Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Two W5000s or W7000s working in Crossfire would be better than the 680mx. In the dual Radeon 7850/7870 range.

But we don't know if they really will work as Crossfire in OS X and then it's all about the particular game and drivers. The 680 MX is not far off a single W5000 in pure "oomph" and some games are optimised to run better on Nvidia hardware. Firepro drivers in Windows are not optimised for gaming, but I don't know what the situation is/will be like in OS X.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
For print production and pre-press there's no reason for using a Mac Pro anymore, retouchers aside. None of the non-video Adobe CS apps are significantly multithreaded, and most of them are memory-bound, not CPU-bound. One of the new iMacs will be faster day-to-day than a Mac Pro.

You are probably right but here in Australia all the print shops ive worked at still use Mac pros. I got my boss to install SSD's in our Mac Pros so they perform well compared to my new personal 27" fully spec'd iMac.

ElderBrE

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
I am smoking the good facts and chasing the magic dragon with pragmatism. Considering what we are likely to end up with in the base Mac Pro, then my statement is correct. Unless the base price has been bumped up heavily. We can only speculate until we see all of the configurations.

You do know what card is in the iMac right? As good as it is, it's a mobile card. I think you may have it confused with the 680GTX or something.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
We all seem to be forgetting that Apple has left off MANY details.

"Up to" means "Available but most won't order because it's too damn pricey"

No reason whatsoever to believe there won't be some Nvidia cards between "entry level cheapie" and "SO expensive only the IRS will order them"

In fact, a dear friend of mine has some info that he will hopefully share soon regarding this.

Consider that a FirePro 9000 is just a Radeon 7970 with a Tux and a GTX680 is VERY much like some other Nvidia cards...drivers already written....people whining about CUDA......

Assemble the dots.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
But we don't know if they really will work as Crossfire in OS X and then it's all about the particular game and drivers. The 680 MX is not far off a single W5000 in pure "oomph" and some games are optimised to run better on Nvidia hardware. Firepro drivers in Windows are not optimised for gaming, but I don't know what the situation is/will be like in OS X.

Yes of course, but the potential is there. I think the way things have been worded in regard to 3x4K displays means these will be crossfired and use eyefinity, but what that actually means across all applications, especially Mac gaming, will remain to be seen.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
You do know what card is in the iMac right? As good as it is, it's a mobile card. I think you may have it confused with the 680GTX or something.

Why would I confuse the GTX 680 with a GTX 680MX? That would just be silly.

----------

Yes of course, but the potential is there. I think the way things have been worded in regard to 3x4K displays means these will be crossfired and use eyefinity, but what that actually means across all applications, especially Mac gaming, will remain to be seen.

Indeed. It would be nice if they could release all of the configuration info now, or at least give us a clue about the base configuration, but this is Apple we're talking about.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
You are probably right but here in Australia all the print shops ive worked at still use Mac pros. I got my boss to install SSD's in our Mac Pros so they perform well compared to my new personal 27" fully spec'd iMac.

Is there a list somewhere that lists which applications will even benefit from multithread processors? Are we talking about Premiere, After Effects and some other 3D programs that will only see a gain?

Thanks.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
For a single TB chip, and particularly on a consumer board (i.e. 20 lane PCIe controller based CPU), absolutely.

But that's not the case in this instance. 3x TB chips poses more of a challenge.

Not particularly. It is the basically the same task done 3 times. That may need to dilute one of the x4 bundles into two x4's isn't that big of an increment.

But here's the rub; the newer controller (DSL4510) does rely on gen 3 to obtain it's additional throughput (doubling the PCIe band per lane is how they were able to double TB's throughput). So placing the next gen TB chips on gen 2 lanes would in fact be a problem (still work, but would be stuck to 10Gbs, as the current crop are).

None of that appears to be particularly accurate at all.

