Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Which Year :rolleyes:

This year.

:rolleyes:

"We have something exciting for the Pros this year" --Tim Cook.

Not saying what it means, just stating what he said.

"An Apple spokesman just told me that new models and new designs of the Mac Pro, as well as the iMac desktop, are in the works and will likely be released in 2013. That confirms what New York Times columnist David Pogue said yesterday, citing an unnamed Apple executive, about Apple’s commitment to its desktop computers."

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Sigh..... this has been covered a ridiculous number of times. Apple PR directly implicated Mac Pro ( not something else ).

" ... Update: Apple PR has reached out and clarified that only the Mac Pro is expected to be next updated in 2013. .... "
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/1...c-pro-and-imac-designs-likely-coming-in-2013/

The only reason to keep going back to Cooks comments that were clarified months ago is to drudge up FUD.

Well see there you go. That was the last time I remembered so that is what I googled. Thank you for the clarification. :)

muziksculp

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
This year.

:rolleyes:

"An Apple spokesman just told me that new models and new designs of the Mac Pro, as well as the iMac desktop, are in the works and will likely be released in 2013. That confirms what New York Times columnist David Pogue said yesterday, citing an unnamed Apple executive, about Apple’s commitment to its desktop computers."

The wait continues .... :(

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Pogue is a moron.. He has been discredited many times over.. I don't buy some inside Apple spokesman said there would be a new Mac Pro in 2013. Furthermore, Cooks email only mentions about something wonderful for 2013, and what he did reference with Mac Pro was: We refreshed(speed bumped) the current Mac Pros.

Tell me, just tell me... where he actually said There WILL be a new mac pro in 2013?? I don't see it in that email, and nor do I believe Pogue's bogus rumor either.. It will happen when it happens.

"An Apple spokesman just told me that new models and new designs of the Mac Pro, as well as the iMac desktop, are in the works and will likely be released in 2013. That confirms what New York Times columnist David Pogue said yesterday, citing an unnamed Apple executive, about Apple’s commitment to its desktop computers."[/QUOTE]

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Pogue is a moron.

Poge specifically is immaterial if you want to handwave about how he is not 'connected' to Apple execs and info.

Apple PR reach out to Macrumors explicitly.
they reached out to Forbes

" ... Apple said today that it is working on new models and designs for its Mac Pro desktop that will be released in 2013.

The company confirmed a New York Times report, citing an unnamed Apple executive yesterday, that new desktops are in play. ... "
http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieg...esigns-for-imac-mac-pro-in-works-due-in-2013/

Apple has repeatively pointed back to these "working on something in 2013" on numerous occasions later. Of late, the EU brohaha when they are pressed about what they are going to do about being blocked in the EU market.

"... Several months ago Apple CEO Tim Cook promised that a new product specifically for pro users would be coming in 2013. Apple declined to give any further information about a potential Mac Pro replacement except to reiterate that it was "working on a pro product for later this year." ...."
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/01/apple-to-stop-shipping-mac-pro-in-europe-on-march-1/

It is comical at this point to imply that Apple isn't being clear and consist on message about the Mac Pro (not some other Mac ) and sometime in 2013 as being the timeline.

I don't buy some inside Apple spokesman said there would be a new Mac Pro in 2013.

You don't have to buy the sky is blue either. The citings from numerous sources who interact with Apple PR have an evidence all there own independent of whatever spin you concoct for yourself.

Tell me, just tell me... where he actually said There WILL be a new mac pro in 2013??

Nobody responsible to going to make contractual guarantees they are going to deliver a new product in a future year. That is silly. Stuff happens. Technically, Cook can't comment on future products anyway because it is against company policy. The comments are largely made to squash ungrounded rumors much more than the nail down a specific date or details for a new Mac Pro.

There is nothing in Cooks comments saying there won't be one either. Much of the Apple PR interaction is to control the hyersteria and down right dubious spurious inferences folks did make from Cooks comments just as much as they were to clean up what Cook said in the emails.

----------

I prefer Steve Jobs.. Cook is running Apple into the ground.

LOL. All the products current out ( or not ) were on Jobs' approved 2-3 year roadmap. It is more likely it was Jobs that canned the Mac Pro R&D in 2010-2011 that put the Mac Pro into the position it is in now.

