new mac pro - please verify

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by osin, Jun 14, 2008.

1. osin macrumors 6502

I just bought new MacPro and...

box was double taped and also one hdd bay has screws a little bit striped...
    should I worry about that stuff?

is there anyway to check if my computer is brand new or was returned?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Double-taped as in: two layers of tape but only one was sealed?

3. ashkelon28 macrumors newbie

If only one layer of tape was sealed then I'd definitely take it back. Truthfully a screw could get stripped during manufacturing but if you see other scratches or signs I personally would take it back. I'm a bit anal about spending $2k on a computer. I'd like it to arrive in pristine condition.

4. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

yes only one was sealed...

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Take that sucker back and demand a NEW machine. Perhaps with a RAM upgrade for your trouble and their lie, but don't expect anything.

They're likely to give you store credit...

6. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

there is no scratches...
    everything looks new, there was no dust inside the computer...

tape used the second time was the same width and type.
    is it possible that the box was opened only for inspection purpose?

7. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

That should not happen at the factory, since they do quality-control prior to sealing it up.

If it happened in shipment, there should be a sticker saying this happened. Some of the HP equipment we get has been opened by the TSA (it's shipped commercial air cargo) and they have stickers that say "This box was opened for inspection by the TSA".

8. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

If you purchased it at an Apple Store, there's a good chance it was opened at the store for any number of reasons. If you ordered it on line, and there is no markings indicating an inspection, then I would be a bit more concerned......

9. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought it in the store.
    So what would be the reason for them to open the box?

10. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Is it possible they opened it in store to verify the contents before you was handed the machine?

I noticed when in an Apple store and a chap was purchashing a Macbook Pro, they opened it to double check the contents before he left.:apple:

11. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Maybe it was going to be a display, then somebody changed their mind.

Maybe somebody else got a bad keyboard/mouse/paperwork, and was given it out of yours. Then it was replaced and retaped.

Maybe a difficult customer didn't believe something, and only opening a box could prove a point.

Retail, retail, retail...........................

12. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

13. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i would not take a chance in hell, demand a new sealed box
    i went to best buy one time to get a dvd player and the one i wanted was the only one left but it had the same thing you have and i said ill get it and when i got home and started it up it was defective! did not work
    so i went back and they gave me a NEW one, you can tell if its new right away!

i cant believe how they would put something like that back on the shelves!

14. ashkelon28 macrumors newbie

90% chance you have no issues. But if you have easy access to the Apple store (if you do, I'm jealous. No store for 80 miles here) I'd take it back and get a different one. You might get laughed at by the retail folks behind your back, lord knows I laughed at a lot of folks when working retail, you'll feel better about your purchase.

15. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

imagine the looks when the guys will hear the reason of the return? :D

I forgot to mention that the "bag" that computer is covered inside the box had original and untouched Apple sticker on...

I just wanted to know if there is any way to check if the computer was used before or if it a refurb...

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

A lot of times either employees will open a box to check something (like if some customer wants to see what the inside of a box looks like, seriously they ask stupid stuff like that) or to see if a cable or something comes with it. If the apple sticker is untouched you should be fine.

17. Triquetra macrumors newbie

Triquetra

Don't worry about it...

It was probably because they were flat packing leopard upgrade discs into your box. I used to work at an Apple Store, and if a new OS came out after a model was introduced they all had to ship with the current OS discs, so they would throw in that disc, or a new iLife disc etc...

18. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

If theres no dust then it was never used. They cant get rid of all the dust on the fans and stuff.

An employee may have had to open the box to check the contents for verification of someones question or to check to see if a returned item matched a new item. It could be a number of reasons why someone felt the need to open it.

19. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

who said it has to have dust in it?? someone can just open it use it for a little and return it, it even can be defective

20. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

80 miles... pfft thats nothing. 158 miles for me... but lets not turn this into a competition and just say that I've won.

Back to topic, I wouldn't really bother, like most people have said, If you bought it from a retail store, they probably had a legitimate reason to open the box. You also get the standard warranty so if it is defective, you can return it. I hope I don't need to say it, but keep your receipt!

21. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

this seems to be the best reason for opening the box...

I assume that they had this computer for a long time because I had to upgrade EFI to 1.3 which was released on March...

thanks guys for answers.
    I'm going to keep it for now :)

22. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Did you get any optional extras with the computer like a wireless keyboard or extra software? If so, they might have needed to open the box to add these.

23. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

haha, yeah, i laugh at people a lot while working retail. people are stupid. . sorry, but they are.

and the nearest apple store to me is about 200+ miles from me. . the nearest place i can atleast play with a mac is about 2 hours away. . . so i win.

haha. but back to the subject, i wouldn't bother with it either. . there are several vaild reasons to which it could have been opened. . but if there is anything wrong . . then i would be worried. but until then-- keep your receipt.

24. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Buying something new and finding that it was opened and resealed (especially in such a way as to be harder to detect. Double taped in exactly the same places) would really bother me. But that's just me.

25. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

A lad I know bought a Macbook online (from Apple ) that came with the clear circle sticker cut and a new one had been put over it , it had a bad drive , it went back .