New Mac Pro Wait for Hexacore, or iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iwhillenbrand, Mar 18, 2010.

1. iwhillenbrand macrumors newbie

My father is an illustrator who does a lot of power intensive work, with lots of Pages, Photoshop, creating movies with iMovie and iDVD, all while viewing the Internet and streaming iTunes. Right now he has a 2.0 ghz Power Mac dual-core, as well as the original iPhone. He is certainly getting the "iPhone 4G" and is in the market for a new desktop. He likes the Power Mac because he has several terabytes of storage in pictures, movies and music. However, the new iMac is faster, and comes with a free mouse and bt keyboard. He also wants iPad to give presentations with video using the VGA adapter. Is it better to wait for i7x extreme hexacore or go with iMac? Also, what screen is best 30" 24" apple display or usethe 27" iMac as a display w/ free magic mouse and keyboard? Will the ipad work for him as an ereader, Internet viewer and presentations. One final queue:what about mbp 17" w/24" apple display?

Thanks a lot!

2. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I'd say he should go with a Pro machine, although not necessarily with more than one processor. Basically, if hard drive storage is a big deal then Mac Pro is the most elegant solution, unless you want umpteen external hard drives taking up space somewhere. It also sounds like your Dad uses his Mac to quiet a high level, so if he were to go for the iMac, it would have to be the 27" model with the best CPU. If money is no object though, wait for the new Mac Pro's....Their release has been imminent for the last few months.

Can't help with iPad questions but if your Dad is into graphics in general, bigger screens are pretty good to have. 30" is very nice.