As for running it into the ground .... they seem to have 10's of billions more now in their world's largest hedge fund now than they did when Jobs was in charge. That's is an awfully whacked version of "into the ground".

Byrnes3969

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
Nice - but no thanks. Too much $$

I wouldn't mind a mac mini pro - $1000 - 1500

i7 or Xeon processor
up to 32 gb Ram
Fire Pro or Quadro graphics
Fusion Drive
usb 3.0

But a $2500 base model Mac pro to run FCP X would be too much for me.

----------

Pogue is a moron.. He has been discredited many times over.. I don't buy some inside Apple spokesman said there would be a new Mac Pro in 2013. Furthermore, Cooks email only mentions about something wonderful for 2013, and what he did reference with Mac Pro was: We refreshed(speed bumped) the current Mac Pros.

Tell me, just tell me... where he actually said There WILL be a new mac pro in 2013?? I don't see it in that email, and nor do I believe Pogue's bogus rumor either.. It will happen when it happens.

[/QUOTE]

Classic Apple stall tactic:

"Wait, just wait. Don't buy anything else or leave our platform because soon, veeeeeery soooon we'll be coming out with something magical, something so wonderful it's unlike anything you've ever seen. We just don't have any details, release dates, or any other information, and we won't comment on it again. But it's going to be the greatest thing ever".

I love Apple products but I hate their business practices.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Actually, what is in the ground is his shell and Earth form he used while on the Earth Plane of existance.. Steve Jobs and who he was is now pure energy, a soul if you may...

This site will answer all your questions:

www dot channelingerik dot com

Steve Jobs is already in the ground...

...I'll get my coat.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Classic Apple stall tactic:

"Wait, just wait. Don't buy anything else or leave our platform because soon, veeeeeery soooon we'll be coming out with something magical, something so wonderful it's unlike anything you've ever seen. We just don't have any details, release dates, or any other information, and we won't comment on it again. But it's going to be the greatest thing ever".

I love Apple products but I hate their business practices.

This has gone both ways though. Newton got (eventually) replaced by the iPhone. And they also said this while they were working on OS X (which was delayed by two years.)

ensee

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
When Apple showed up at NAB 2011 to show off FCPX they didn't have a booth or anything, did they? Looking at the MR archive, seems like we got news about it in the week running up to the event so – if it happens – we'll know in a couple of days, right?

At this point they could announce it and ship it in a couple of months. You're not cannibalising the current model, especially since it's not even on the shelves in Europe. Just get the news out there.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Isn't it actually Intel's ability to produce the next generation of Xeons in good numbers that will determine exactly when new pro Macs will be announced and released. At least more than likely.

So the "where or when are the new pro Macs threads" should be be really ask "where or when are the next generation Xeon processors?"

But that would be too logical and not as much fun.:)

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Isn't it actually Intel's ability to produce the next generation of Xeons in good numbers that will determine exactly when new pro Macs will be announced and released. At least more than likely.

So the "where or when are the new pro Macs threads" should be be really ask "where or when are the next generation Xeon processors?"

Well, no. It's by order when it's a in quantities. So to simplify it it would look like:

• 02/2012 Apple begins preliminary MacPro 6,1 design and cost estimates.

• 08/2012 Apple pledges to purchase X amount of product Y from various companies (like Intel, etc.).

• 09/2012 Intel returns an estimate and delivery date (in lots) starting 04/2013.

• Apple accepts, or renegotiates, or redesigns.

• 10/2012 Apple creates build specs, defines tolerances, and begins outsourcing agreements - to be delivered on xx/2013 (to whoever won the assembly contract).
    • (I hear Apple trying to have more stuff assembled in the USA - which might be a problem as the federal gov is trying hard to squelch manufacturing in the USA)

• 08/2013 the first batch of tested units become available and Apple adds the product to their web-site.

• 09/2013 the 1st MacPro 6,1 units are received by end users.
That's of course oversimplified but that's the gist of it.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010

That logic sailed 2 years ago after sufficient Xeons were introduced. Then it was possibly about Thunderbolt integration through the desktop cards. Then it was about greed. Then laziness. Some stupidity. And now we are here.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England

The 2006, 2007 processor addition, 2008 and 2009 models were all waiting on Intel to release new CPUs. They could have maybe launched the 2006 a few weeks earlier, but it made more sense to introduce it at WWDC. As the other models were the first to get those CPUs then I think it is fair to say Intel's ability to provide CPUs was major influence on the release date.

