New Mac Pro to use SATA drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by netdog, Jan 6, 2008.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I know that I can't order memory ahead of time, depending upon if there is an update and whether or not it uses 800MHz RAM if there is, but are we assured that the new MP will use SATA drives like the current model? I'd like to order a couple of drives now if advisable.

Raptors aside, any advice on drives and best sources in the UK?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

In the UK I guess the best (maybe) is eBuyer. They have always been reasonable for me.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I always use www.scan.co.uk

use www.storagereview.com if you want to find which drives are the best. If noise is important to you (think it is from your graphics card post) then samsung tend to offer the best acoustics, then western digital and finally seagate. I'd only buy from those manufacturers.

5. pprior macrumors 65816

Why in the world would you want to order drives before the computer is even available? Drive prices are always on a downward slope and although the next gen mac pro will certainly use SATA (what else is there?? - certainly not going back to SCSI and SAS is out too...), it just makes no sense to have cash tied up in drives that will serve no purpose. You can always order them at the same time you order the computer (aftermarket of course). Until then just let your cash earn interest and drive prices drop....

No new mac pro on the 15th anway.

6. kumamusic macrumors newbie

Does the new mac pro use SATA or SATA II? When I look at the base drive, it comes with just the SATA, not SATA II. ..

7. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

You can buy SATA II for it if you wish to but if you buy from apple, you can only get SATA.

8. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

SATA II (is says 3Gbps which is II speed) but it doesn't matter, they are interchangeable and hard drives can't even fully use all of the SATA bandwidth yet.