1. The dSL4510 is Thunderbolt 1.0. No change.
2. Sincethere is no change it has exactly the same PCI-e v2.0 links.

"... These two are replacements for Intel's current DSL3510 and DSL3310, with 4/2 and 2/1 (channels/ports) respectively. There are no performance changes other than official support for DisplayPort 1.2 (and thus 4K displays) ... "

" ... There's still a PCIe gen 2 x4 interface on the other end of these controllers ... "
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6885/...e-20gbps-falcon-ridge-tb-controller-announced

Intel has said a long while back that Thunderbolt v2.0 wasn't coming until about 2014. It is middle of 2013 which means anything new is likely still TB v.10.

Apple is claming the the Mac Pro will get Thunderbolt v2.0 chips. Those aren't on the market yet. There is an outside chance that PCI-e v3.0 could be added but none of the bandwidth improvements apply.

Outside of the Display Port 1.2 input streams changes in these interium TB chips and followed up on with Falcon Ridge (TB v2.0 ) the changes are more so in shuffling Thunderbolt's backbone bandwidth not the on/off ramp network edge connections.

" ... Named “Thunderbolt™ 2”, this next generation of the technology enables 4K video file transfer and display simultaneously – that’s a lot of eye-popping video and data capability. It is achieved by combining the two previously independent 10Gbs channels into one 20Gbs bi-directional channel that supports data and/or display. ..."
http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2...ndwidth-enabling-4k-video-transfer-display-2/

Intel reshuffled the same aggregate network bandwidth that was already there. Just rearrange the deck chairs. Not tweaking the PCI-e edge. That would be a horrible network upgrade to not increase overall bandwidth at all but increase the edges substantially. That is exactly backwards of the fat tree network (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_tree) they should be trying to setup where the backbone is like 2x (or at least greater than ) the edges.

x1 to the cannonical controllers "tree leave nodes"
x4 from host to TB network "next highest "
> x4 for node-to-node TB traffic " highest "

Cranking up the bottom and leaving the top the same is only going to lead to network congestion and craptasic QoS on data delivery.

The DSL4510 is a stopap to all folks to put the TB socket into DP v1.2mode so it can take over and run 4K video

TB v2.0 is somewhat of a kludge so that don't have to drop back to DP v1.2 mod to get 4K video. They do that by "robbing Peter to pay Paul" and merge the two separate channels into one and then doling out more bandwidth to the 4K video traffic. It is obvious which has priority here. It isn't PCI-e data traffic.

If there is no 4K traffic (or any video) then will get better network QoS, but there is no indication at all that host side throughput is going to go up.

Thus leaving the 8x gen 3 lanes as the only logical candidate for this particular instanc

In that alternative world sure, but in this one it has got problems.

MSRP /= to BOM costs. As the old saying goes, "buy low, sell high".

Apple has pretty mastered this. The problem they have in the > $2000 zone though is that there are lots of "pretty good" computing alternatives under that price point that are "good enough" for increasingly largely number of people.

There is a point at which you can be too much of a Scrooge McDuck. Too much of cost-cutter and fewer folks will by the high end goods . The Mac Pro needs to very clearly provide more perceived value to justify the higher price. Apple can blowing smoke up folks butt by saying the new Mac Pro is super magically delicious, revolutionary and cures world hunger but after a while that Joe Isuzu stuff really don't work so well. They actually have to add something with value to the system.

The system is smaller. Probably easier to make after tool-up for the new set of parts. Certiainly easier and cheaper to ship and inventory. Apple can take those savings and put higher value added parts into the system. The margins stay exactly the same, ( i.e., they tread water.)

Dual GPUs ... well guess what the other CPU is gone in half the line up. Trading X for Y and the mark-up is the same leads to same margins. The lowest end of the line up had even bigger margins. Goosing the entry box's margins into the stratosphere certainly did NOT help the overall product. In fact, it appears to have almost gotten the whole product category cancelled.

Given the throughput claims, this isn't likely (iirc claim 1.2GB/s for the SSD), which means more than a single gen 3 PCIe lane. So I suspect it's more likely connected to 4x gen 2 lanes via the I/O Hub.

