New Mac Pro + World of Warcraft (WoW)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BigJuicyVan, Feb 18, 2008.

1. BigJuicyVan macrumors newbie

Hey guys help me out here. I am new to macs, wanted the best they could offer before i became assimilated into the mac world so i waited for the new mac pro. Just got it and the only game i am playing is World of Warcraft. I have the 8800GT video card and 4gb of ram, the rest is as they ship it in their "standard version" of the new Mac Pro's.

I can't get over 60 frames per second with the settings maxed out. Even when i take the Multisampling to 24-Bit Color 24-bit depth 1X Multisample.

Everything is maxed out, everything. I know when i have the multisampling turned up to 4x i should be able to get over 60fps when i am like, looking at the sky or something, but i cant get it over 60fps. What do i need to do? I have read on some Blizzard forums about typing in commands like "/console GLFaster 0/1/2" but none of that is changing anything. I am running 10.5.2 of Leopard.

Help me out here guys.

2. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

My guess is that your card is limiting fps because of the refresh rate of your monitor.

Edit. Especially if you have v-sync/vertical sync enabled.

3. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

You can't get over 60fps? Boo hoo! I play (fairly comfortably) at 16fps. I don't get why you need more than a whopping 60fps.

I don't mean to insult, just saying I cracked up reading that.

4. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I did the same.. 60fps... hel even 30 fps would make me giddy i'm happy with my 16-20 on my MB

Oh yeah , and to add, it's a freaking laptop, you want higher, you should have gotten the Mac Pro 2xquad core

5. Pili macrumors regular

Its the game accounting for the monitor's refresh rate. I have the same thing with my 2407 and 8800gt.

6. OZMP macrumors 6502

consider yourself lucky, with most things maxed, i am lucky to get 18FPS... Turning off V-sync gained me 3FPS, it was ~12-15 before

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

That's odd, I get 60+ FPS at almost all times with my HD2600 XT. I only use 24 bit 1x Multisampling as well.

8. Heliconsoul macrumors member

Turn v sync off and you will get over 120 fps.

Only thing is your monitor can only show 60 fps so you will get screen tearing. The game runs beautifully on my MP. I even get 50 fps+ in 25-man raids :D

9. whistler222 macrumors 6502

how do u turn vsync on/off?

oh and how are people TESTING what the FPS is?? where are u getting this info from? i'm always curious..

10. bosxe macrumors member

bosxe

Hover your mouse over the green link next to your bag/key slot.

I play on my MB and am usually at around 20fps and am completely content.

I don't understand the need for 60+ fps, maybe that's just me.

11. whistler222 macrumors 6502

i mean in general. for like crysis, or other games. how do u test FPS?

12. Gloor macrumors 6502a

13. Heliconsoul macrumors member

Under video options there is usually an option for "Vertical sync" or "Sync Every Frame"

Personally for WoW I have a Fubar mod that shows fps on screen.

14. whistler222 macrumors 6502

i'm playing Hellgate: London.

ctrl R didn't seem to work.. hmm any ideas?

15. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Indeed, V-sync will limit you to fractions of your monitors refresh rate (60, 30, etc). There's no need to have more than 60fps. Now, if you're saying you can't even get 60fps, then that might be another matter. I don't always get 60fps, but the X1900XT is less powerful.

16. Quash macrumors regular

I have the 8800GT and even that does not pull in 60fps always on a 23inch ACD with setting maxed. It does stay smooth even during extreme Mount Hyjal trash AOE but not at 60fps. But during questing it should be able to reach far above 100fps. But you have to disable V-sync of course.

17. Synthabusion macrumors newbie

every game has a different command to check your fps. there isn't a standard for that. in hellgate type /fps & it'll show up in the top left

18. iPapa macrumors member

Just a general note to those who say 60 fps isn't enough: Remember that the framerates in WoW vary a lot. An average framerate might look good, but there are highs and lows.

I'm currently playing on a G5 iMac (2.1GHz), and while I generally get 30 fps with low-mid settings, there are places where my framerate drops, mostly in crowded city areas (in front of the bank in Ironforge, the trade area in Stormwind), and it gets really frustrating in Shattrath, with frequent fps of anywhere between 0.4 and 15.

I'm about to buy a new Mac for work and pleasure (2.8GHz Quad MP with 8800gt or the highest specced iMac), and I would like to know how the 8800GT in the new MPs handles these fps drops seen particularly in Shattrath. Can anyone with this graphics card and who plays under OSX, mention their framerates - not the average fps, but the low extremes?

19. junior77 macrumors regular

MacPro 2.8 with 8800GT, 30" ACP at native resolution 2560x1600, ALL settings to MAX, with wireless connection to my router.

Normal ~50-60fps (LOW)
    Shattrah ~20-30fps (LOW)

20. Jonny427 macrumors regular

My comp (see sig) + 23" cinema and all settings maxed except for 2x multisampling:

Shattrah: 20fps (at 7pm server time on Cenarius)
    Hyjal Trash: 30fps (25 people + 12 mobs + ~20 npcs)

Runs great for me, but I think i'm used to lower framerates as I used to play on a 3 year old pc with midrange specs.

21. barijazz macrumors 6502

60fps isn't that bad. Unless you have some extra human powers you will probably not notice the difference between 60fps and 75fps.

22. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I know... i maxed all my settings and love it on my new MP... an upgrade from a PB1.67... huge difference, not to mention much bigger monitor. And I got my gf on it too... that puts me back on the laptop. Sheesh.

Sorry, a bit off topic here... but what realms are everyone on (PvP or Normal?)

Ner'zul here.

23. iPapa macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback on Shattrath fps. Of general interest - Barefeats has tested WoW with the 8800GT. Looking good. An average fps of 116...

Do the fans get audible when you guys play WoW on the MP with the 8800GT?

Btw, I'm on the Earthen Ring RP realm (Europe).

24. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

FPS goes up to 116? Somebody's pampered :p

25. skye247 macrumors newbie

Mac Pro + WoW = love

Tested out WoW on my new MP 2.8 quad core w/ 8800 GT -- coming from a MacBook it is *amazing*! Usually I'd get 5-11 fps in Shattrath .. now the absolute lowest I'm seeing is 30 fps or so. Outdoors, I'm getting 110 fps + .. I'm really, really happy.

Oh, and I'm on a PvP server. Crushridge.