Since those days that hasn't been the case. The 2010 models came long after Intel introduced update CPUs and the 2012 models could have had the update applied over a year before.

I suppose it depends how you want to look at it and what happens. If Apple come out with Sandy Bridge-EP Mac Pros then no they weren't waiting on Intel as they have been out for nearly a year at this point. If they come out with Ivy Bridge-EP Mac Pros later in the year, then they obviously had to wait on Intel to produce that part, but they didn't have to wait for Ivy Bridge-EP to make a transition from the older model.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here

except they skipped the last gen and the new gen is Q4 of this year. People are looking for Sandy MP's not Ivy

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
That logic sailed 2 years ago after sufficient Xeons were introduced.

Two? Try one. Xeon E5 was introduced in March 2012 and went to volume in April-June 2012 ..... around the same time Apple just went to the year previous speed bumps on CPU and stayed steady state on GPUs (~3 years old).

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012030701_Intel_rolls_out_Xeon_E5-1600_and_E5-2600_CPUs.html

But yes... There already are new Xeon candidates to move to. The generation after that is coming up. There was no rational reason to wait on purpose for that one since it is pin and electrically compatible with the current one.

Unless there is some magical, special custom Xeon E5 coming with an iGPU that has somehow stayed completely off the radar so far, then there is nothing that could be worth waiting for to offset the drama of having the product withdrawn from the EU markets primarily due to old age.

Then it was possibly about Thunderbolt integration through the desktop cards. Then it was about greed. Then laziness. Some stupidity. And now we are here.

Signs increasingly point to that Apple just wasn't working on one. That's why last June they knew it they needed to reset expectations for something new out into 2013.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Since those days that hasn't been the case. The 2010 models came long after Intel introduced update CPUs ....

Technically Intel's 2010 update was a bit jacked up with respect to Mac Pro and the single package model. The Xeon 3600 series launched with exactly one processor model in it. That is hardly a 'series'. Intel never did release a hgher clocked 4 core model in the 3600 series. The primarily reason why the entry Mac Pro is so close to the iMac now in CPU x86 core performance is purely Intel's quirky product roadmap for the single package models.

The Xeon E3 was launch relatively shortly after Intel's screw up. It is likely some deeply misguided marketing drone screwed up the product line up for a generation (with the notion that the E3's were taking the place of the previous 3000 series. They didn't; it is a new submarket). I suspect some customers ( probably including Apple) pointed out just how misguided that was and so a far more sensible Xeon E5 1600 set up options appeared last year.

Finally it really didn't matter the 2010 came late because roadmaps for the Xeon E5 (Sandy Bridge) were already projecting a larger than usual gap before the next update. Every other workstation vendor shipped with no "next gen" processors in 2011 either. Everyone hit a long stall; that was in no way Apple specific.

and the 2012 models could have had the update applied over a year before.

If Apple has speed bumped either they'd had nothing at the June mark. Reserving that for a "Plan B" upgrade was the right move since it appears they were debating whether to continue or not at all.

I suppose it depends how you want to look at it and what happens. If Apple come out with Sandy Bridge-EP Mac Pros then no they weren't waiting on Intel as they have been out for nearly a year at this point. If they come out with Ivy Bridge-EP Mac Pros later in the year, then they obviously had to wait on Intel to produce that part,

Not really on the latter one. If they didn't start working on a new Mac Pro until very early 2012 it would take them well into 2013 anyway. Regardless of what Intel was doing.

Since the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge models share the same chipset are are largely the same TDP parameters, there isn't anything all that special about the Ivy Bridge models worth waiting for. Especially if know about to get jacked by an EU market shut down. Selecting those over Ivy Bridge would depend upon when the rest of the system could be ready. If they couldn't finish the core infrastructure until May-June then it makes sense to wait for Ivy Bridge but Ivy Bridge wouldn't be the driver.

Increasingly it doesn't make alot of sense to depend upon Intel if want to deliver on a regular schedule. Over last 3 years they have repeatively demonstrated to the tendency to move this class of CPU upgrades around the calendar year. In part it is the increased integration present in CPUs and I/O hubs driving longer bug squashing cycles. In part Intel is focused more on much larger mobile market and higher end customers are more conservative buyers (again long cycles, only on the 'buying' side).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.