If gen 2 can stick on same switch at TB controller. Not a big deal.

Foxconn has a plant in operation in Santa Clara, CA.

None of that is in Texas ( an old Dell plant) where reported the new USA Apple line up is to be made. So still nothing here screaming Foxconn.
Honestly Apple needs other working relationships than just Foxconn. Jobs was good at some things but sometimes his OCD got in the way. Einstein had quote. "Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Having multiple vendor relationships is necessarily for a global mutlinational company. Trying to feed everything to exactly one supplier is not a good idea long term.

Yes, but I'm under the impression it still uses one of the gen 2 PCIe lanes to transfer that data.

I'll dig a bit later, as I am curious.

Double the PCIe band is what allowed them to double the TB throughput.

Doubling the the "on ramp" isn't going to change the freeway speedlimit. Those actually should be operating at two different speeds. Chaning the native thunderbolt ( not native PCI-e ) data throughput speeds will change Thunderbolt bandwidth. The transported protocols data operate their own, slower speed and bandwidth.

Can't shove 20Gbs over the same gen 2 lanes.

If Transporting 4K video there isn't 20Gb/s available for PCI-e data traffic.
If not transporting 4K video 20Gb/s improves QoS.

So I don't see it as so much as a reshuffle,

that is basically what Intel is saying above. Bonding two separate channels into one channel is reshuffling the exact same deck.

but rather just taking advantage of the gen 3 specifications they'd already been working on (doubled bandwidth per lane).

The PCI-e v3 protocol are completely oblivious to what is happening on the Thunderbolt network. Changing them isn't going to make TB backbone network faster. In fact the drama for the TB network just increase because not has to do more isochronous traffic management than before when the traffic was more hard segmented.

True, but they intentionally went with this for the 4K video capability (1x per TB chip). And if 3 monitors are being used along with another TB device, particularly one that pushes quite a bit of data itself such as high speed storage, users will likely notice some choking going on.

Right which what it would dubious to choke faster by putting a faster "on ramp" for the PCI-e data ( i.e., a v3 ramp.)

Until Intel can actually move the aggregate bandwidth forward, the PCI-e data "on/off ramp" is likely going to be stuck at v2.0. Couple that it will be hard for x1 v2 controllers to go to 0.5 v3 controllers.... ( they don't need any more speed) and the TB will also more inclined to stay at v2.0

The notion that Thunderbolt was primarily creating for ultra super duper DAS and/r utltra Gamer eGPU is just way disconnected from the reality.
Apple's Thunderbolt docking station/display. That's what Thunderbolt is aimed at.

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
We all seem to be forgetting that Apple has left off MANY details.

"Up to" means "Available but most won't order because it's too damn pricey"

No reason whatsoever to believe there won't be some Nvidia cards between "entry level cheapie" and "SO expensive only the IRS will order them"

In fact, a dear friend of mine has some info that he will hopefully share soon regarding this.

Consider that a FirePro 9000 is just a Radeon 7970 with a Tux and a GTX680 is VERY much like some other Nvidia cards...drivers already written....people whining about CUDA......

Assemble the dots.

Forgive me if I'm not super thrilled with "Wait and hope Apple fills in the blanks".

Javik

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Australia
Thoughts on the ommision of Digitial Audio Out?

I work semi-professionally on Logic and knew that old Mac Pro's and current Apple TV's had them. Not really sure of what their use was apart from connecting out to high end sound systems.

Is the ommision a big deal to anybody? Thoughts? I always thought their inclusion was a Steve Jobs descicion coming from the fact that he thought of himself as a sort of audiophile..

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Not particularly. It is the basically the same task done 3 times. That may need to dilute one of the x4 bundles into two x4's isn't that big of an increment.

None of that appears to be particularly accurate at all.

