Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carrerascott

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Has Apple included any locking or cable loop mechanism with the nMP? The oMP would be a challenge to steal without being noticed. This one would fit in a backpack.

Any thoughts on this? Or has it been discussed?

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
I'm certain this topic has been beaten to death like a herd of dead horses.

Everything else about the new Mac Pro has.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
The consensus was that Apple built this only for professionals, which means Pixar / Dreamworks / other major studio employees in completely secure buildings where doors only open with an authorized badge-swipe.

:p

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Without a doubt, some enterprising third-party peripheral manufacturer will devise and market a pretty chastity belt for the new Mac Pro.

Just give them some time to figure it out. It will come.

echoout

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Austin, Texas
Great! Which schools? I need to enroll, so I can snag a free nMP! :p

It's kind of funny, two of the biggest headaches right now for our IT staff are the security of nMPs and the deployment of the Adobe Creative Cloud. We've got until this Fall to figure it out. Should be interesting.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Any thoughts on this? Or has it been discussed?

It got discussed in original threads around the time of the June announcement and the first set of pictures.

Nothing obviously there. If the latch flipped out to run a cable through ( not exactly but similar to previous Mac Pro mechanism) that probably would not show up in the pictures.

More likely some kind of collar (like what is used for Mac Minis) will show up eventually. (the latch would be free to move but can't lift the cover off.) Not exactly this but similar in concept of coming up the sides and holding down the top.

mac-mini-mount1.jpg

http://www.tryten.com/mac-computer-locks/mac-mini-security-mount.html

You'll bolt or secure the collar.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
why do you call them computer laboratories in america

i always wondered
convention I guess?
In many colleges the part of the class where you listen to the professor is called the "Lecture" and the part where you do the work is the "Lab" or laboratory.
So you try and get you lab and lecture classes on the same day, or some students try and get them on separate days.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
.... I'm going to be filling several of my labs at schools with these things and getting this sorted out will be interesting.

Track down the vendors who do special Mac oriented devices now. Once they have a Mac Pro to confirm the jig is correct it isn't going to take them long to stamp a collar/cuff/etc out and then ramp to production.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.