New Mac Pro will not boot unless I hold down "C"

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by agrayphoto, Jun 17, 2008.

1. agrayphoto macrumors newbie

I have a new mac pro. On startup I must hold down the "C" key or all I get is an empty blue screen. Then it starts normally. I have 4 drives. One of the new drives is my startup drive with the system and all applications. The old stock drive is now my PS scratch disk. The other two drives are set up in RAID 1.

It's really just an annoyance. The machine works perfectly otherwise. I couldn't be happier. I'm just afraid it might turn into something worse. Any ideas?

2. macintosh tech macrumors member

I am assuming you have set the new drive as the startup disk in System Preferences?

3. agrayphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It could be that your Mac OS X partition is not Active so give this a try.

This comes from insanelymac.com for hackintosh builders but the principal also applies to Macs. Since the Active partition contains the bootloader if a partition without a bootloader is Active then the HD will basically say that no disc is available to the BIOS. Since firmware is more intelligent by holding down the option key I think that the firmware then polls each partition on every disc for a viable operating system.

You could probably also do this from Terminal inside OS X but why not just use the install DVD?

5. agrayphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks very much for the info. That's all very complicated for a dope like me. I'm going to have to think about it for a while.