1. The dSL4510 is Thunderbolt 1.0. No change.
2. Sincethere is no change it has exactly the same PCI-e v2.0 links.

"... These two are replacements for Intel's current DSL3510 and DSL3310, with 4/2 and 2/1 (channels/ports) respectively. There are no performance changes other than official support for DisplayPort 1.2 (and thus 4K displays) ... "

" ... There's still a PCIe gen 2 x4 interface on the other end of these controllers ... "
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6885/...e-20gbps-falcon-ridge-tb-controller-announced

Intel has said a long while back that Thunderbolt v2.0 wasn't coming until about 2014. It is middle of 2013 which means anything new is likely still TB v.10.

Apple is claming the the Mac Pro will get Thunderbolt v2.0 chips. Those aren't on the market yet. There is an outside chance that PCI-e v3.0 could be added but none of the bandwidth improvements apply.

Outside of the Display Port 1.2 input streams changes in these interium TB chips and followed up on with Falcon Ridge (TB v2.0 ) the changes are more so in shuffling Thunderbolt's backbone bandwidth not the on/off ramp network edge connections.

" ... Named “Thunderbolt™ 2”, this next generation of the technology enables 4K video file transfer and display simultaneously – that’s a lot of eye-popping video and data capability. It is achieved by combining the two previously independent 10Gbs channels into one 20Gbs bi-directional channel that supports data and/or display. ..."
http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2...ndwidth-enabling-4k-video-transfer-display-2/

Intel reshuffled the same aggregate network bandwidth that was already there. Just rearrange the deck chairs. Not tweaking the PCI-e edge. That would be a horrible network upgrade to not increase overall bandwidth at all but increase the edges substantially. That is exactly backwards of the fat tree network (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_tree) they should be trying to setup where the backbone is like 2x (or at least greater than ) the edges.

x1 to the cannonical controllers "tree leave nodes"
x4 from host to TB network "next highest "
> x4 for node-to-node TB traffic " highest "

Cranking up the bottom and leaving the top the same is only going to lead to network congestion and craptasic QoS on data delivery.

The DSL4510 is a stopap to all folks to put the TB socket into DP v1.2mode so it can take over and run 4K video

TB v2.0 is somewhat of a kludge so that don't have to drop back to DP v1.2 mod to get 4K video. They do that by "robbing Peter to pay Paul" and merge the two separate channels into one and then doling out more bandwidth to the 4K video traffic. It is obvious which has priority here. It isn't PCI-e data traffic.

If there is no 4K traffic (or any video) then will get better network QoS, but there is no indication at all that host side throughput is going to go up.

In that alternative world sure, but in this one it has got problems.

Apple has pretty mastered this. The problem they have in the > $2000 zone though is that there are lots of "pretty good" computing alternatives under that price point that are "good enough" for increasingly largely number of people.

There is a point at which you can be too much of a Scrooge McDuck. Too much of cost-cutter and fewer folks will by the high end goods . The Mac Pro needs to very clearly provide more perceived value to justify the higher price. Apple can blowing smoke up folks butt by saying the new Mac Pro is super magically delicious, revolutionary and cures world hunger but after a while that Joe Isuzu stuff really don't work so well. They actually have to add something with value to the system.

The system is smaller. Probably easier to make after tool-up for the new set of parts. Certiainly easier and cheaper to ship and inventory. Apple can take those savings and put higher value added parts into the system. The margins stay exactly the same, ( i.e., they tread water.)

Dual GPUs ... well guess what the other CPU is gone in half the line up. Trading X for Y and the mark-up is the same leads to same margins. The lowest end of the line up had even bigger margins. Goosing the entry box's margins into the stratosphere certainly did NOT help the overall product. In fact, it appears to have almost gotten the whole product category cancelled.

If gen 2 can stick on same switch at TB controller. Not a big deal.

None of that is in Texas ( an old Dell plant) where reported the new USA Apple line up is to be made. So still nothing here screaming Foxconn.
Honestly Apple needs other working relationships than just Foxconn. Jobs was good at some things but sometimes his OCD got in the way. Einstein had quote. "Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Having multiple vendor relationships is necessarily for a global mutlinational company. Trying to feed everything to exactly one supplier is not a good idea long term.

