New Mac Pro owner with few questions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Eikka, May 28, 2007.

1. Eikka macrumors newbie

I am about to receive my Mac Pro in a few days, and i need some help.

I am getting the most basic configuration you can get(2x2ghz,1gb RAM,250gb HD,7300gt etc)

I need some advice on how to set-up my system for "max" performance.

I have 3x80gb sata HD:s as leftovers from previous machines, should i use them as a RAID 0 for system/programs disk, or just expand my storage space for now.(before i can afford more bigger disks) Will i see any added performance from the raid setup?

Also, i have ordered a Kingston 2GB memory set(KTA-MP667AK2/2G), is it advisable to use this set with the original 2x512mb configuration, and how should i install the memory in the risers?

Thanks for reading,

-Eikka

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No. The benefits of RAID 0 are minimal (if any) in desktop computer use, and will be offset by the fact that your 80's are much slower in overall throughput than modern perpendicular recording 400+ Gb drives. Plus a RAID 0 is very risky, total data loss if only 1 drive has a hardware failure - Esp. if you are using used, older drives...

It is a good idea to separate your System/Applications from your Data in a 2 drive configuration. With the price of 400 / 500 Gb drives at all time lows, just get a nice fast SATA drive for your data.

Yes, you can install the Kingston in slot 1 & 2 of Riser 1, and the APple memory in slot 1 and 2 of Riser 2.

3. Eikka thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Blogger macrumors 6502

Canada Ram, my experience is quite different to what you report. I have a pair of 500 GB drives in RAID 0, and two single , identical drives for backups. When i boot from a backup dive, it's immediately noticeable how much slower it is.

YMMV
    Cheers!

5. Eikka thread starter macrumors newbie

Next question: I have a Dell 2407wfp display, what display profile should i use, or should i just use the calibration utility and make my "own"?

I just want the best picture for everyday use.

btw, do 1,5gb/s sata drives work at all in the Mac Pro?