New Mac Pro recalled. Anyone else get this call?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JeremyStarseed, May 14, 2012.

1. JeremyStarseed macrumors newbie

Our recent acquisition (an 8 core) is being replaced due to a supposed fault with a generation of hard drives. This is a little odd, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else has heard from them about the same or some similar issue in the past.

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

3. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Don't see why you need to replace the whole Mac Pro if its only a defective hard drive.

4. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

It seems awfully bizarre (and wasteful) that Apple would decide to replace entire Mac Pro units because of a hard drive recall.

If only car manufacturers did the same thing. After 4 airbag wiring harness malfunctions within a 4-year period on my VW GTI, I would have loved to be offered a brand new car. Hehe...

6. JeremyStarseed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. It did seem a little odd, to say the least. I even thought it could be a scam. Very friendly service person though and so mostly a precaution to ask around.

All in all, the machine is a dream to work on, haven't been anywhere near pushing it yet even with what I would have previously considered a large project.

7. spacedesign911 macrumors regular

Jeremy, are you in the UK or Ireland? Did you buy online? if so when? I am curious if you were offered an option of a new HD or a new Mac Pro, also curious if they will send you one in advance, are they offering you assistance in cloning your drive etc. I ask because I might just have to pull the trigger on a current model and I would like to be prepared for a new machine arriving then potentially leaving!

8. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The issue is known, Apple aren't going to sell you a new Mac Pro that has a known faulty drive in it. As such, if you buy one now, you won't get it recalled.

9. Oldschoolwax macrumors member

I guess it hasn't happen on MP's but They had to come in and pull the drives out of all 30 of our 2011 27" iMac's and I had to clone all the damned drives again myself, which really sucked as I had to do it from a third boot option or the install disk because you cannot clone the live partition anymore ( more reason Lion is hated by me ) This was especially fun being that all the user accounts and data from the 3D/Video/CS5.5 data on each machine had to be restored to each numbered machine. <can you tell I'm still not happy about that?>

10. Wardenski macrumors 6502

I do not know if this is related but my new (3 month old) WD Caviar Black has already developed bad sectors. I have suspected this for a while but now I see the spinning beachball a great number of times.

One or two threads at toms hardware say that WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 batch contain manufacturing defects.

11. brianric macrumors regular

I've had no problem cloning the active partion on my Mac Pro using Caron Copy Cloner, and I have Lion on my system.

12. Oldschoolwax macrumors member

Yes, but this being a State University I cannot use anything they don't purchase, and being that we got all new machines and software we will not get another dime for 6 years. Funny thing is that Lion would copy the active partition with disk utility when it was first installed, but an update seems to have taken that away. ( Ours shipped with SL and they wanted to use the upgrade before it expired, I was out that day. When I came in I cloned a drive but after they ran updates a bit later you get a message saying no active drive cloning in disk utility. )

13. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

If you cannot get or use inexpensive software you need for a critical function for 6 years, your University is f'd up.

14. Oldschoolwax macrumors member

Yeah, tell me about it. It's been quite challenging for the past few years. We can get things, but it often takes weeks for approval. I hope to see some changes soon or I'm not staying much longer.