Yes, but I'm under the impression it still uses one of the gen 2 PCIe lanes to transfer that data.

I'll dig a bit later, as I am curious.

Doubling the the "on ramp" isn't going to change the freeway speedlimit. Those actually should be operating at two different speeds. Chaning the native thunderbolt ( not native PCI-e ) data throughput speeds will change Thunderbolt bandwidth. The transported protocols data operate their own, slower speed and bandwidth.

If Transporting 4K video there isn't 20Gb/s available for PCI-e data traffic.
If not transporting 4K video 20Gb/s improves QoS.

that is basically what Intel is saying above. Bonding two separate channels into one channel is reshuffling the exact same deck.

The PCI-e v3 protocol are completely oblivious to what is happening on the Thunderbolt network. Changing them isn't going to make TB backbone network faster. In fact the drama for the TB network just increase because not has to do more isochronous traffic management than before when the traffic was more hard segmented.

Right which what it would dubious to choke faster by putting a faster "on ramp" for the PCI-e data ( i.e., a v3 ramp.)

Until Intel can actually move the aggregate bandwidth forward, the PCI-e data "on/off ramp" is likely going to be stuck at v2.0. Couple that it will be hard for x1 v2 controllers to go to 0.5 v3 controllers.... ( they don't need any more speed) and the TB will also more inclined to stay at v2.0

The notion that Thunderbolt was primarily creating for ultra super duper DAS and/r utltra Gamer eGPU is just way disconnected from the reality.
Apple's Thunderbolt docking station/display. That's what Thunderbolt is aimed at.

You are exactly the person that I and many others hate. You are a person that is never happy. A person that whines like a baby not getting the latest and greatest. A person that basically is a spoiled brat. Leading edge means nothing if you can't use it. And the whining about which version, geez, get over it. If I want leading edge, I'll buy a high-end gaming or work station from the Dark-side. But that does not equal productivity.

I like it the design is awesome. The hardware IMO is fine for me. I just hope the workmanship is good considering it is made in the USA. If it is built in a non-union shop than maybe it might be good. If it built by union thugs, I won't buy it. That is like buying a Chevy built in Youngstown, Ohio.

As for the design, it is a "10." No other computer manufacturer can even come close to this. I can't wait to purchase one.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Indeed. It would be nice if they could release all of the configuration info now, or at least give us a clue about the base configuration, but this is Apple we're talking about.

In all the discussion here, there's one question, which few have asked.

We all know apple prefers to introduce hardware, which is ready to ship - the last 27" iMac being one example of what may happen if the HW is not ready to ship.

This "we'll give you a sneak peek" - is highly suspicious, and the dearth of details opens up to many interpretations:
Firstly, why the sneak peek? Was apple really worrying, that Pro users were about to abandon the platform. Will this address that?
Secondly, I remember, that when M$ introduced surface many tech pundits as well as many forum members here were asking the highly relevant question "..., but what about price, specs and specs/price?" By revealing the design, as well as some vague promises (which can be seen as an indication of the BEST-setup in the initial launch), but without saying a word about the price, Apple has opened itself up to a lot of criticism and rumormongering. Now usually Apple may consider rumors as a friend of sorts, but this is a different situation. IF only Phil had said "(And although we have not yet decided on the detailed specs) we guarantee that the processing power offered in this setup will be at least N % cheaper than in the latest revision of the old mac pro..."

Why no details? I mean, every tach savvy listener/reader can figure out exactly which 12 core Xeon this will be, and can start reading up on the details, but: What kinds of PCIe SSD speeds and capacities are we talking about? How much RAM can you install? Will there be single/dual CPU options? Will there be single/dual GPU options? Is apple talking with OEM's about accessories? What will the price points be? Will the base setup's price start with a 1 or a 2? Will it reach a geekbench in the excess of 25k? Does this machine finally crack the 6-second barrier in the retouchartists Photoshop benchmark?
Does the machine actually exist or were the pixar types elegizing based on the spec sheet?

