New mac pro..time capsule failure

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Chad H, May 12, 2009.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    I finally got my new mac pro up and running. Before I sold my iMac I completely backed it up on my 500GB time capsule. So, put the new HDD in the mac pro, erased it and tried to do a full time machine restore. Now, it completes but once its done it reboots and goes to the white screen with a apple logo and just sits there forever. So, I tried installing OSX and then transferring files over and when I try that with the time capsule it says their is no backups on that volume. I know their is. Ive used this same time capsule to do restores 3 other times. My main concern is my itunes music. Please someone tell me their is a way to get it off of the time capsule?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Try holding down the OPTION key as you click the Time Machine icon on the menu bar and see if it gives you the option to "Browse Other Time Machine Disks".

3. danny_w macrumors 601

I would never, ever trust my backups to Time Machine only. ALWAYS keep a backup of your important files (I keep a SuperDuper! clone of my entire disk - makes recovery a snap). Time Machine is NOT a backup! It is for recovering files that you accidentally deleted, and that's about it. Yes I use TM, but solely as an extra added defense.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Right, because unless you clone ever hour, your system isn't as backed-up as it is with Time Machine. ;)

5. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Well, I think time machine is good but the time capsule is crap. I have my itunes library copying right now. :)