New Mac Pro updates soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Fallinangel, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Fallinangel macrumors regular

Fallinangel

The MacRumors buyer's guide recommends to wait, because the end of the product cycle is near!?
    Can someone predict when exactly Apple will release updates for their Mac Pros?
    It has previously taken them more than a year to update the machines? What makes the difference this time?

Thanks.

2. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Nobody knows, as evident by the responses in the 10 other threads about new MacPros. It could be tomorrow or it could be next year.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

But it won't be tomorrow, because that would be meaningless.

It can't happen before January 2009. It might not happen before June 2009. That's pretty darn close to an answer.

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

It cannot happen before Intel launches the Gainestown processor and Tylersburg chipset.

Why? Because Intel will be releasing no new 5400-series Xeon processors, which are the only ones that works in the current Mac Pro. So the X5482 is the top end CPU that will work in the current Mac Pro going forward.

Right now, Gainestown/Tylersburg are scheduled to ship in Q4 2008. However, Intel is unable to make many of them due to a lack of fabrication facilities so they are expected to be very expensive when they do ship. As such, Apple might hold-off on releasing them if they cannot be profitably installed in the Mac Pro at the current price points.

5. Nikonni macrumors newbie

I have been trying to find out the same sort of info im looking to buy one soon and i was afraid of them changing the whole design of the system like the G4 to G5 design. Then me ending up buying the older models which has happend to me more than once. :( Also im looking at getting a 30" Apple Display and again it says in the buying guide dont buy updates soon. Again i dont want to buy it now then have them bring a new one out 3 weeks later. But looking at last years Events Apple had them in August and September. I can wait that long to see and if there is no word on New Mac Pros or Displays i will just buy the Current ones

6. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

If you need one now, then but one now. If you don't need one now, then wait.

That's the best advice anyone can give you. If you can still live with your old system, then wait. If your old system is growing intolerable to use, then it's time to buy a new system regardless of the timeframe for updates.

7. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

+1 Nothing new until January. Unless Apple decides to toss us a few bones in the form of more than 2 or 3 outdated video cards for their professional computer. :mad: I miss Apple Computer Inc. :(

8. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I would imagine the current Mac Pro case design will be fine for Nehalem, though Apple might wish to go with something new to freshen the look (not that the current Mac Pro case is stale, IMO).

As to the ACD, I really think Apple is waiting for LED-backlit LCD panels to come down in price. Right now, using them would double the cost of the unit (so your 30" would push $4000). I don't expect volume production to lower prices until likely late into next year.

9. echoout macrumors 6502a

Seriously. If you need it, buy it. If not, wait until January or so. Do you do the kind of work that even would feel the benefits of the new processors?

-steven

10. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

I've come to the same conclusion about the ACDs. The ACDs are going LED. There's is just no other explanation for the the glacial pace of updates for them when every other vendors LCDs have been updated 2 or 3 times since the last ACD update. :rolleyes:

Since I've put my Mac Pro purchase off until the Nehalem systems come out, hopefully the LED ACDs will be available.

11. canadianpj macrumors 6502

I want a Mac Pro worse than you can possibly imagine. The point made, will I make use of the new processors? Unlikley. The only update I would enjoy would be an update to the video cards, but you can always update those after the fact if you really want to.

12. Roy macrumors 6502

Within very limited parameters.

13. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

Between January and June of 2009. This is known 100%.

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

January '09 would be nice. :)

But I think CWallace is right. Quantities may be too limited in the beginning for Gainestown to be profitable for Apple. Only one 45nm foundry currently in operation iirc. :(

We can always dream! :D

15. m1stake macrumors 68000

If the fact that there is only one 45nm fab pumping these chips out, why does Apple have no trouble getting the current 45nm chips without making customers pay an arm and a leg? I don't think that it would be a huge problem, even if it would divide the fab into making two lines of processors (Penryn AND Nehalem). I certainly hope they're not as hard to find as 3Ghz G5 processors :D

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

Due to multiple SKU's, a single production facility may have problems keeping up. :(

Worst case, we'll have to wait for one or both of the facilities they are currently building, due to open next year. (H1 & H2 IIRC). :eek:

I truly hope that this isn't the case. ;)
    Keeps the prices realistic, and we get our greedy hands on them that much sooner! :D

17. m1stake macrumors 68000

Also while I assumed the server line would be released in Q4, I have not actually read this anywhere, where did you (CWallace) read this?

With any luck it's true, I plan on buying a RevA unless there are some absolutely crippling problems with it. Apple care will watch over me :)

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

Which server part are you looking for?

Gainestown DP is due Q4 '08
    Beckton MP is due Q4 '09

There has been a few threads already, on which would be used in the next MacPro.
    From the information released, it will be the Gainestown.

Personally, I found a nice chart in wikipedia. Scroll down a bit.

19. m1stake macrumors 68000

I'm totally aware of the different server products, just didn't know where time tables had them to be released. Could you provide a source? The Wiki entry that you linked me to says Q3 2008 (The citation mentions that the numbers will be EXTREMELY limited AT lauch [in Q3]). That's in line with the Penryn road map from last year.

I swear, I'm in computer retail at the moment and I find out everything a year in advance through Google, and the Intel retail training ends up being a month late for product releases. What ever!

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

Not a problem. I was certain the wiki link listed Q4. :eek:
    I keep feeling the Release Date "two-step". Different articles, differing date information. ;)

See if this helps. (I tried to locate the most recent/relevant).

bit-tech
    arstechnica
    PC Watch (Japanese, translator works. Whew! :))
    TG Daily

Understandable. :D

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Beckton's Q2 2009 now. Think simultaneous Nehalem Mac Pro/Snow Leopard release at WWDC. WWDC 2009 also happens to be exactly 518 days from the Penryn update, which was 518 days from the original update.

How Illuminati is Apple to operate by an underlying numerical code for releases? :p

22. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

It is because Apple's purchase volumes are relatively low compared to, say, Dell or HP's. Apple sells a couple million Macs a quarter, and we don't know what their stock is - they may need to build all those machines every quarter or they may have a large stock they pull from.

Intel has made many statements on their Nehalem plans, including Intel's Developer Forum, the Singapore IT Show, and others.

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

Another date change? :eek: Nuts! :p

A Conspiracy Theorist are we? ;) :p

24. nanofrog macrumors G4

So far, I only found some prices on other Nehalem parts, or someone's estimates. Nothing reliable or concrete. :(

Has anybody seen a reliable price list for the Gainestown? Pleeeaaassseee? :D

25. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Nothing yet, expect similar GHz and prices to Harpertown.