Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdiosVista

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Please help! Just bought today, brand new mac pro 8 core 2.8ghz. I get a weird click on both boot and start up or when I put the computer to sleep or wake it. It's a single click, imagine the sound of someone lightly flicking the side of an empty Pepsi can. It's not random, I can make it do the sound simply by unplugging or re-plugging the power cord in the back. Is this normal?! Would anyone mind unplugging their mac and seeing if you hear a similar sound please?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Please help! Just bought today, brand new mac pro 8 core 2.8ghz. I get a weird click on both boot and start up or when I put the computer to sleep or wake it. It's a single click, imagine the sound of someone lightly flicking the side of an empty Pepsi can. It's not random, I can make it do the sound simply by unplugging or re-plugging the power cord in the back. Is this normal?! Would anyone mind unplugging their mac and seeing if you hear a similar sound please?
Don't panic. :p The sound is from the relays in the PSU, and is normal. :)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Just to double check, are you saying it's normal to hear this noise even when booting/shut down and sleep/wake?
Yes, AFIAK. :)

From a previous thread, it seemed Apple had changed OEM suppliers for the PSU.

It would also make sense that the design is also different. The clicks are likely the switching on/off of voltage sources as they are needed or not. You hit the power switch/wake, it causes certain rails to go on, and off when shutting down/sleep.

This would be in order with your description of a single click during each event. If it's a rapid/repetitive clicking, that would be another story. :p

Hope this makes sense. :)

AdiosVista

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Yes, AFIAK. :)

From a previous thread, it seemed Apple had changed OEM suppliers for the PSU.

It would also make sense that the design is also different. The clicks are likely the switching on/off of voltage sources as they are needed or not. You hit the power switch/wake, it causes certain rails to go on, and off when shutting down/sleep.

This would be in order with your description of a single click during each event. If it's a rapid/repetitive clicking, that would be another story. :p

Hope this makes sense. :)

Makes perfect sense, thank you very much!

Mac&CheeseWBroc

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
Mac Pro Click on Wake

I've experienced the same thing: single click at the very moment I tap the space bar or mouse to wake up the computer.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
The sound is normal and really cool by the way. :)
The fans also make a "woosh" when turning off the machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.