New Mac Pro shuts down during sleep

Pagemakers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
My Pro 2013 sometimes shuts down during sleep. Nothing will wake the machine and it it not accessible by another other computer on the network. It has to be manually re-started using the button on the back of the computer. There are no error messages on re-start.

I have reset the SMC and PRAM but it makes no difference.

Any ideas?

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
I am having the same issue and nothing I have tried has worked. I guess I will have to shut it down at night until there is a fix. So frustrating :eek:

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Perhaps a bug in the deepsleep mode?

Maybe try:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0

My cMP doesn't support this i believe, so can't test for you. But I believe I disabled in my imac at one point because it took too long to restart...

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
omvs before I try this, what are your commands doing and how can I set them back to their defaults states?
They're modifying the power management settings - there is a lot more settings than are exposed than in the system preferences.

You should be able to get current settings with something like:
pmset -a -g

and for some documentation
man pmset

All said, I'm not that much an expert using pmset, and if you're not comfortable using terminal commands might not be the right solution. The $ version of Trim Enabler exposed the deep sleep (hibernate) in a gui - not sure of what other tools can modify autopoweroff, which might be what you really need.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
We have 2 Mac Pros here. I ran the pmset -a -g command and below are the results from both Macs. The 2nd one is the one with the problem.

Paul Mac Pro:~ Paul$ pmset -a -g
Active Profiles:
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
standby 1
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp 1
autorestart 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
darkwakes 1
gpuswitch 2
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 1
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 1
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 25
standbydelay 10800

Paresh Mac Pro:~ Paresh$ pmset -a -g
Active Profiles:
AC Power 2*
Currently in use:
standby 1
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp 1
autorestart 0
gpuswitch 2
darkwakes 1
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 1 (sleep prevented by AddressBookSour)
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 1
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 10
standbydelay 10800

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
interesting that the AC power profile gives different numbers. My work machine reports 2 as well like your 'bad' machine, but i'm not sure what to make of that... Also interesting that something is preventing sleep, but again.. ??

I'd still be tempted to set the autopoweroff to 0. You might have a different underlying problem, but that might fix the symptom...
pmset -a autopoweroff 0

Pagemakers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
OK I’ll give it a try. I guess I can always set pmset -a autopoweroff 1 if it fails?

----------

This was the result. autopoweroff is now showing 0

Paresh Mac Pro:~ Paresh$ sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0
Password:
Warning: Idle sleep timings for "AC Power" may not behave as expected.
- Display sleep should have a lower timeout than system sleep.

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
OK I’ll give it a try. I guess I can always set pmset -a autopoweroff 1 if it fails?
Technically the -a flag is affecting all power profiles - if you want a lighter touch you might want -c (wall power) or -u (ups) - maybe your two machines are on different profiles because one knows a UPS is connected? The other profile -b (battery) i think is for when the UPS is supplying current rather than wall.

Actually, this is interesting - my cMP at home shows this, suggesting that -1 might be when the computer things its running off the battery...? My work machine with no ups just shows AC Power 2*

Is it possible you swapped the settings for your two machines? If the machine things its running off the ups battery, that might explain why its shutting down...

(home cMP off UPS)
dhdesktophome:~ dhartman$ pmset -a -g
Active Profiles:
UPS Power -1
AC Power 2*
Currently in use:
hibernatemode 0
womp 1
networkoversleep 0
sleep 10 (sleep prevented by screensharingd)
Sleep On Power Button 1
ttyskeepawake 1
autorestart 0
disksleep 10
displaysleep 10

Work imac w/o UPS
Dans-iMac:~ dhartman$ pmset -a -g
Active Profiles:
AC Power 2*
Currently in use:
hibernatemode 0
halfdim 1
womp 1
networkoversleep 0
sleep 10 (sleep prevented by iTunes, coreaudiod)
Sleep On Power Button 1
ttyskeepawake 1
autorestart 0
disksleep 10
displaysleep 10

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Paresh Mac Pro:~ Paresh$ sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0
Password:
Warning: Idle sleep timings for "AC Power" may not behave as expected.
- Display sleep should have a lower timeout than system sleep.
I can't make out why either of those warnings came up given the settings you showed - maybe someone else has a better idea.

This article was a bit interesting too, though I can't tell if they're talking about the normal light sleep or the hibernate mode - there's too many different terms floating around:

http://osxdaily.com/2013/01/21/mac-slow-wake-from-sleep-fix/

If you don't want the machine to got to sleep at all that is fairly easy to prevent, but thats a big hammer and would add to power usage. I would imagine the machine uses very low power in the normal sleep, and you just want to kill the hibernate/autopoweroff/whatever.

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Power Supply Issue

My 5.1 was doing the same thing and over time progressed to the point where I would have to press the power button dozens of times before it would start. It ended up being a power supply issue.

After 3 trips to the Mac Store I asked to speak to the manager who immediately said "it's the power supply" and got it fixed. I had videos of my attempts to start the machine and yet the "geniuses" I spoke with couldn't figure it out.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Hmmmm!

This starts every time as soon as I press the power button.

My issue is that on 30% of occasions, when it sleeps it actually turns off (or so it would seem because I have to press the power button to re-start it).

Jayson A

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Power Supply Issue

My 5.1 was doing the same thing and over time progressed to the point where I would have to press the power button dozens of times before it would start. It ended up being a power supply issue.

After 3 trips to the Mac Store I asked to speak to the manager who immediately said "it's the power supply" and got it fixed. I had videos of my attempts to start the machine and yet the "geniuses" I spoke with couldn't figure it out.
I might be having the same issue. Sometimes my Mac Pro will just shut off while it’s sleeping. It’s happening under Windows 10 by the way. Maybe I need to replace the power supply.