New Mac Pro with blu ray

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by malfaris, Jul 27, 2009.

1. malfaris macrumors newbie

hi,
    I have the old G5 quad 2005, and want to upgrade however I am waiting for apple to support blu ray and include a blu ray drive. well there was no news about any support, however the new final cut studio has the support for blu ray format especially in compressor and final cut pro so I thought maybe its good news and the new Mac pro will be supporting the blu ray. I dont know if you heard anything about that, thanks.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

It doesn't seem very promising but with blu-Ray winning the format battle you can't help but think that Apple will have to go in that direction before long. Your chances are definitely better with the Mac Pro than the iMac or any of the laptops though.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They already do. Buy your own drive. It will be infinitely cheaper.

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Please elaborate! Are you talking BD support in beta SW? 10.5.7 doesn't support BD.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

OS X supports the reading and writing of Blu-ray data media. Final Cut Studio 3 supports the writing of Blu-ray video media.

That's support.

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Thanks for explaining.

It isn't the support that I would expect. I still have to boot Vista to watch my Blu-Ray disks. Its a bit annoying to be forced to use Microsoft on a Mac for such a mundane task, but I got used to it.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mmm... Use MakeMKV to rip the disks, use tsMuxerGUI to convert to a usable format, and then use Handbrake to make them MP4 files. Done! Leave your spinning disk media behind.

8. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Hmmm, a three step process! A lot of work compared to two minutes to start Vista. How much time would that take on an everage octad Mac Pro for lets say "The dark knight" (145 min). Do you have an other reference?

9. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

What battle. The was over about 6 months ago...

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I'd set aside at least a few days to get a season of something from Blu-Ray. It took my C2Q Studio 540 3-4 days to do a season of House from DVD.

11. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Apple treats Blu-ray the same way they treated USB 2.0. I think eventually they will fully support it, but I'm not sure when.

12. malfaris thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it will take some time for the new one to come since the latest one just introduced, I think in March 2009 if not mistaken. I am very tempted, I dont feel I can wait all this time.

13. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Having support for burning and reading DATA off Blu-Ray drives is one thing... (And so far that support is added in by 3rd party tools, not built into the OS itself.)

Having support for VIEWING/WATCHING Blu-Ray movies played straight off the disks is quite another, and currently doesn't exist in OSX.

I think most people are wanting to see BOTH supported, and certainly the 2nd option.

I'm hopeful that if/when Apple decides to include BR support in the OS + add the drive to the Mac Pro, it'll be possible to buy the drive separately and add it into the existing 2009 model without too much hassle.

14. pooryou macrumors 65816

That's way too much time and effort just to watch a movie, imo.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Fortunately, you only have to do it once and then your movie is perpetually keyed up for you. No swapping disks, no waiting for disks to load, no menus to navigate, no waiting for the disk to read, etc.

16. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

So you do not even have an estimate? I do not watch movies so often and I do not buy them all.

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, to do all that? If I remember correctly, it would take under four hours, the predominance of which being spent in HandBrake.

18. pooryou macrumors 65816

No way would that be worth it to me. The movie is already stored on the disk, I don't have any need or desire to duplicate that utility just to save putting a disk in. Quite inefficient IMO. If it's worth it to you then by all means go for it.