So what exactly is the message here?
- "We're serious about our Pro users, and we don't want to keep you in limbo, so instead we're showing what we're planning and simultaneously show our commitment" (This was how I interpreted it)
- "We have this idea, and we know it's far off base, so we want to present the idea and gauge your reactions"
- "We have this chassis, but there's still months to launch, so if you start telling us what you want it filled with and what you find lacking, we'll start discussing with our long-time OEM's"
- "We really think the PC is dead, so instead we're making PC's which don't look like PC's"
- "We have this idea, but we don't really yet know how to pull it off. But hey, we're at Apple, so we're going to figure it out eventually. And our share price needs a boost (which is why we're telling you now)."
- <add your own explanation>

RGDS,

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
You are exactly the person that I and many others hate. You are a person that is never happy. A person that whines like a baby not getting the latest and greatest. A person that basically is a spoiled brat. Leading edge means nothing if you can't use it. And the whining about which version, geez, get over it. If I want leading edge, I'll buy a high-end gaming or work station from the Dark-side. But that does not equal productivity.

I like it the design is awesome. The hardware IMO is fine for me. I just hope the workmanship is good considering it is made in the USA. If it is built in a non-union shop than maybe it might be good. If it built by union thugs, I won't buy it. That is like buying a Chevy built in Youngstown, Ohio.

As for the design, it is a "10." No other computer manufacturer can even come close to this. I can't wait to purchase one.

LOL..you just call deconstruct a whiner

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Is the ommision a big deal to anybody?

It probably isn't omitted. There is digital audio. There is just not an standard optical digital output socket. Most of the entire Mac line up has transition to the same digital audio through the headphone jack that the iOS devices use.

There other alternative is that there is an HDMI port. Unless it is inhibited in some why that should be able to send a 5.1 signal (or just play stereo) to any AV receiver that processes HDMI output. In short, it isn't just purely video that goes out over HDMI.

Thoughts?

The specific optical audio port is bit like the omission of the optical drive. It is probably on Apple's obsolete list. It doesn't mean can't get digital out. It is an indication that in the future most folks aren't going to want to ( or perfer that port). Only legacy equipment is the primary requirement for it.

I always thought their inclusion was a Steve Jobs descicion coming from the fact that he thought of himself as a sort of audiophile..

I doubt Jobs was keeping a large CD collection. This is the same boat. All the Intel chipsets ( including this workstation/server one) have HD audio built in. The issue is what physical connectors run out.

Is this "studio quality" analog audio coming out? No. But the digital signal can be shipped out to external digitial-to-analog converter that does have studio quality conversion characteristics.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
In all the discussion here, there's one question, which few have asked.

This "we'll give you a sneak peek" - is highly suspicious, and the dearth of details opens up to many interpretations:
Firstly, why the sneak peek? Was apple really worrying, that Pro users were about to abandon the platform. Will this address that?

It is a relatively straightforward message that isn't complicated. The Mac Pro in its now old format is cancelled. This is to a large extent just like the cancellation of the XServe in that Apple gave users who needed one (and had been in a longer purchase order process to get one) several months to buy before they go away.

The primary difference here is that Apple isn't totally pulling out of this market and will continue to use the name.

Another similar thing is where Apple cancelled the MacBook in July but keep it on just in the educational store. Again there was a signifcant number of organizations that had lined up to buy MacBook and changing relatively shortly before the school year started would be a problem.

If need a current Mac Pro like container for your work, then need to evaluate if adding some 3rd party GPU cards will be good enough. It isn't for everybody but for folks that need a 1-2 of continuity before do a major platform change it can be an option.

Secondly, I remember, that when M$ introduced surface many tech pundits as well as many forum members here were asking the highly relevant question "..., but what about price, specs and specs/price?"..... IF only Phil had said "(And although we have not yet decided on the detailed specs) we guarantee that the processing power offered in this setup will be at least N % cheaper than in the latest revision of the old mac pro..."

