New Mac Pro Price range

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LeKiD, Sep 18, 2007.

1. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

I was wondering if someone who knows about Apple habits could give an approximate pricing of the new mac pro. I know that when I bought my old single processor 1.8 the dual arrived soon after for approximatly the same price. Would that be the case for the updates?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

most of the time the price points stay the same with just updated specs.

3. docprego macrumors 65816

I don't know but I am hoping for a less expensive dual or quad core machine alongside all the 8 cores that are sure to come. Maybe dual core for $1799, quad core for $1999 and octo starting at the current quad core price of $2499.

All speculation on my part. Who knows maybe the whole line will be octo only and start at $2499?

4. fernmeister macrumors regular

There's no way Apple will take a step backwards and release a dual core Pro - it will be quads and octos or all octos. Given the hints in the new pricing, they may well go 8 core all the way in the new line (three models).

5. docprego macrumors 65816

I can't argue with your logic and for the most part think you are correct. It would be really nice to see a drop in the entry price for the pro and have it remain quad core.

How about $1899 quad core, $2499 octo?

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Could be possible consider the price cuts on the woodcrest processors.

It will be interesting to see what Apple's price points will be on the next Mac Pro.

7. Amethyst macrumors 6502

I think all 8-Core

2 * Harpertown - 2.8 / 3.0 / 3.2 GHz

Standart is 2499 usd using 3.0 GHz
    and -200 usd for 2.8 GHz model

8. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I doubt this... sadly they won't let that happen because it would cannibalize iMac sales.

It would be great though!

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Too expensive. You'd be looking at spending $2500 just for a systemboard and the processors retail. If they do go 1600MHz then the 2.8 is the candidate for a $2500 price point. It's not easy to upsell processors, but there is big money in it. A big gap from 2.8 to 3.2 could command over $1000 easily and people would pay it.

The question of course is then what do they do with the lower end? No slower models, so either no lower end or a 1333MHz FSB processor. Then there is the issue of RAM, I doubt Apple want to be selling two types (667 and 800), but I can't comment on the performance issues youd have with 800MHz memory with a 1333MHz FSB processor.

It'll be interesting to see what Apple do, I think one thing that is almost certain is the range of choices will be small, and designed to "wow" the customer in to upgrading.

10. docprego macrumors 65816

I don't think it would cannibalize iMac sales. It is $100 more than the 2.4GHz iMac but the Pro does not include a display. Tack a cinema display on and you are looking at $2500 for the quad core with 20" and $2800 for the quad core with 23". Add on another $600 for octo. The high end iMac with the 2.8GHz processor is much less expensive than all of these configurations at $2299.