New Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kikobarbada, Jun 30, 2007.

1. kikobarbada macrumors regular

Hi.

I've been thinking on buying a new mac pro, and according to the Developer Store (20% discount), here are the specs I'd like:

2 2.66ghz dual core
    1gb ram (2x512mb)
    1 250gb 7200rpm hd
    nvidia geforce 7300gt 256mb
    two 16x super drivers
    bluetooth
    airport extreme
    wireless mouse and keyboard

Which is 2,188.00.

Plus I would buy an additional 4gb ram extra kit from transintl.com for 328.00, totallizing 5gb ram. Also from the same site a 320gb hard disk for 79.00

I would like your opinion if these specs are good for Photoshop and FCE (HDV video) and stuff, and for how long do you think the processor will be good enough to use normal programmes (the ram and hd I can always upgrade). I suppose 4 years or so. Also, when the time comes and 8-core 3.0ghz processors are 200 bucks and not 1300, is it easy to change the processor (to use it about more 3 years)? And can I keep upgrading processor or this Intel MacPro only supports up to a certain processor?

Thanks a lot, Kiko.

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The processor can be upgraded in the future, but it must be a processor that supports that chipset/motherboard/i probably don't know what I'm talking about.

The Octo 3 ghz is the fastest processor that can currently be installed in the Mac Pro, who knows if there will be anything faster for that chipset.

Did you factor in a display?

The processor as it is should handle final cut express just fine.

The complaint about HDV is that it is slow to encode/render on just about any machine, it is a bit annoying to work with for the people that use it professionally.

3. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

I use FC Express and PRO occasionally but CS3 (all programmes) all the time. I just wonder if this is good enough to edit HDV and digitalized 16mm and 35mm videos.

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Yes the Mac Pro is good enough for CS3.

If you like some SERIOUS multi-tasking, the Octo would be right up your alley.

The Quad 2.66 is plenty fast for what you ask for.

5. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Wow, I can't believe people are asking if a mac pro is fast enough for anything. They just seem so powerful to me I can't expect anything not to run.

In terms of your needs, I think you'll be running great for many years to come. If the mac pro's are as upgradable as the powermac g4's are you'll have a machine that might last you many years. Good luck.

6. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

Oh really? Try editing a 10layer TIFF with 100mb photos on each layer? 1GB ram for each application you're using the picture.

It can't do everything, especially if you don't have at least 2gb ram.

7. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

By all means go for it, if you are happy with the current technology (like I am) then now is a perfect time to purchase. The 2.66Ghz should suit your needs very nicely, stock it up with RAM and you'll have a beat of a machine which will run you well for years to come.

8. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The Mac Pro can have up to 32 gigs of ram.

It's a very capable machine, you just need the $$ to make it scream.

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Trying to wait for new models this October and get Leopard.

10. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

What makes you say October?
    Is there an event then?

I'm planning on getting an 8 coreMac Pro for my Final Project at Uni (Music video, using Motion3, FC, After Effects, Logic pro etc)

But after reading something about the mobo being outdated I thibnk I'll wait.

Are we likely to see a proper redisgned 8 core MP?

11. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

October is when Leopard is supposed to come out. :apple:

12. bocomo macrumors 6502

i got an almost identical mac pro just after the octo was announced. i use cs3 VERY heavily and have been very pleased. the guts of that thing make it a joy to upgrade by the way. get it and enjoy:)

13. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

Cool - Thanks mate :)