Apple is highly unlikely to position this new box to kill off iMac sales. So if primarily looking for significant percentage points cheaper, you are probably going to be disappointed.

Going to a default of two custom workstation GPUs is not a move toward "cheaper". That should be a clear indication that doesn't need alot of explanation from Apple.

Why no details?

How is it a sneak peek if they release all the details. It is what they overtly said it is.

I mean, every tach savvy listener/reader can figure out exactly which 12 core Xeon this will be,

Right so they did give more information for those who are informed.

but: What kinds of PCIe SSD speeds and capacities are we talking about?

You mean besides the speeds posted on their website? [Go to the storage section on new Mac Pro and see the "1250MB/s" posted on page.

How much RAM can you install?

You did say that you can figure out which Xeon this is right? The pictures obviously have 4 DIMM slots on them. This isn't classified "Top Secret" info.

Will there be single/dual CPU options?
Apple has posted a ton of interior pictures. No duals. If they where allowing duals would not they have used a "up to 20" or "up to 24" number? They said 12. Clearly it is indicative of one with a very small amount of additional knowledge.

Will there be single/dual GPU options?

What? They explicitly said two. (that number in part is driven by the number of Thunderbolt sockets which is a fixed number which highly likely means the number of GPUs is also fixed. )

Is apple talking with OEM's about accessories?

Why would not this be a normal Macintosh product entry?

What will the price points be?

Find the definition of "sneak peek".

Will the base setup's price start with a 1 or a 2?

apple is highly unlikely to turn this sneak peak into a game show.

Will it reach a geekbench in the excess of 25k?

When has Apple ever quoted geekbench scores?

[ Will the covert leak PR team or some rogue contractor/3rd party submit geekbench scores from a prototype. It has happened before, but not officially]

Does this machine finally crack the 6-second barrier in the retouchartists Photoshop benchmark?

Really depends more so on the software.

Does the machine actually exist or were the pixar types elegizing based on the spec sheet?

ROTFLMAO. They put real hardware with PCB boards exposed on display and on the web page. That's vaporware?

Again the reference to the Xeon E5 v2 up above is indicative that you are at least somewhat aware that this unit uses unreleased components. The people that can use them are under NDA, but there are more than a few folks using Xeon E5s several months before they are released. Validation in completed pre-release systems is part of the Xeon release process.

So what exactly is the message here?

The message. "This is where we are going. If you want to come along great. We expect you to be happy. If not have a nice day. If you need a current form factor Mac Pro, they are still for sell. When we release this, they won't be ( except in the refurb section.) "

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
SNIP
The message. "This is where we are going. If you want to come along great. We expect you to be happy. If not have a nice day. If you need a current form factor Mac Pro, they are still for sell. When we release this, they won't be ( except in the refurb section.) "

Well, thank you for a long-winded response, which quite entirely missed the point:
- Apple does not regularly do sneak peeks. So why exactly are they doing so now, when this sneak peek only opens up a pandora's chest of detailed questions?
- Does this bit of information actually help Apple's position in the Pro market?

And BTW, all the questions I quoted have been raised at least once on these forums, so they are not my questions, but an example of the questions Apple's sharing of information has raised.

The argument you make in the section quoted above, that the sneak peek offers those who want to hang on to the old form factor an opportunity to do so may be valuable, but has nevertheless has two flaws: One logical and one practical:
- the logic flaw is in assuming that Apple could not do what most companies would do when they introduce a revolutionary product, i.e. keep selling the old one as well, or reintroduce a somewhat crippled model (as Apple in fact did with the MDD2003).
- the practical flaw is that the oMP is not on sale in a significant part of the world (but I admit this is minor - in the end the EU is (as a market) not much larger than the US - as measured by GDP in 2011).

