New Mac Pro Raid/Boot Config Question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vogelhausdesign, Mar 10, 2009.

1. vogelhausdesign macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

Hey guys , Just got my 8core 2.93 today and I must say I'm very happy with my purchase.. I just have a few generic questions about my RAID/Drive configuration.. I'm looking for speed because I have External Back up daily, I dont need Mirrored soft raids..

So right now I'm BOOTING from my 2TB 2x Raid Stripe that comes from 2 1TB WD 7200 drives.. I Also have the stock 640 Gig drive to hold my design files and Misc..then everything else is backed up into a lunchbox Drobo

My Question is, what kind of configuration should I have for performance with what I have? I don't have a raid card and I don't plan on getting one..

Can anyone tell me how to soft-raid set up a nice/fast system with the drives I listed.. I'm currently using Adobe Master, C4D, Maya as my main uses.

Thanks everyone

* As I side note, GeekBenched 17,210.. XBenched 329.. But thats only the best of 3 tests, it varied a lot and I think my drive configuration has a lot to do with this.. The random cache read/right was really low

2. belvdr macrumors 601

If you're looking to keep your system up from a disk failure, I'd do a soft mirror then. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend software RAID to anyone.

3. vogelhausdesign thread starter macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

I've never even had a hick-up running WD Drives as slices for a disk array in SoftRAID

4. hubiedubie macrumors member

Can you post the breakdown of Xbench results for the 2.93? Or else a link to them? I'm sure plenty of people would be interested in seeing them
    Thanks.

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

That doesn't mean you won't ever have a "hick-up" (sic), does it??

If you are not getting a RAID card, you have the fastest setup possible already with the drives you have.

S-

6. NYCubby macrumors newbie

Bootcamp on Raid 0 Array?

Can you test to see if Bootcamp will work on your raid 0 array on the 2009 Mac Pro???

If it works, then I will be getting one!

Thanks!
    Aaron

7. belvdr macrumors 601

You asked for a fast RAID system. Software RAID != fast. Simple as that.