New Mac Questions:

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wayland1985, Jul 12, 2009.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

My girlfriend just bought her first mac (With a lot of persuasion from me). I noticed iChat shows her as away, even though she's "Available". I know my early 2008 MBP's iChat has been having some sort of issue not registering myself as away. Is this a problem on her end, or mine? And what could be the issue?

Next question: If I were to reformat my Mac... Should I use the software disks that came with my MBP, or can I just use Leopard, which I bought years ago with my Powerbook??? I know some drivers aren't on the Leopard disk for my MBP, but wouldn't they update on a software update?

And Finally: She got an iPod touch, with software 2.2 installed. Shouldn't 3.0 be available for free????

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Can't help you there.

Use the ones that came with it, it probably will not run the original retail disc.

No, for the iPod Touch, the update is $10.

3. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

I purchased the Leopard separately. It does run on my new MBP, but maybe there's something wrong in the ichat coding that causes the issues?

I guess I'll reformat tonight with the original disks that came with my MBP.

Thanks for the reallllly quick reply!

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

By not run, I meant the version of Leopard on the disc is probably too old for the new MBP.