Kind regards,

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010

Attachments

• cigs.jpg
    cigs.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 490

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
It should be 'their', showing ownership. Please learn to speak before typing on blogs. ;)

JUST KIDDING BRO. LOL

Please learn the difference between speak and write. If he was speaking, then you would not have known the difference.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Well, thank you for a long-winded response, which quite entirely missed the point:
- Apple does not regularly do sneak peeks. So why exactly are they doing so now, when this sneak peek only opens up a pandora's chest of detailed questions?

Because Apple usually just skips the "If you still need on they are still for sale.". When Apple releases the new Mac Pro the old one is toast.
They are giving folks a break because this is a continuity break for a significant number of folks.

Apple has no expectations at all that 100% or even 90% of the old Mac Pro customers are coming with them. A decent sized percentage are going to part ways.

This is a nice way of parting ways. So this is not a normal release. It is part product cancellation and never before new product release. So not really going to follow normal Apple procedures. Invoking the Osborne effect last June wasn't normal Apple procedure either.

The exact same "I'm not paying attention" stuff happened with FCPX. Apple gave sneak peak. And then when FCPX shipped all kind of folks came out the woodwork yelping about how they couldn't buy the old FCP anymore. Well it is standard Apple practice to stop selling the old stuff when the new stuff is announced. Happens every single time. All the time. But these folks were "shocked" that Apple stopped the old one even though given a warning.

Now for software typically there used to be just a month or so before corporate and those who know the backdoor to the catalog could get the old ones for continuity means. ( all this App Store stuff probably means screwed if don't have local back-ups. )

- Does this bit of information actually help Apple's position in the Pro market?

This has far more to do with "enterprise"/"large organization"/"complex purchase order" customers and slow motion reaction cycles than anything to do with Apple or their marketing.

And BTW, all the questions I quoted have been raised at least once on these forums, so they are not my questions, but an example of the questions Apple's sharing of information has raised.

A bit flabbergasted you have never come across folks in the forum yelping about how Apple has to give them roadmaps and long lead times to make their purchasing decisions. They have appeared ad nauseam over the last 2 years.

Now when Apple actually does give a roadmaps folks are confusion as to what complication hidden agenda there is. Whatever. Apply Occams Razor. If Apple says it is a sneak peek it is probably just that a sneak peak.
A subset of the information.

One logical and one practical:
- the logic flaw is in assuming that Apple could not do what most companies would do when they introduce a revolutionary product, i.e. keep selling the old one as well, or reintroduce a somewhat crippled model (as Apple in fact did with the MDD2003).

That isn't particularly logical because Apple doesn't behave that way. Picking out a few special cases doesn't establish their usual pattern. The pattern is announce and kill the old one.

It isn't that they could not. It is that it is there standing policy to cancel stuff. The old one used to be a 'great product'. This new one is now a 'great product'. They can't both be great. The king is dead, long life the king.

- the practical flaw is that the oMP is not on sale in a significant part of the world (but I admit this is minor - in the end the EU is (as a market) not much larger than the US - as measured by GDP in 2011).

Yeah. If Apple was being nice they should have announced they were stopping Mac Pros in EU back in December and that it would just be the EU and nothing to do with the new Mac Pro.

It was very bad news. Corporations tend to want to bury bad news. Especialy when it is embarrasing because they screwed themselves with some huge mistake. If you go back and look Apple sandwiched that EU lockout right between two 'big good news" press releases the day before and the day after. (maybe record holiday sales and some new iOS/iTunes milestone ). It is irrational but they hoped it would disappear.

So yeah... alot of times Apple just jumps out the closet, yells surprise and screws people with long acquisition cycles. This waring is actually them being nice. I suspect more than a few folks in the EU told them they were unnecessarily screwing them over this Spring and explain the "proper" way of doing things to them in detail using colorful language. That probably helped motivate this "sneak peak".

Yoda Mann

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
Minion Pro

Been waiting all day to create this.

Attachments

• MinionProPost.jpg
    MinionProPost.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 143
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.