New Mac Pro, SSD,HDD, and blu-ray

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by corbuso, Jul 30, 2010.

1. corbuso macrumors newbie

My old MBP G5 is dying and is struggling with handling my large pictures (25Mo RAW files).
    The new Mac Pro has finally been announced and I will proceed asap with the purchase of the new Mac Pro hexacore.
    I want to purchase a SSD drive for booting and read positive comments about the OCZ drives. The Colossus LT is slightly cheaper than the Colossus, but should work fine in the Mac Pro without any adapter?

For storing and working with my images, I am looking for an internal HDD. Should the Velociraptor work fine with it? Any suggestion for an alternative HDD of at least 600 go?

Last question, prices of Blu-ray discs are finally going down? Any recommendations for an internal Burner?
    So far, the external burners are considerably more expensive than the internal ones.
    Thank you in advance for your comments

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wouldn't buy Colossus, they are quite pricey when I last checked. I would recommend Intel or OWC, they are VERY fast. You likely won't need much space, less than 100GB should be fine (just use it from OS X and apps).

VelociRaptor would likely be good but it's not much faster than normal 7200rpm drives. It has faster random reads and writes but sequential speed ain't much better. See some benchmarks here. I would go with two 7200rpm drives and put them in RAID 0, that gives you more space and speed for same money.

3. corbuso thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, but I did some check and the Colossus is the same price as the intel and even slightly cheaper than the OWC (at least here). I wanted to go for a 128GB but I don't know what is the difference between the "Colossus" and the "Colossus LT". I guess it is the same,but not sure..

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

LT has garbage collection and slightly faster random read&write so if they cost the same, get it.

5. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Do the SandForce OWC drives also have garbage collection? Or do they keep their speed over time via overprovisioning?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, I think all SandForces have "built-in" TRIM. Quote from OWC:

I don't know is it garbage collection or what but SandForce drives seem to be the best ones available atm

7. strausd macrumors 68030

I would suggest the OWC SSDs too, I have never heard a negative thing about them. And since they have the Sandforce controller, they have a sort of built in TRIM. Also, they are faster than the Intel x25-m.

8. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

OWC is where I'll be getting my SSDs next month for my Mac Pro. Can't wait.

9. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

OWC seem to be the most popular around here for SSDs. They've built up a great reputation for their products and services.

10. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I wonder when the OWC SSDs will ship with the new SandForce SF-1232 controller. Or have these SSDs had this controller for the past few months and the linked article is just restating old news?