New Mac Pro? When?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rantonetti, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Rantonetti macrumors newbie

Hi, does anyone have an idea when Apple will upgrade their mac pro series? I've an ageing G4, 2002 vintage, and want to get a Mac Pro, but I understand the Mac Pro series has been out for some while, and probably due an upgrade soon...

Any ideas when? I would buy the base model, but don't want to buy the base 2.0 GHz machine when it's likely to be superseded in the not too distant...

Thanks a lot.

Rantonetti

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

later 2007(?) two months (?) tomorrow (?). Nobody knows. By the of the year we'll see an upgrade buy then to get the longest time of non succeeding computers coming out. And maybe they will work out the memory bandwidth issues.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i don't imagine the Mac Pro will be updated until everything else has. if memory serves correctly, it was the last model to be updated. i think they'll update the minis, MacBooks, and MacBooks Pro at the same time (before the end of August), followed by the iMac and then the Mac Pro by the end of the year.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

They might get upgraded at WWDC '07, but I think that it will be later than that. :eek: :)

5. akadmon macrumors 68010

I hope they don't upgrade the MP for at least I couple of years, 'cause I'm enjoying riding this high oh so much! :p

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

For them not to be updated when Intel drops Xeon prices in July would mean that Apple are out of the running for those buying a workstation rather than buying a mac. Or rather Dell, HP and whoever else will have much better pricing and options than Apple, so much so that the Mac Pros would likely become a Joke.

7. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

8-core Macpros a joke? That will be sweet.:rolleyes:

8. G4DP macrumors 65816

Prices will look a bit to expensive.

As mentioned above, when Intel drops the prices, if Apple don't follow suit the prices for the Mac pro's will be a joke. Especially in the UK. Although they are no doubt a lovely system and the Dual-Quad Core would be wonderful, the pricing is to rediculous. Especially given the strength of the £Sterling at the minute.

I can't justify spending equal to $6905.99 on what should only cost $5024.00

V.A.T and everything else does not add $2,000 to the cost of a system.

Customers will start to look elsewhere, i don't want to get a Windoze/Linsux machine, I want a Mac, but "Good Old Stevo" is ripping us off a little to much.

9. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

Well a price drop and a update are different things.

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

In the past I would agree, but with the predicted intel prices making two quadcore processors cost around the same as the current prices on two dualcore it has other impacts. For Dell it'll be a case of repricing and adding the config options on their pages, for Apple with they way they deal with their product lines it has to surely mean an redesign/update to the line. I mean sure they could just drop the price but that doesn't seem very Apple like. The price drop is one of a few things that culminate around june/july that should see the Mac Pros get an upgrade. It's just the one definate thing with details we can use in the guesswork.

11. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

You think if Intel drops prices in this way that Apple will just keep selling the quad chips at the same price they are now? Why?

This also seems like bad logic to me. Why would you think Dell has such an advantage? Why does a new processor or price change require more work for Apple then Dell?

Apple has dropped the price on many products many times, especially if something has an early adoption surcharge like the quad-core xeons.

12. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I wouldn't call it an advantage, to me it all comes down to marketing, and Apple market the Mac Pro in a specific and different way to how Dell deal with their Precision range. My real point is that Apple will have to react to the pricing and with other components being revised around that time I find it more likely of a new range of Pros rather than price drops.

13. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

The highest CPU configuration for the Dell precision line is Quad Core Intel® Xeon® Processor X5355 2.66GHz, 2 X 4MB L2,1333. The current processor in the Macpro is still unreleased, I think, and is the X5365 at 3.0Ghz, 8MB L2, 1333. I'd say its Dell's (and everyone else's) turn to react.

14. Rantonetti thread starter macrumors newbie

THanks for all the replies. Very helpful. Hopefully we'll see a price drop/power upgrade sooner rather than later.

Rantonetti