New Mac Pro seem slow in CPU-intensive task.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Steven1621, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I have a new Mac Pro (standard 2.8 configuration with 3 X 250GB in software RAID0) at my cable station at college. I was expecting this thing to be a real screamer, but I find myself a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's still quite fast. But for CPU-intensive task in Final Cut Studio, I find it to be slower than it should be. For example, compressing a 6 GB DV file for an iPhone is taking 32 minutes. CPU usage is only around 30% per core. I've never been able to drive CPU usage above this level in any task (Handbrake, Final Cut rendering, etc.) I know that not all software is able to fully use all of the cores, but this doesn't make sense to me. Is this normal performance? Or could something wrong with the Mac Pro?

2. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

as far as HandBrake encoding goes, apparently stripping the copyright takes a lot of time... and i read here a few days ago that some dvd producers have different copyrights, e.g. Disney takes longer to rip than some others

3. milkybrainuk macrumors newbie

How much memory do you have in your machine??

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

That's puzzling, HB on my 2006 Mac Pro uses 320 percent of my processing power.

5. GotPro macrumors 6502

Is this something that could be sped up by utilizing the UNIX "nice" or "renice" command via Terminal???

See below:

Unix Tool for Increasing CPU LOAD

6. ale500 macrumors regular

if the task is using only 30% of one processor or all, is probably IO-bound, look for how much is in wait.
    If you have enough memory, you could make a virtual RAM disk, that way you will probably be not IO-bound anymore :).
    Try POVRay, it does not need much disk, and will use 100 % of any CPU you have, that will show you the power within.

But, if you do not like your MP, I'm willing to accept it as a gift :)

Have fun

7. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

I've noticed Handbrake to use over 600% processor power sometimes. Encoding a lot of stuff without de-interlacing runs at over 100 fps.

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Yeah, I saw a post by another guy saying on his 8-core machine he was getting 600 percent usage. I only have four cores, however. :)

9. Steven1621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

Hmm, I still have plenty of RAM free, so that isn't the issue. I suspect it might have something to do with the hard drives, but I don't have the faintest idea why. Could be be the software RAID? The slowness persist even when it is done from the boot drive that came with the computer, so that seems unlikely.