially since each month they are either releasing or "announcing" something new. Fingers crossed on early or mid July "release" date.

14. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

The guy that said September, that had some inside Apple source on this forum, is probably the only one with credible information and is likely correct. That said. I do feel strongly that Apple has dropped the ball and let us down here. This is no way to keep pace with the technology markets. I find it quite sad really. Even if we hold out and finally get the update this fall, the future does not look bright for the Mac Pro line.

15. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

i hope its a different team workin on next Mac Pro line after the fail on IPhone 4's antenna......
    and if its the same...they have to fix that as soon as they can in order to avoid Jobs Inferno...on them...
    Apple is actually riskin a lot...even a strong class action comin up...
    I hope to see the "old" Apple...comin back soon...
    doing its best ,simply working.
    What i know is that we are shifting from
    "Think different " to ( as seen on gizmodo's)"Grip different"
    From Mac Osx to I.os ....and i'm a little sad about that.:(

Ps.
    I suppose,even if i can't say when,( perhaps on Fall?),,that Imac line and Mac PRO LIne will be updated very closely...
    why?to avoid to have a Stronger Imac than the present QuadCore entry level.....
    even the entry Pro must be stronger than the best Imac ...
    so Quad core and new Ati on Imacs..?.ok!,.but before a new 6-12 cores on the MAC PROs...
    well...just speculating....
    or maybe...hoping

16. strausd macrumors 68030

Could you post a link to the september rumor?

17. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

It's just a few posts by a member inside one of the many mac pro overdue type threads here. I don't remember which one off the top off my head. Maybe someone else does? he insisted that he had it from "inside" "an apple employee who would know" (as opposed to someone who gets their rumors from us) and maybe he was right. Sure seems so know.

Here is another similar post from today. Not sure if this is the same guy.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10382328&postcount=167

18. strausd macrumors 68030

Seems to me like he is only saying "looks like the intel is turning out to be true" only because it hasn't come out yet, doesn't mean it will be september. I feel like there is a better possibility of the new Mac Pro coming out in mid July than in September. Mainly because of the whole mid month computer update they have done for the past 3 months in a row. But just like everything else, its only speculation.

Edit: I just found the september thread. It links to an article on hardmac about the availability of the new CPUs and that is its only reason for saying we won't see the new MP til September. However, that article seems irrelevant now that the new CPUs are being seen in many other workstations. And with Apple, they won't have to wait for the later public availability of the CPUs because they would have a contract with Intel and would get the CPUs earlier than other distributors.

19. the editor macrumors regular

The MacPro delay has absolutely nothing to do with CPU shortage or any other CPU related problem for that mater. The local computer store is putting computers together with these new CPU's since the last week of May...This tells me that if a relatively small computer shop is able to get their hands on the cpu's that are supposed to go in the MacPro's , there's some other reason why the MacPro is taking so long.

i'm "guessing" that the machine is just not ready and far from ready, last year Apple has clearly shifted its focus on the Ipad and Iphone leaving no time to come up with a computer that's worthy to be Apple's top of the line high end professional workstation. They could come up with a simple upgrade but even Apple knows that a simple CPU upgrade is not going to cut it, if they did the Imac (also due to update) and Mac Pro would be direct competitors with very few differences in speed, even the fact that the Imac is very limited in terms of expansion wouldn't justify the 2000+$ price change with the mac pro when speed is basically the same.

Also rumors of Apple waiting for Light peak make me giggle, seriously...its going to take Apple "at least" till 2012 before we are going to see lightpeak in Macs. We don't even have Blue-Ray yet and that's out for a few years now. No way the next release is going to have USB 3.0...forget about it. Especially at the slow pase Apple is going. They are just far behind when it comes to keeping up with other computer manufacturers. Ofcourse Apple is going to stay here and has a very strong market position thanks to the Itoys, on the other hand i say Apple is going to lose a lot of ground when it comes to computers in the future...people are no longer going to take them serious, i mean how can you take a company that charges more than double the price for outdated hardware and still calls it "latest technology" serious. How can you as a professional take a company serious that sticks a 60$ graphics card and 6gb memory, with a 640 GB HDD in a 4000$ computer, or do they make the case out of solid gold? Granted Macs look sweet...but i'd rather have my money's worth in hardware and performance instead of something that just looks good.

Sooner or later Apples policy and way of doing business is going to backfire. One of these days a kid messing around on computers in his garage is going to come up with a way to make a clean and 1-2-3 way to install MacOS flawlessly on a self build computer. That is going to be the end of the Mac. because face it, the only thing keeping Mac alive is the OS. Apple realizes this more than ever...why'd you think they are now a "mobile device company" focusing on Iphones, Ipads and Ipods, simply because they know they have a week position that could fall at any moment, not saying there won't be people buying Macs anymore just saying there will be an absolutely huge number of people going for a hackintosh system that runs just as smooth and just as fast for half the money.

20. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I agree it will likely be July but what year is the question? 2010? 2011? :p

21. strausd macrumors 68030

Haha the sad part is thats becoming a very relevant question

22. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I agree that regardless of what Jobs says, the focus and resources shifted away form the pro line and even a mild updating certainly takes a good deal of design and testing time, and it is clear to me that at some point in early Spring, they put the MP on hold. I think that it could have come out already and maybe Apple intended for that since there were some rumors to that effect, but the truth probably is that they simply don't have the resources or the will to get it moving.

As far as the hackintosh option, as a long time PC builder and overclocker that went through about 3-4 systems a year, I don't shy away form the hackintosh as a concept, however, I'm not convinced as to the long term viability of it concerning updates and the iffy nature of exactly what hardware will cooperate and the drivers issue, etc. I left PC's to get away from these sort of issues and I don't want to go backwards. However, if Apple ever opened up OSX to PC's in general, (which they won't anytime soon), I'd be first in line at this point. Apple simply can't keep up with the latest hardware trends in "pro" computing, period. That said, I'll wait, because the alternative is still too much of a hassle and I am seated on OSX programs fro the time being. It does however feel very "prisoner" like to be at Jobs two word mercy. I really hate that part of it. I love Apple products and absolutely despise Apple as a company.

23. Vylen macrumors 65816

Around now could either be a good or a bad time to release an update on any sort of mac hardware with the media and general populace being more interested in iPhone 4.

Good time, cause then it would relieve the bad press regarding the iPhone 4.
    But a bad time, cause it could be buried under the obsession of the iPhone 4.

Don't forget that Apple is a business, that not only caters to the consumer, but also to its investors. Apple has a greater obligation to them than us since they actually own some portion of the company. So I dunno, stand in the shoes of someone who can lose and earn money based on the decisions of a large company.

Of course, I don't know anything about this stuff :p

24. Murray M thread starter macrumors regular

Murray M

:D

25. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

One thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other from a buyers perspective. The only relation is that maybe resources at Apple are strained. Everyone is looking for reasons and magical dates and correlations to other product launches. I don't think any of that come into play for the Mac Pro marketing game plan. There is something way more basic at play here.