New Mac Pro Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by UndertheRadar, Apr 24, 2007.

1. UndertheRadar macrumors member

Just got my Pro and boy is it sweet looking. I copied all my files from my duo macbook via firewire, and everything went well. My question is this: Is the hard drive usually this noisy? So far I only have the stock drive but should it sound like it's actually crunching something? :rolleyes:

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

3. cowdog macrumors newbie

No such problem here

Just as a data point for you, I just got a new Pro as well a week ago (stock drive, 2.33, 15"), and haven't noticed any sounds at all from the hard drive. I've been listening for them, and haven't heard any. My environment is reasonably quiet (normal neighborhood) but not a monastery.

4. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

hard drives shouldn't make noise that

a) you can dance to
    b) wakes you up at night
    c) rivals your neighbor's dog in the ability to annoy
    d) makes you itch to go and buy a backup drive

no really, try posting an audio recording of this sound. in the meantime, back EVERYTHING up, and don't delete anything from your macbook.

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

When in douby, reboot, see if it still doing it. When you aren't running anything, you shouldn't really hear it.

6. UndertheRadar thread starter macrumors member

I've done a clean re-install of the software and find that the sound is still there. I'll try and record and post.:mad:

7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

is it a clicking?
    or a grinding?

if either go buy a new drive wait for the current to fail and yell and apple.

8. UndertheRadar thread starter macrumors member

Ok. Got a sample using the macbooks mic so bare with me. I've had hard drives make the sound before but never on a new machine or new drive. Maybe I'm over reacting. I would appreciate any feedback. I've attached the sample aif as a zip.

Attached Files:

9. piltupso macrumors regular

Pretty hard to tell from the recording but mine has always made sort of a little clicky noise when that drive was writing. Similar, I think to what I heard in your audio clip. I have never had any trouble in fact I never even thought about it until I listened to your clip. I have been using mine daily since August. Mac Pro with stock drive.

10. UndertheRadar thread starter macrumors member

So far I've only read from the drive. The sound occurs more when i open create a new file in any of the ilife apps. Probably nothing to worry about.:confused:

11. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

my Mac pro is SILENT except for the fans on the x1900 graphics card, and I've seen posts around here that other peoples are silent as well. I would say you probably have a problem. Call AppleCare and see what they have to say.

12. UndertheRadar thread starter macrumors member

The sound isn't too bad, and I'm buying new drives anyway. I'll probably use it as a backup. Thanks guys