New Mac Pro or more memory

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TekSupport, Jun 18, 2010.

1. TekSupport macrumors newbie

Hey folks...I have a Mac Pro, Gen 1 you can say, quad 2.66Mhz and 6GB of RAM. It's what...going on 4-5 years? yea...something like that. Been thinking of upgrading to a new faster machine or should I or just get more memory..? I do ALOT of photo edits on Aperture 3 and some video edits using iMovie and the like

Your thoughts?

TIA!

TS

2. anubis macrumors 6502a

You're smokin dope if you want to buy a Mac Pro now. It hasn't been updated in over 470 days. If you must have improved performance right now, get the memory upgrade (memory's cheap) and wait to see what the next Mac Pro is

3. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Yes, as Anubis pointed out, the Mac Pro is well WELL overdue for an update. In fact it was one of the million products rumoured to have been updated at this years WWDC without success.

If I were you, I'd stuff some more RAM in it from crucial and pray that the new Pro comes with it a new officially supported GPU that can bodge into the Gen 1 Mac Pro.

If I recall the Mac Pro was introduced around August/September '06. Mine was delivered just a week or two after release.... ah good times!

4. TekSupport thread starter macrumors newbie

yea..figured as much..just needed to hear it from someone else...OtherWorldComputing.Com seems to have great deals on Mac Memory..think I'll stuff another 12GB in there for around $439...

thanks guys!!!

TS